• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 231!

Which type of "Aim-controls" do you prefer?

• Classic (Original, ALttP etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Control-stick (OOT, MM, WW ect.)

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Motion Controls (TP-Wii), SS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gyroscope (OOT3D, MM3D)

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:
Last week's Question: Which version of Old Hyrule do you like the best?

Third Place: MC (16.7%)
Second Place: TP (25.0%)
First Place: OOT (41.7%)

This week's question: Which type of "Aim-controls" do you prefer?

Classic (Original, ALttP etc.)
Control-stick (OOT, MM, WW ect.)
Motion Controls (TP-Wii), SS)
Gyroscope (OOT3D, MM3D)

Mido

Version 1
While I personally appreciate how the control stick function of aiming is a tried and true method that works most of the time, and it is something I prefer the most of the options; but I also have grown to like the gyro controls in titles like WWHD. It grants the players a certain amount of liberty in testing out their sharpshooting skills in real time. Ultimately, I would still prioritize the control stick due to its proven nature and general effectiveness.

Tibari

Rinkuji
Gyro aiming is the best, very accurate in general, especially in the Metroid mini game in Nintendo Land, or Splatoon.
I don't understand how it can be "absurdly immersion breaking", turning around to turn your character is more immersive than turning your character with a joystick

Gyro aiming is the best, very accurate in general, especially in the Metroid mini game in Nintendo Land, or Splatoon.
I don't understand how it can be "absurdly immersion breaking", turning around to turn your character is more immersive than turning your character with a joystick

It really isn't. As tool using animals, our brains are very used to thinking in such a way that bypasses our various controller methods. When you're using a control stick or some other such traditional input device, you're not even thinking about what you're doing. But having to twist around or lift your game pad and wibble it all over the place to aim doesn't feel right because suddenly you become aware of what you're doing. It's like... either the action you perform is so minimal and unlike the action your body would be doing that your brain just skips over it, or you actually perform the action. But gyro is this jarring in-between that you can't help but notice and become aware of because it's sorta close to what your body knows is the right movement, but not enough like it to simply be doing the thing. Once you become aware of your input method, yeah I consider that immersion breaking. And that's assuming the gyro works perfectly.

Tibari

Rinkuji
You got it all wrong. You said
"When you're using a control stick or some other such traditional input device, you're not even thinking about what you're doing. But having to twist around or lift your game pad and wibble it all over the place to aim doesn't feel right because suddenly you become aware of what you're doing."
It's not because of the gyro, it's because you're used to the joystick. The more you're used to something, the less you think about what you're doing, and doing something you're not used to needs you to become aware of what you're doing.
Gyro isn't the problem, the problem is we're lazy and unwelcome towards changes that need a little effort of concentration. It's the same problem with everything you're not used to, that how tool using animals behave.

Considering immersion, fighting Phantom Ganon in OOT3D by turning around yourself is way more immersive than pushing a joystick. I did the fight like this, standing, and it was like I was in the boss room.
If Gyro wasn't immersive, all the VR technologies should use joystick instead of trying gyro, don't you think?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I like the control sticks personally, though I have nothing against classic directional pad controls.

I actually like pointer controls on the Wii for certain games, but nothing about motion controls worked for Skyward Sword.

As far as gyro controls, they are terrible. I turned them off immediately. Nothing to do with immersion. Just bad control method.

You got it all wrong. You said
"When you're using a control stick or some other such traditional input device, you're not even thinking about what you're doing. But having to twist around or lift your game pad and wibble it all over the place to aim doesn't feel right because suddenly you become aware of what you're doing."
It's not because of the gyro, it's because you're used to the joystick. The more you're used to something, the less you think about what you're doing, and doing something you're not used to needs you to become aware of what you're doing.
Gyro isn't the problem, the problem is we're lazy and unwelcome towards changes that need a little effort of concentration. It's the same problem with everything you're not used to, that how tool using animals behave.

Considering immersion, fighting Phantom Ganon in OOT3D by turning around yourself is way more immersive than pushing a joystick. I did the fight like this, standing, and it was like I was in the boss room.
If Gyro wasn't immersive, all the VR technologies should use joystick instead of trying gyro, don't you think?

I've managed to find a video that actually does a good job of explaining my problem with the controls in Zelda for me. I can attest to a lot of the things they talk about here being true for me. I also want to say that I have actually had a game with gyro controls that I really enjoyed and that felt very immersive. That game was Fatal Frame: Maidens of Black Water. That game felt much more immersive because the moving and button pressing I was doing felt very much like operating a camera, and it really did feel like ghosts were all around me. I feel like it worked there because the motions I was doing and the actions I was simulating were close enough together that my brain said "yeah, this is what it's supposed to be". But with Zelda games and gyro? My mind rejects it. This may be different for me than for you because I used to spend a significant amount of time practicing my archery, and my mind has a very firm and clear idea what those motions and positions are supposed to feel like, and the Wii U gyro could not be further from the "truth" as my body knows it.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Probably just because it's what I'm used to, but the control stick. I haven't played an emulator of any of the Zelda games, but if the aiming was controlled by the mouse I think I would prefer that over all others.

Pen

The game is on!
My personal preference is the combination of joystick and gyro controls that we get in the 3D remakes on the 3DS as well as in the HD remakes on the WiiU (and hopefully also in BotW). I like to use the joystick to make the larger movements in my aiming while I then prefer to switch to gyro for the smaller movements and the more precise aiming. I find it works exceptionally well in the Zelda games that have both since you can have both turned on and functioning at the same time, making the switch between the two very smooth and natural imo. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom