• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Visible IVs/EVs: Yes or No?

Should IVs and EVs be visible in X/Y?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Austin

Austin
Many of us into competitive battling or otherwise obsessive training are familiar with individual values and effort values, colloquially known as IVs and EVs. Anyone who has attempted to perfect their Pokemon's IVs and EVs know what an annoying task this can be, and it mostly boils down to one factor; your Pokemon's IVs and current EVs are not plainly visible. For IVs, you need to either use an IV calculator or rely on slightly cryptic messages from an NPC. For EVs, you have to keep tally, usually with a pen and paper.

It's still rather tricky to breed a Pokemon with good IVs even if they are all visible, and it's still a time-consuming task to get its EVs correct, but I really cannot help but think that making the stats invisible offers no enjoyable challenge and only serves to make an already complicated task even more tedious. With the new games coming out, I hope they make the decision to make the stats visible

What do you all think? Should IVs and EVs become visible stats that you can track in a menu somewhere in the new games, or should they remain hidden?

Just imagine how much easier it would be to train your Pokémon to be competitive if this feature existed. I also think it would be nice if the Pokédex would show how many EV points certain Pokémon give.

Austin

Austin
I also think it would be nice if the Pokédex would show how many EV points certain Pokémon give.
That's a fantastic idea as well. I could understand keeping all this stuff secret when it was first added to the games, but the information is out there now. They may as well make it more convenient for us to use.

Kazumi

chagy
I would definitely love Gamefreak to add visual indicators of Pokemon's EVs and IVs for X and Y. This would obviously make training Pokemon for competitive battling a much easier task, and removes the necessity of keeping track of your training using an external method. I know that I would be much more willing to EV train or IV breed Pokemon if it was more convenient for me, rather than just getting a computer to do it.

Gamefreak has already added indicators for Nature a while back, which is a good first step. However, I agree that this is something that needs to happen for X and Y.

Kybyrian

I would love for the games to have visible EVs and IVs. It lets you know where you stand as far as training your Pokemon goes (or Pokemon you've received in trades for that matter). I don't know if it would motivate me to actually EV train my Pokemon much more than before, but, especially with the addition of visible IVs, it would make the whole process so much easier. I also agree with the idea of the Pokedex entries for Pokemon showing the amount of EVs you obtain from defeating each Pokemon. This would be extremely useful information, and I don't see a reason to keep it hidden any longer.

There were some people in the games that told you which EVs your Pokémon had, but it was done very vaguely by just stating which stat your Pokémon excelled in. I welcome the idea of actually showing what EVs/IVs your Pokémon have, it will help significantly when training certain Pokémon.

Austin

Austin
Wait. What are IVs and Evs/ What are they for? I've never even HEARD of them...
They're basically two sets of hidden values that differentiate any two Pokemon of the same species from one another. Competitive battlers will often spend a lot of time perfecting them to gain an edge over their opponents. The Wiki can explain more.

Individual values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Effort values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Deeds

no text
On a first glance at this thread, I immediately thought - Yes. But after thinking for a while, I've changed my mind. Pokemon's always hidden these values, and for them to show them, in my opinion, would be too much like a Pokemon MMO. For example, PokeMMO, a very well known Online PC pokemon game that connects a lot of people around the world using the rom of Fire Red. The Rom has been modified for the user to be able to see EV's. Of course, it's extremely helpfull when leveling, but isn't like a normal pokemon game. I think they should keep hidden, it's more of a hidden coded formula to me, then casual statistics.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As a newbie to EVs and IVs...and never once actually eating the meat of a competitive Pokemon player, I would absolutely love to see the two counters go visible. I am pretty sure that Nintendo knows the counters exist (how else would tourneys go along? ;p), so why have to go through the arduous task of P&Ping every stat gain you make (or typing it out if that's the route you choose)?

I mean, I guess there is some fun in pen/papering your stats that I just don't really appreciate (I had fun making maps on paper even with a minimap clearly ingame), but making the things visible is just a convenience y'know? Perhaps you could turn them on/off for those who prefer pen/paper? xD

Wait. What are IVs and Evs/ What are they for? I've never even HEARD of them...

Exactly. They're an important game mechanic that nobody would ever pick up on if they hadn't looked it up online or been told of it elsewhere.

I see no reason to keep them hidden, but a lot of good things that can come from making them visible. Suddenly, your adventure becomes more personal and customizable. Want to put a higher emphasis on your Charizard's already formidable offense, or round it out by working on its defense? Those who regard Pokemon very competitively (which I haven't) would find much of the stress and fuss gone, allowing them to train without too many worries.

The more I think about it, the more I need to be reminded why Game Freak is keeping this precious information hidden in the first place.

On a first glance at this thread, I immediately thought - Yes. But after thinking for a while, I've changed my mind. Pokemon's always hidden these values, and for them to show them, in my opinion, would be too much like a Pokemon MMO. For example, PokeMMO, a very well known Online PC pokemon game that connects a lot of people around the world using the rom of Fire Red. The Rom has been modified for the user to be able to see EV's. Of course, it's extremely helpfull when leveling, but isn't like a normal pokemon game. I think they should keep hidden, it's more of a hidden coded formula to me, then casual statistics.

...I still fail to see the problem. I'm not sure how Pokemon bearing vague resemblance to an MMO warrants EVs and IVs remaining hidden.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
If they remain hidden, I will continue to use a Pro Action replay to make them visible. I've reached a point in my life where simple expediency and saving time for other aspects of my life far outweighs any honor code of doing it 'the right way'.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Yes, most definitely. Now that I'm more concerned with EV/IV's for competitive reasons, this will make the whole process easier for me. I mean, it'll still be time-consuming to breed a Pokemon with good IV's and then get it the proper EV's like I am doing now, that's just part of the game. But being able to actually see the EV/IV values would expedite the process.

Also, I'm not a fan of the argument of keeping them hidden and forcing us to keep track of it ourselves for some notion of doing it "the right way." We already know the stats for Attk, Def. Sp. Attk., etc, and the impact Natures have on the development, why not also show us this? Besides, I like keeping track of stuff on pad & pen for other stuff, like deciphering the braille messages in Emerald and drawing out the map of the Abyssal Ruins in Black 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom