• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Voice Acting In Future Zelda Games

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Hello fellow Zelda Dungeoners. A big question is "will there ever be voice acting in Zelda?" Well I for one would love to see this happen. But there's things that Nintendo will need to be handled properly, or else we'll get another CD-i type game. Speaking of which, I wonder what's for dinner. Below is what I think would make a great voice acted installment.

I think that all characters should talk but Link. Link is you and when someone is talking to you, sometimes there's options to choose from (Yes, No, Sure, Whatever). In a way, when you choose Yes, Link is technically speaking even though he doesn't say anything. Plus Nintendo of Japan and American would have to get the best voices out there. I'll use Groose for example. When I first say Groose, I though his voice would sound like a person who tries to act tough but just can't pull it off properly. We wouldn't want Groose to have the wrong voice actor and sound like a wimp or something else. Also, the mouth movements would have to be in sync when the game is translated into English. If not, it would look like a bad Godzilla dub.

I also think that Nintendo should give you the option of hearing the voices when you start a new game. After you type in your name (or keep it as Link if you're a true fan), it says "Play Your Adventure With Voices? Yes, No". You choose and then bam! You play the game to what you choose.

What do you guys think? Are you with this idea? Against it?

Last edited:
As I've said in the hundreds of other threads regarding this topic, no. NO. I swear to Fenrir, I'd quit the Zelda series in a heartbeat if voice-acting were ever to be implemented into future games in the series. I can almost guarantee that Link, Zelda, and others' voices would simply sound awful in such a hypothetical title. However, I'd be slightly inclined to give voice-acting the benefit of the doubt if Link remained silent. Ugh... I can just imagine how jarring Link's voice would be... "Hiiiiyaaaht!"

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Voice Acting and Zelda

As I've said in the hundreds of other threads regarding this topic, no. NO. I swear to Fenrir, I'd quit the Zelda series in a heartbeat if voice-acting were ever to be implemented into future games in the series. I can almost guarantee that Link, Zelda, and others' voices would simply sound awful in such a hypothetical title. However, I'd be slightly inclined to give voice-acting the benefit of the doubt if Link remained silent. Ugh... I can just imagine how jarring Link's voice would be... "Hiiiiyaaaht!"

Can... can you please provide some actual reasoning as to why you oppose voice acting? What I got of this was basically "just because".

Deeds

no text
Voice Acting and Zelda

Can... can you please provide some actual reasoning as to why you oppose voice acting? What I got of this was basically "just because".

Well, Wolf says, "I can almost guarantee that Link, Zelda, and others' voices would simply sound awful in such a hypothetical title." Meaning he opposes voice acting, because he thinks that the voice acting wouldn't sound good, and could potentially ruin the game for him. Though, as he says, only because it's "a hypothetical title".

I agree with him, Link's been portrayed as a voice-less character for so long, that any kind of voice would sound false for him.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Well, Wolf says, "I can almost guarantee that Link, Zelda, and others' voices would simply sound awful in such a hypothetical title." Meaning he opposes voice acting, because he thinks that the voice acting wouldn't sound good, and could potentially ruin the game for him. Though, as he says, only because it's "a hypothetical title".

I agree with him, Link's been portrayed as a voice-less character for so long, that any kind of voice would sound false for him.

1) There's no basis for the argument that they would automatically have bad voice actors (seriously, that's a straw man)

2) Nintendo will never give Link lines

Deeds

no text
1) There's no basis for the argument that they would automatically have bad voice actors (seriously, that's a straw man)
Better safe than sorry, and like you've stated in your article - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. It's not like LoZ is losing anything by not having voice acting, more-so gaining something of a uniquity.

Kirino

Tatakae
Better safe than sorry, and like you've stated in your article - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. It's not like LoZ is losing anything by not having voice acting, more-so gaining something of a uniquity.

I hate that saying. People tend to just use it as an excuse not to take risks just because they're afraid of change, which is a terrible mindset. By that logic, what's the point of changing anything? Zelda just needs to catch-up and add voice acting already.

Deeds

no text
I hate that saying. People tend to just use it as an excuse not to take risks just because they're afraid of change, which is a terrible mindset. By that logic, what's the point of changing anything? Zelda just needs to catch-up and add voice acting already.

Well, I hate going to school everyday, but in the long run - it's the most important thing I do. Same goes for everything, whatever you hate, you still need to be open to it, when it's used correctly. I understand that it's used when someone is afraid of change, and that can be a bad thing. Not in this case, though. I'm afraid of this change, evidently, because there's a larger chance it could ruin the charm of the game, than adding to it. Only because it already has twice the charm than other games do that have voice acting.
So, no. Nintendo don't need to 'catch up and add voice acting'. This is a series that spans back to the origin of video games, and it lives off nostalgia, for me. You may not feel that way, and that is perfectly fine, but Nintendo definitely do not need to 'catch up'. There's nothing for them to catch up to, for the series is already 10x better than most games out there.

I argued AGAINST the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. It's a logical fallacy.

I know, but if I said it without stating that you'd already mentioned it, it would make me look a bit dim.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm afraid of this change, evidently, because there's a larger chance it could ruin the charm of the game, than adding to it. Only because it already has twice the charm than other games do that have voice acting.

Zelda's charm comes from its whimsy, not its lack of voice acting. (Twilight Princess proved this to a degree.) There's no solid reason available to argue that voice acting would take away that whimsy.

So, no. Nintendo don't need to 'catch up and add voice acting'. This is a series that spans back to the origin of video games, and it lives off nostalgia, for me. You may not feel that way, and that is perfectly fine, but Nintendo definitely do not need to 'catch up'. There's nothing for them to catch up to, for the series is already 10x better than most games out there.

I don't think the term "catch up" is proper for the addition of voice acting, but that wasn't Draco's underlying point. His point was something I said in my article. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality can be applied to anything. It could be used to argue that nothing new should ever be added to Zelda, which is just plain dumb.

.:Brony:.

Head Brony of ZD
My thoughts on voice acting:

I think they should tweet out a script, nothing long, and then setup a YouTube channel for people to send in auditions to. Let the fans decide. They pick the 5 they think are the best candidates for the job and then let us pick who we like out of those 5. I mean, we are the ones that are going to be playing the game, I think this seems more than fair. We should get someone who's voice we don't mind hearing all the time.

Or they could do it like this:

Tweet out a script, set up the channel, then let whoever gets the most likes be the voice of Link.

Other thoughts:I think we should hold auditions for Zelda as well..

--

Pros to this idea:
  • The fans get a say.
  • We feel important for once

Cons:
  • 4chan will find a way to mess up this plan.
--

I think whoever voices everyone else is up to them to decide. But considering we play as Link, we should get a say in what he sounds like. We have to hear it throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae
My thoughts on voice acting:

I think they should tweet out a script, nothing long, and then setup a YouTube channel for people to send in auditions to. Let the fans decide. They pick the 5 they think are the best candidates for the job and then let us pick who we like out of those 5. I mean, we are the ones that are going to be playing the game, I think this seems more than fair. We should get someone who's voice we don't mind hearing all the time.

Or they could do it like this:

Tweet out a script, set up the channel, then let whoever gets the most likes be the voice of Link.
--

Pros to this idea:
  • The fans get a say.
  • We feel important for once

Cons:
  • 4chan will find a way to mess up this plan.

Link shouldn't even have a voice.

And it's not like they can do that for every single character.

.:Brony:.

Head Brony of ZD
Link shouldn't even have a voice.

And it's not like they can do that for every single character.

Read my edit, I accidentally hit the submit button. I understand they can't do this for every character, but they should at least do this for Link & Zelda. It wouldn't be that difficult. The voice actors shouldn't be paid either, they should be rewarded with the fact they are voicing someone in one of their favorite games.

Ugh so many topics about Zelda and Voice acting, it's getting a little repetitive =/

I'll say it once, I'll say it again: Zelda does not need voice acting. Maybe Voice Acting is a good thing in general, but Nintendo aren't gonna add it just to please the fans. There has to have some valid excuse to include it, just to catch up with other games isn't a very good excuse, All Voice Acting is in this case is a Fan Pleaser. Zelda has done very well without it so there really is no need to include Voice acting.

And for the record, even if Voice Acting were included for some very odd reason, I have no objection with Link having a speaking voice. I just don't see the problem. Yeah most of the time Link is the silent one, but he has actually spoken in Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and the Wind Waker before. Not only that, but through each Zelda game from Link's Awakening onwards, Link has developed a personality and has becomes a fully established character. I don't see Link as myself when playing a Zelda game, I see Link as... Link: his own character who is his own being and has his own personality. Because of this I see no violation to giving Link a Speaking voice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom