• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 89!

Do you think there should have been more plot between the dungeons in Spirit Tracks?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know/Care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winner: TP Hyrule (53.13%)
This week's question: Do you think there should have been more plot elements in between the dungeons in Spirit Tracks?

Yes
No
Don't Know/Care

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
This is one thing that Spirit Tracks was largely lacking. If it wasn't for the fact the Zelda's soul was floating around me 24/7, I would have forgotten who the antagonist was. Now that I think about it, who was the main antagonist? Would the role go to Chancellor Cole or Malladus? The former was around since the beginning, but you hardly saw him past the exposition. The Demon King was foreshadowed in the game's legend seen in the prologue, yet he didn't appear until the very end. It is similar to how Skyward Sword handled its plot, except incredibly underdeveloped and ST should have had more, even if was just a glimpse of the villains after every dungeon.

Skunk

Floof
Spirit Tracks was a simple game made in simple days, and I think it's plot was just fine... Okay, they could have added a bit more for Byrne.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
This has to be my biggest gripes with Spirit Tracks, and it's one of the reasons why it's (currently) one of my least favorite installments. I have no idea what went wrong, because the other titles did a marvelous job of spreading out the plot between dungeons. But suddenly they took a turn for the worse with ST, and that bothers me so much. They could have done so much better, and they know it, of which bothers me even more.

Salem

SICK
Wait, people think there's too little plot in ST between dungeons? I honestly thought it was the average amount, however you can quantify that.

Fig

The Altruist
Me being a huge Spirit Tracks, I might be a little biased when it comes to Spirit Tracks as it is one of my personal favorite installments in the franchise. As much as I love Spirit Tracks, I have to say that it truly was lacking plot as one complete the dungeons throughout his/her play-through. I personally believe that if Spirit Tracks had more of its plot be split across it's dungeons, I believe it would have been better for everyon.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Spirit Tracks was seriously lacking in the story department. More story and lore could have seriously benefited a game that struggled with limited tech and crappy controls. What we got was a game that failed to reach its potential in most people's eyes. I think the game was decent, but not the best Nintendo could do. I was really curious about the new land of New Hyrule, the sages, Malladus, and whatever else they had. It's a real shame that the game missed out.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Yeah, I personally thought it was just bad the way they dropped the plot off after the beginning and then you finally meet back up with Byrne and Cole like 4 chapters later. But I felt the same way about Skyward Sword, because I think Zelda is a very story driven game, and when you don't drive it with story, it doesn't feel very driven at all. Drive driven drive drive.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Yeah, Spirit Tracks did kinda drop the ball in that region. The plot was never that deep, but I would have preferred Byrne show up or Cole to do something to even try to stop Link. In other games, we see the villain do something to stop it!

Skyward Sword was similar in its plot execution, but they at least showed us Ghirahim before most boss fights, so I always knew I had to fight him. Cole makes three appearances in ST. The intro, atop the Spirit Tower, and at the end. I often forgot who he was. The villains weren't even mentioned between dungeons.

I voted "don't know/care" because ST is my least favorite Zelda and I honestly don't care about it as I found it to be boring. It felt like an on-rails game at times. I couldn't stand the train at all. ST is my least favorite Zelda game.

I think the game would have been better had we been able to explore without the use of a vehicle.

Also, ST feels like the end of the adult timeline for me. They could have went in so many directions after TWW but jumped ahead too quickly. It would have been nice to explore New Hyrule without all the tech advancements.

I can't really imagine there being another Zelda after ST without it getting too futuristic/modern.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I think there was way too little story progression in this game. I mean, if only there would have been a short cutscene after each temple in which we saw what Cole and Staven was up to, it would have made it much better.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I mean I never really though Spirit Tracks had too little Plot in between but that's because I didn't really see the need for it. You knew your main objective and you went to a different realm to meet a new Lokomo and restore the Spirit Tracks.

But now that you mention it, I wouldn't have minded a few cutscenes like after a dungeon. You know how in the Paper Mario games after you beat a level theres usually a cutscene or a playable short section where you see what like Peach or Bowser is up to? Maybe something like that but instead the cutscenes show whats going on with Cole and Byrne and maybe get some extra character development in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom