• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Villains.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Of course he did, he destroyed the Sith by being a good guy and tossing Palpatine into the Death Star reactor. Now that's balance. I'm operating well within the confines of fiction but it should be noted that George Lucas took a lot of inspiration from real life politics.
It's unbalanced. There's no Sith left. Light and dark must coexist. At least in the Star Wars universe.
EDIT:Moe, or should I say Mikey, ninja'd me.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I'm pretty sure Lucas would disagree. Otherwise, why would Return of the Jedi end with no Sith left?
"The Force has two sides - [Light and Dark]. It is not a[n inherently] malevolent or a benevolent thing. It has a bad side to it, involving hate and fear, and it has a good side, involving love, charity, fairness and hope." -George Lucas, Times Magazine, 1980
"wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars." -George Lucas, Times Magazine, 2002

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
"The Force has two sides - [Light and Dark]. It is not a[n inherently] malevolent or a benevolent thing. It has a bad side to it, involving hate and fear, and it has a good side, involving love, charity, fairness and hope." -George Lucas, Times Magazine, 1980
"wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars." -George Lucas, Times Magazine, 2002
...huh... that's strange... then why did RotJ act like destroying the Sith altogether was a good thing?

(Now, not to sound like a whiny fanboy, but this is from after Lucas turned to the dark side of the filmmaking and storytelling quality. He did a lot of retconning around this time, and if it's alright with you I'll stick to the logic featured in the films that the Sith are the bad guys and they need to be kicked from the server.)

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
...huh... that's strange... then why did RotJ act like destroying the Sith altogether was a good thing?

(Now, not to sound like a whiny fanboy, but this is from after Lucas turned to the dark side of the filmmaking and storytelling quality. He did a lot of retconning around this time, and if it's alright with you I'll stick to the logic featured in the films that the Sith are the bad guys and they need to be kicked from the server.)
:shrugs: I don't pay particularly close attention to the movies, I just know the lore sponging it up from various sources
I think one could argue that in the original trilogy, the dark side of the force was overpowering the light side.
also I didn't know that 1980 was after "Lucas turned to the dark side"

AwdryFan1997

:shrugs: I don't pay particularly close attention to the movies, I just know the lore sponging it up from various sources
I think one could argue that in the original trilogy, the dark side of the force was overpowering the light side.
also I didn't know that 1980 was after "Lucas turned to the dark side"
I meant 2002. After the Special Editions.

Archer

Whatever
Favorite villains.... that’s a good question.

I’d say probably Bowser, Ganondorf, Wamuu, Eisidisi, Megatron, Zeke Jaeger, and Egil

D

Deleted member 91332

I have problems with the whole "complex villains" thing. On one hand, I do agree being complex makes them better characters. however, I dislike how every time a villain is given complex motives people start jumping saying they "aren't villains" or "did nothing wrong".

I also dislike how being complex is usually equated with being realistic. There are real life villains, and their motives are not even close to complex.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I have problems with the whole "complex villains" thing. On one hand, I do agree being complex makes them better characters. however, I dislike how every time a villain is given complex motives people start jumping saying they "aren't villains" or "did nothing wrong".

I also dislike how being complex is usually equated with being realistic. There are real life villains, and their motives are not even close to complex.
I agree. Sometimes just "being evil" is more than enough to have a good villain. Emperor Palpatine is a good example of this, as is Ganon. Sometimes, a big bad is enough to have if the protagonist is a compelling character.
you know it'd be cool to repurpose this as a discussion about the sith
No it wouldn't.

AwdryFan1997

Most people who say that are just looking for views on YouTube. I mean, Magus started a war, killed a ton of people, all so he could resurrect and then subsequently kill the being that caused his sister to stop being alive (maybe). That doesn't make him a hero, but what makes him so likeable is his complexity and his badass dialogue and really good theme song. Also he kicks ass as a party member.

Lavos, on the other hand, is the least complex main antagonist ever, but its existence leads to a lot of ethical questions (depending on who you ask, that is), as well as a lot of sequel potential that never materialized because Square is dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom