1. Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
    Dismiss Notice

walkthroughs yea or nay??

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dizzi, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Dizzi

Dizzi magical internet cat.... ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊5,298
    just the above question, but do you prefer pictures or loadsa text in the walkthrough?

personally as im deaf i use walkthroughs for audio led parts of games if needed like lost woods in OoT...

2. Magic Bean Seller

Magic Bean Seller The Apocalyptic Overlord ZD Champion Forum Volunteer

Rupees:
    ◊10,522
    I generally prefer pictures in a walkthrough or guide mostly due to the fact people aren't the best at describing and so dance around what the items location is "it's around the corner by the side of the statue of this thing" - "when going through area look behind specific statue" sums it up far easier, but nope people have to dance around it. Pisses me off when they do that, i'm looking for a walkthrough i.e a quick to the point guide not some idiot going on about their life's pros n cons and then explains the items location in a random way.

Vanessa28 likes this.
  3. Spirit

Spirit ZD Legend

Top Poster Of Month

Rupees:
    ◊49,262
    I rarely use guides unless i get totally stuck and even then only for the part im stuck on.

I prefer picutres in guides.

4. Vanessa28

Vanessa28 Angel of Darkness Staff Member ZD Champion Administrator

Rupees:
    ◊14,303
    Sometimes text can explain a lot but pics show the exact thing to do or the exact location to find something. I only use a walkthrough when I'm really stuck.

5. misskitten

misskitten Hello Sweetie!

Rupees:
    ◊2,705
    Video > picture > text for me.

Text can do some of the job, but you can have trouble translating the directions to what you do in the game, it's easy to get turned around and not be where you need to be. Pictures are a step up as they can more clearly illustrate where to go and what to do. Video is best, though, as sometimes seeing the movement done helps you understand what you need to do.

6. NintendoCN

NintendoCN Team Captain

Rupees:
    ◊2,535
    Most of the walkthroughs I use have more text than pictures, but if I'm lost in a dungeon, more specifically a FF dungeon, I would use the pictures of the map to find where I'm going.

7. Krow

Krow Avian Deity

Rupees:
    ◊408
    Videos are the way to go.

8. Azure Sage

Azure Sage Spread Smiles! Staff Member ZD Legend Comm. Coordinator

Rupees:
    ◊14,916
    I use guides if I am not trying to challenge myself. For parts of the game that just aren't fun for me at the moment, I'll use a guide for just that part. If I'm doing something like achievement hunting, there's no way I would do that blindly. If I'm solving puzzles, I definitely prefer not to use a guide unless I have to. I do prefer pictures in them because it helps me make sure I'm at the right spot.

9. Krow

Krow Avian Deity

Rupees:
    ◊408
    To be technical, I usually try to beat the game without a guide, then I use a guide to mop up any collectibles I didn't find, or couldn't figure out afterwards.

10. A Link In Time

A Link In Time Break the Ice! ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊11,971
    I try to avoid using walkthroughs if I can. But if I get stumped for over an hour, I will use one. Text with pictures preferred because it's easier for me to navigate than a video walkthrough.