• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess VikzeLinks Weekly Sunday Poll 62!

Was Illia as special as her intro suggested?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Never thought about it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winner: Draw between Check around me if there is anything I can see, and
Not actively looking, but if I see something, I go there (34.62%)
This week's question: Illia from TP was introduced in a way that she seemed as a very important character, did you think she lived up to her introduction?
Yes
No
Never thought of it

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
No. If I were to explain my thoughts about Ilia, I'd say she was a stupid selfish *****.

In all seriousness though, they could have done a lot more with her. It takes almost the entire game to get her memory back, and you'd think you'd get something for it, and all you get is a stupid piece of grass. She should've contributed more to Link's quest instead of just sitting around, forgetting everything.

Though, I guess it's fair to say that it's partly because of her that the game's events took place. After all, it was because of her that Link went to the spring in the first place.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Huh? ...I didn't really think she was presented to be anything that special...^^;

Salem

SICK
No. If I were to explain my thoughts about Ilia, I'd say she was a stupid selfish *****.

In all seriousness though, they could have done a lot more with her. It takes almost the entire game to get her memory back, and you'd think you'd get something for it, and all you get is a stupid piece of grass. She should've contributed more to Link's quest instead of just sitting around, forgetting everything.

Though, I guess it's fair to say that it's partly because of her that the game's events took place. After all, it was because of her that Link went to the spring in the first place.
She only gives you the horse whistle at the end of the game, when you don't need it anymore.....

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I voted yes (shoot me, right?).

I am not going to say I am an all for Illia, she isn't one of the greatest characters ever, she didn't add much to the game. But we have to realize that her character was never supposed to do much in regards to the story. The most she actually does is give you the horse whistle and help you restore the dominion rod. But, her intro didn't really set her up for much. She was Link's best friend, a character type we have seen before. Her addition to the story, IMO, is to give the player motivation.

I would like to use Aryll from WW as a similar comparison. She does very little except give Link his telescope at the beginning. Other than that, Aryll gets kidnapped. Sound familiar? The only difference is that Aryll isn't seen as a useless character. Illia does the exact same. She gets kidnapped as motivation to get the player thrown into the events of the game. Without this kidnapped character, there would be no need for Link to ever leave his small home and get involved into anything. We are reminded of this in TP when Midna uses Illia and Colin to goad Link into listening to her (rooftops of Hyrule Castle).

Illia had much more potential, I do agree, but I don't believe she was set up for much more. She is just too often compared to Saria (not sure if correct spelling) instead of other motivation characters.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I never really cared enough about Ilia to ever think about how she's presented. I HATE HER FREAKING HAIR SO MUCH

DarkLink17

Well then
Definitely not. In the beginning, they made her seem like such an important part of the story and Link's life. But she pretty much became a useless character upon her amnesia.

What Sroa Link said is true as well, you get the Horse Whistle at the very end of the game, making it practically useless.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I don't hate Illia as much as a lot people do, but I can't say I felt all that inclined to rescue her either. Heck, I was more concerned for Colin than I was for her. I think this all stems from the fact that she seems to care more about Epona then she does about Link, which sorta annoys me a little, since he--an I, by extension--has to save her and recover her memory. It almost seems like she only puts up with him to get to Epona. User!

And why does she lose her memory? Was it explained and I just can't remember? Or was it just some excuse to have her ignore Link without being about to be blamed for it?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ilia is SS Zelda from a before time: utterly useless save for a moment that appears to make her useful yet all she really did was look cute for the entirety of her screentime.

Ilia was presented as a possible love interest for Link in this game. No others characters had been introduced or shown to be like this in previous games. This kind of gave her quest a bit of a motive from Link's end, but there wasn't much of a reward for finally completing her side quest to continue the game. The horse whistle is nice, but it shows up way too late to be useful unfortunately.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Both yes and no. I feel that at the beginning of the game, Ilia proved herself to be somewhat of a significant figure. Link made it his goal to find her, and once he found her, he wanted to restore her memory. Although I thought that this was a great way to build up her character, they quickly knocked it back down. After Link acquires the Horse Call, Ilia becomes a thing of the past. She's just as useless as many of the other minor characters. Any potential she ever had was gone, and the game slightly suffered because of it.

markasscop said:

200px-Ilia.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom