• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Virtual Reality Gaming

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Virtual Reality style gaming experiences have been developed for quite a while. Now in 2019 there are a range of VR-style gaming headsets available such as Oculus, Playstation VR, Samsung Gear VR, and more.

Have you had a chance to use any of these "VR" devices yet? Do you find them to be an enjoyable gaming experience that you see yourself partaking more in going forward or as more of a gimmick?

I tried the Oculus Rift a few years back at a gaming expo and really enjoyed the feeling of immersion it offered me in the demo I played through, I don't remember the name but it was a small game by an indie developer. It did make me feel a little dizzy though so I'd like to soon try it again and see how newer versions and different software might effect me differently. The technology seems fairly gimmicky to me at the first glance but I do think that there are great potential for gaming experiences (plus many other applications) with the increasing improvement of the technology. I am interested to keep watching the space going forward.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah I have an Occulus Rift and I am in love with VR. I first tried my friends Rift and played Robo Recall and Killing Floor. I knew after that I needed a VR but that I would never play Killing Floor again because it is terrifying.

I love how immersive the games can be and how you feel like you are actually in the game rather than looking in from your seat. I'd say that currently there are a lot of good novel experiences which are great fun and ones like Beat Saber which you can add new songs to and go back to. I am still waiting for complete story based RPG's to come to VR, yeah there is Skyrim and Fallout but they weren't designed with VR in mind and if you play, Robo Recall or Blade and Sorcery you understand how VR mechanics can be implemented and that it's only a matter of time before rich big budget story based games utilise these mechanics too.

Some games can make you feel sick at first. Having a fan on you at all times and playing for short periods until you get used to it is a big help. I always keep a fan on anyway because it makes me feel like there is a draft or wind and it helps immersion.

I do think that VR is gonna be much bigger in the future but that more traditional gaming will still be around too. Its not like you'd need the technology for 2D Zelda or mario for instance. There is also a lot of scope for its use in learning and education so I expect it to take off there as well.

I'm hesitant to try VR until we see more fleshed out experiences using the technology. The only time I ever considered checking out VR was for Resident Evil 7. It seems like a really good fit for horror games as it makes the jump scares feel all the more real. Unfortunately, that's the exception. Most VR games right now look like glorified tech demos to me.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Me and my sister played some demos in the local game store and I have to say that I like it! It really gives you a feeliong you're actually into the game and part odf it rather than justcontrolling the character(s) through the joystick. I saw the characters running past me and it was so real

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom