• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Villains.

Dark Boo

The Darkest of Boos
Actually, how about we stop the discussion over the quality of Chrono Trigger altogether in this thread, because I am sick of arguing.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I feel like there's been quite the rise of sympathetic villains, with characters like Zuko, Thanos, 2019 Joker. Honestly it's not really that new nor unusual though, I can think of a trillion series that had a villain with some sort of eh backstory that turns into an ally to help defeat a bigger threat. And while I think it's nice and all to have characters that just show things aren't just Black & White, I don't necessarily think it makes any villain better? Slapping a semi-tragic backstory on a villain just to make them seem a bit more reasonable is kinda far-fetched and artificial sometimes.

Pure evil is kinda tricky because of what defines evil, but it certainly isn't boring. Most of the Joker iterations are pure evil and I find them truly fascinating. The masterminds in Danganronpa are pure evil and are entertaining. Disney villains are usually pure evil. Being pure evil doesn't mean bland, they can still have their own mindset and personality.

I actually find characters that act as supporting antagonists much more interesting and fascinating thanVillains fighting for their own goals, but I'm not sure if they can really be considered Villains. Is Komaeda a villain? lmao

Purely instinct antagonist like something like natural horror and stuff like zombies or the Alien that just goes around doing their stuff because that's who they are without any notion of good/evil is interesting too. I wonder if I can slap the very Earth as an antagonist in disaster movies?

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Slapping a semi-tragic backstory on a villain just to make them seem a bit more reasonable is kinda far-fetched and artificial sometimes.
Agreed
That's exactly what Naruto does. Sasuke, Pain, Obito, Madara everyone seemed to have the almost similar "tragic" past which tries to force emotions into viewers.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
When I look at most of my favorite stories, like the ones I love the most, they are often the ones without a straightforward antagonist. Heck, some of the best stories don't have an antagonist in the first place. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be Michael Myers/The Shape in the original Halloween, cause that ****er is pure evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom