• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 482!

What is your favorite type of puzzle in the series?

• Block Pushing Puzzles

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Light Torches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill All Enemies

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Hit Secret Switch

• Timing-Based Puzzles

• Correct Order Puzzles

• Item Specific Puzzles

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Riddle-Like Puzzles

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Collection Puzzles

• Other

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's Question: What is your favorite goodbye in the series?

Third Place: Tatl's Goodbye (MM) (15.0%)
Second Place: Farewell Hyrule King (WW) (20.0%)
First Place: Koholint Fades Away (LA) (35.0%)

A bit of a surprise for me when Link's Awakening wins in a poll like this. My choice came in second though. Koholint fading away can be bittersweet...

This week's question: What is your favorite type of puzzle in the series?

Block Pushing Puzzles
Light Torches
Kill All Enemies
Hit Secret Switch
Timing-Based Puzzles
Correct Order Puzzles
Item Specific Puzzles
Riddle-Like Puzzles
Collection Puzzles
Other

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Is it cheating to say it's a mixture? I'm not too keen on some of the more common scenarios the series puts forth (run around and shoot all the switches, stab all the enemies, push the block). I like stuff that doesn't give you a lot of intro cutscenes. My preferred style of puzzling would probably be learning to navigate the Divine Beasts.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I don't care much for puzzles in general in Zelda. Yes, they're satisfying to complete, but I'd rather keep the pace going with combat trials being used to progress through a dungeon, so I'd say killing all enemies is my favorite form of "puzzle" in the series.

I'm gonna make the addendum that when I pick Block puzzles I mean SLIDING block puzzles, not the boring has "shove this brick around the room one tiny nudge at a time to take forever to get it to the place where you already know it has to go but we're still gonna eat five minutes finishing it" style puzzle. I've said in the past that Arin's video is mostly garbage, but that's one complaint he nailed dead on.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
How's that a puzzle, exactly?

The type of puzzle doesn't matter at all so long as I really feel like I actually figured something out

It's figuring something out. I don't like my puzzles to be super simplified things that play a musical tone and zoom in on the thing I just unlocked so I know I did well, I'd rather stumble my way through something. The Divine Beasts are effectively one big puzzle, and that puzzle is navigating them. I prefer that to the disconnected rooms of other temples.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
It's figuring something out. I don't like my puzzles to be super simplified things that play a musical tone and zoom in on the thing I just unlocked so I know I did well, I'd rather stumble my way through something. The Divine Beasts are effectively one big puzzle, and that puzzle is navigating them. I prefer that to the disconnected rooms of other temples.
I mean, there are puzzles in the divine beasts, but the navigation is as simple as checking your map? Saying the navigation confused me

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I mean, there are puzzles in the divine beasts, but the navigation is as simple as checking your map? Saying the navigation confused me

Navigating them as a whole. Unlocking new rooms, causing portions of it to move, shifting little metal balls about. I mean that they're more interconnected than any of the previous temples due to them not having formal room and load transitions. It makes the Divine Beasts feel like one large problem to solve, rather than a bunch of disconnected smaller ones.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Navigating them as a whole. Unlocking new rooms, causing portions of it to move, shifting little metal balls about. I mean that they're more interconnected than any of the previous temples due to them not having formal room and load transitions. It makes the Divine Beasts feel like one large problem to solve, rather than a bunch of disconnected smaller ones.
just curious, have you played minish cap?

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I mostly prefer the more complicated puzzels, not of any specific type, just the ones that you feel a bit proud of afterward that you managed to figure them out. It sucks to get stuck, but if you can figure it out without looking it up, it feels great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom