• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Volvagia Back Story. May Be Spoilers... ?

P

princess-kikyo

Okay, Love Ocarina of Time, and am new to this site, and alot of people mention a back story for volvagia.

I have read the manga for this, and in it Link buys this dragon for 70 rupees to set it free. And has a bond with it as it is a dragon that can memorise and say some words, and ends up saying "Link". This is only a flash back and link is sad about killing her. But I also noticed that there was nothing about it being defeated with a megaton hammer either.. Link slays her with the sword... It was really sad...

So was just wondering if someone could tell me if this is the back story or if there is even more.

Also, What I don't get is that in the game i think it is, it says something about volvagia being revived as an ancient enemy, and it makes me wonder about the manga and the game.. So because I am out of Ideas, I would like to hear your theories. :D

Volvagia

Gentlemanly Lava Dragon
As far as I know, the game never exactly goes into much detail about Volvagia's origins, but I really hope that they will be revealed in a prequil (Skyward sword, maybe?). As you can probably guess, Volvagia was one of my favorite bosses.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Well the manga was based off the video game, so they probably just threw in that story as a bonus. As far as what Miyamoto intended, I'm not sure if Volvagia had a backstory... However, the thing you said about it being an ancient enemy stands true, so maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see Volvagia in Skyward Sword. :)

The manga isn't cannonical, which means that Miyamoto didn't say that the manga is a part of Hyrulean history.
Link of the Gorons explained Volvagia's backstory (as far as we know) in Ocarina of Time:

"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true!"

Now there's a few interesting things there. Volvagia ate Gorons, he was scary, and he lived a long time ago.
In the manga, Link bought Volvagia when he was a kid, and seven years later, it was fully grown, which is understandable, but doesn't match up with what Link of the Gorons says about Volvagia eating Gorons. Volvagia probably couldn't eat Gorons as tiny as he was.

Now, there's another interesting thing, Link of the Gorons also said that the Hero of the Gorons used the Megaton Hammer to....BOOOM! Destroy Volvagia just like that.
But what he didn't say is if the Hero of the Gorons was a Goron, or perhaps a Hylian. See what I'm getting at?

We might see Gorons, Volvagia, a fiery mountain, and a really big hammer in Skyward Sword since it takes place before Ocarina of Time, and at least a century due to the "land underneath Skyloft". But, there's a small chance we might not see any of those. Link of the Gorons said that he was the Hero of the Gorons to scare away Ganon's minion's, suggesting that the Hero was a Goron. But he was also named Link, or whatever you named the character, and Link wasn't a Goron.

So basically, that's a really long answer with some theorizing in it for:
The only backstory we have is what Link of the Gorons told us, and the manga isn't canonical.

Djinn

and Tonic
True the manga does contradict the little amount of story given in the game. The Gorons mentioned Volvagia a a threat from "a long time ago" but this does not match the maga story of Link purchasing him as a child. and that the orignal story had fallen into myth, for a story to become a myth like that it would have to be several generations old. So clearly in the game storyline Link could not have bought a baby Volvagia from any merchant. It was an ancient dragon that was a danger to Death Mountain but was killed, only to be revived again much later by Ganondorf.

Now, there's another interesting thing, Link of the Gorons also said that the Hero of the Gorons used the Megaton Hammer to....BOOOM! Destroy Volvagia just like that.
Actually you are missing the last part of the quote, Darunia's son Link goes on to mention that his father was a descendant of the hero that defeated Volvagia long ago. So it was a Goron Hero from a past age that previously defeated Volvagia.
But what he didn't say is if the Hero of the Gorons was a Goron, or perhaps a Hylian. See what I'm getting at?
"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link the Goron

Even Navi comments states that it was an old threat brought back to life by Ganondorf
Volvagia It's the Boss of the Fire Temple, revived by the Evil Kinghttp://www.zeldawiki.org/Ganon. I don't know its weak point.

Not much else is really known, but other related being like Barba in AoL and Valoo in WW appear and might be more than just two more red fire dragons. Barba is often considrered to be the same creature as Volvagia, and Valoo is considrered to be directly related. Since they both live on what is assumed to be Death Mountain, and the temple leading to Valoo closely resembles the Fire Temple of OoT. Since Valoo has been deified by a people and is considered more than just a dragon, the same might be true for Volvagia. Either could be the spirits of the mountains they are found in as mountain guardian spirits taking the form of dragons is not uncommon in world mythology.

Many mountains of the world were deified and sometimes the spirits of them took the shape of giants or dragons, in the case of volcanoes they could appear as dragons. Mountain worship was not too uncommon in various cultures so adding Valoo as the friendly deity of the mountain worshiped by the Rito people or Volvagia as the fiery spirit of the active Volcano Death Mountain is not too different a concept.
Shirayamahime no Kami 白山比売 (aka Kukurihime no Kami 菊理媛神 aka Hakusan Myōri Daibosatsu 白山妙理大菩薩) is the central kami of the Hakusan mountains. This deity is considered a "water kami" (suijin 水神), one who controls the rivers and seas. Since Hakusan's peaks are the source of four great rivers (the Tedori, Kuzuryu, Nagara, and Sho), this association with water is easily understood. The deity is also considered a "dragon kami" (ryūjin 竜神). The dragon -- in both Shinto and Buddhist lore -- is a controller of rain, tempests, and tides.
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/hakusan-sacred-sites-japan.html

P

princess-kikyo

So just cos it happened in the manga doesn't mean it happened that way. :| Or reincarnation? but was very cute? :| I dunno. Still a tad confused.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I think that the first "Hero of Gorons" was the first Sage of Fire. I have believed for a long time that we ewould see Volvagia in SS.

B

Bernkastel

I think that the first "Hero of Gorons" was the first Sage of Fire. I have believed for a long time that we ewould see Volvagia in SS.

"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true!"

I think we will see Volvagia in SS, it doesn't make sense for a kid to know about something that happened in the future but state it in past tense. :)

Well maybe you have to fight volvagia together with the hero of the gorons in skyward sword :) *Hope Hope Hope*

DekuNut

I play my drum for you

I think we will see Volvagia in SS, it doesn't make sense for a kid to know about something that happened in the future but state it in past tense. :)

What... are you saying that SS comes after OoT? i don't understabd what you're saying here...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The story in the manga about Link buying Volvagia as a baby dragon in Castle Town was just something the writer decided to do. The real story is what's said in-game. That Volvagia was a dragon in older days of the Gorons and that it ate them. One Goron took the Megaton Hammer and killed Volvagia with one hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom