• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Violence

www.zeldainmypocket.com
What are your thoughts on the violence that may occur in the next few Zelda games? Do you want gore, injuries, etc? To what extent?

I like the idea of having minor wounds, perhaps even some that last for a while. Such as if Link takes a heavy blow to his face, there will be either a cut or a bruise that stays there for maybe a "real-time" day or so.

I don't like the idea of having dismemberment or decapitations, as there are many gamers who are not allowed to purchase games with extensive violence. I do like the idea of having a little bit of blood, but not to the point of splatters and drips. A T-rating amount, I suppose you could say.

So what are your thoughts/reasons on this subject?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I would agree with that.

I mean, in some of the Zelda games, it would be out of place. A Wind Waker type game, the cute little cartoony characters - I like the cartoonyness there... you hit Miniblins with a hammer and they flatten and look comical.... And something in me doesn't want to see cute little Toon Link get really hurt... so I find "realistic violence" and blood as being out of place there.

Yet, with Twilight Princess, I was *missing* blood. The game was rated for "animated blood," right? All it had was like Ocarina of Time - mainly odd colored blood from various creatures. In both of those games (TP and Oot) I *wanted* to see Link get hurt. They were dark games, and while I thought it was cool to see Link double over, pant and cough when he was in critical condition, but I would have liked to see him shed a little blood. (He seems to in OoT, for just a moment - if he gets hit by certain things like the guillotines in the Shadow Temple, but it's just a little flash of red and he doesn't seem to carry any wounds after, it's left to your imagination).

But, yes, I would like to see him get some scratches and scrapes, maybe even bleed a little bit after getting hit by something like a guillotine or a very strong beast - which all can be taken away once he visits a fairy spring or drinks some medicine. I'd even like to see a cutscene at some point in a game wherein he gets hurt by something (as part of the story) and wakes up in a bed, bandaged up, having been cared for by his friends. (I think it would be rather sweet, the people caring for their Hero in turn for him saving/taking care of them. I wrote a fanfic like that once).

I mean, the levels of blood and gore don't have to be the way they are in many of my fanfics (I write dark), as it could hinder people from being able to/allowed by parents to play the game, but I'd like to see a little realism in a future game regarding blood and minor wounds.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Yes, I quite like that idea. Perhaps as part of the story, he could lose a finger or two, and seek revenge on the person/monster the injured him. That might make it a little too dark, but it would be interesting.

Well, there was Link's Awakening, where he is cared for after he's shipwrecked. That's as close as I can see, though.

Yes, I quite like that idea. Perhaps as part of the story, he could lose a finger or two, and seek revenge on the person/monster the injured him. That might make it a little too dark, but it would be interesting.

Well, there was Link's Awakening, where he is cared for after he's shipwrecked. That's as close as I can see, though.

I think it would be a bit weird for Link to lose his fingers, Either way it would make it very hard for him to hold a bow :lol:. Also I think that maybe a bit of blood now and then would be alright, I dont think though that I would like the idea of Link wanting to get revenge on someone for cutting off his fingers.

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
I liked the bruise idea, kind of like in Super Mario Sunshine, Mario gets the goop on his clothing and it doesn't come off unless you do a spin move or go in a body of water. It made the game more believable. I like the ''minor wounds'' not the more dangerous or serious wounds like the fingers, blood would just be TOO over the top.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I did like the occasional spurting of blood in OoT, to make me think I actually was hurting something. As compared to the red flash of light in WW, it was better for me. How that game avoided a T rating is beyond me, since Zelda TP got a T rating and barely had any blood and the same kind of violence.

But as for limbs flying everywhere, that is a bit...extreme, and not good for a Zelda title, expecially since they have built their rep around barely any blood or losing limbs recently.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I think there's a thread like this already, but I'm not really up for increasing the amount of physical wounds. There's always been a certain level of willing suspension of disbelief with Nintendo titles that have maintained to this day. While other games add real-time wounds, I don't think it is something that's needed for Zelda.

I would prefer a greater scale of weariness though. In recent Zelda titles, he seemed wiped out when he gets closer to having no hearts. Maybe he should have a more heoric chest-out stance at full health, and work his way down to almost crawling at half a heart. Of course, it would have to be a sliding scale depending on his total amount of heart containers.

Environmental effects such as being wet when coming out of water would be nice. There was a colour change in TP when he came out, but it could be done much better. Tomb Raider Legend was on Game Cube and when Lara came out of the water, she had a convincing water effect on her that dried in time. It actually gave a wet sheen to her skin that disappeared after a bit of time out of the water. Much more effective than Link's darker coloured tunic.

Link could get slime on him when attacked by Chus, or get webs stuck on him when walking through large skultulla webs in caves. It would be neat to even have his clothing charred black if he touches fire. As mentioned, performing a spin attack could remove the offending effect. Maybe not the case for fire, he might have to be healed to remove that effect.

Or better yet - add a tailor to the game you can pay to repair your clothing! Don't pay them and you go through the game battle damaged! It would be similar to one of the old Indiana Jones video games where if you lost your hat in a fight and didn't go back to pick it up, you played on without it.

I would welcome clothing and environmental damage, but not open wounds or missing limbs. Zelda doesn't have to be violent to be cool and I hope they don't have to stoop to the levels of some other next-gen games that push this as a selling point.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
What I'm thinking of is more like scrapes, like when you fall and skin your arm or your knee or something - a little damage like that from a monster seems realistic. Maybe on something big, big nasty scary stuff (ala situations like the Shadow Temple! Which has blood on the walls anyway!) , if he gets hurt by a very strong beast or falling blade, a little blood patch on the shoulder of the tunic that turns brown after a few seconds, gone when he gets full hearts - not a huge patch, no dripping or anything.

I wouldn't be in favor of him losing fingers, though. A slightly battle-damaged hero who keeps fighting is cool, a maimed hero is a major disadvantage. Like what was said - he'd have trouble holding a bow, and that's just if he lost a finger or two on his non-dominant hand.

I love the idea of the "sliding scale of exhaustion" and the battle damaged clothing with optional tailor.

Again, all of this is more workable in a more "realistic" older audience Zelda title rather than in the Toon universes, which I think should remain cute rather than gritty.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
What I'm thinking of is more like scrapes, like when you fall and skin your arm or your knee or something - a little damage like that from a monster seems realistic. Maybe on something big, big nasty scary stuff (ala situations like the Shadow Temple! Which has blood on the walls anyway!) , if he gets hurt by a very strong beast or falling blade, a little blood patch on the shoulder of the tunic that turns brown after a few seconds, gone when he gets full hearts - not a huge patch, no dripping or anything.

I wouldn't be in favor of him losing fingers, though. A slightly battle-damaged hero who keeps fighting is cool, a maimed hero is a major disadvantage. Like what was said - he'd have trouble holding a bow, and that's just if he lost a finger or two on his non-dominant hand.

I love the idea of the "sliding scale of exhaustion" and the battle damaged clothing with optional tailor.

Again, all of this is more workable in a more "realistic" older audience Zelda title rather than in the Toon universes, which I think should remain cute rather than gritty.

OK, how about if his girlfriend got her arm lopped off? Yes, I agree with you on the "style of art" topic. The clothing is a really great idea. Perhaps it could partially burn off if ignited. I don't mean in a revealing sense, or anything. ;)

Hmm... maybe you'd have to take your clothes to a tailor after they're damaged, assuming you want them repaired. You'd pay a small fee, of course. But then again, you'd want to have some sort of advantage to having nice clothes, rather than just good looks.

Shnappy

derp
I would want there to be blood/gore to the extent that it's not rated M. We don't want it to turn into Gears of War or Fallout. But why not put a little in? It makes it more realistic. Although this should only be in 3D. Having it in 2D would be odd and unfitting.

Last edited:

linkman8

True and Noble
To be honest, I like it where it is. I may not get many fans for saying that, but think about it. If you add gore and area damage (severing of limbs, etc.) then that would immediately drive away the younger population for the game, and would make the game become just another hack 'em up game.

I would not like any blood, gore, or significant violence in Zelda. At all. It doesn't belong in the series, IMO. It's contrary to the series' feel and nature, and it would be bad for the younger audience the games are intended for.

Some minor things like what was shown in the Shadow Temple in OoT are fine, but actual violence in battles or physical injury would be too much.

It frankly just sort of disturbs me to imagined any real violence in a future Zelda game. It just wouldn't be Zelda anymore...

In my opinion, it all depends. I like what axle said, but if it was just a small cut, then that would be fine. But, if it's a huge noticable cut across link's back or face, then that'd be too much. Zelda does have standards, and they like to stay away from too much gore.

If nintendo did put large scarring in there, then they'd be risking a lot, as fans and magazines would judge the series and probably put that series to an end (of course, and exageration)

Personally, I'm somewhat indifferent on the matter. Even though, I wouldn't might Link aquiring bruises or small cuts. A small bit a blood is fine.
As others have said, putting too much gore into the series would ruin it in a way, seeing is, as I believe Axle said, it goes against the nature of the series.

However, I think in games like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess (more 'realistic and darker' games) a bit of blood and cuts is fine. I think it adds realism and depth to the series. In Twilight Princess, I remember a few accounts in which there was "animated blood", namely during boss fights and the like. But, comparatively, I felt Twilight Princess had very little blood - looking back at Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time had quite a bit of blood, from 'stains' (Shadow Temple, Under the Well) to 'flashes' when Link or certain enemies were struck.
I wouldn't mind seeing this again, with sliglty more realistic blood. I also think it would be interesting to see Link get an occasional cut after a boss battle or something of the nature.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't like to see excessive amounts of gore in the game. I don't think enemies lying dead in maroon pools of blood would fit into a Zelda too well...

Also, as basement24 mentioned, I would really like to see environmental and clothing damage. I think it would be interesting to see Link's hat or tunic get torn from an enemie's attack, or loosing the hat altogether.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Also, as basement24 mentioned, I would really like to see environmental and clothing damage. I think it would be interesting to see Link's hat or tunic get torn from an enemie's attack, or loosing the hat altogether.

Aaand... that would lead to one of the *rare* times Link speaks in the series.

"My sacred hat! Noooooo!"

(joking, joking).

I do think he looks better without the hat, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom