• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 129!

Do you like to get unique, but mostly useless items, or more common, but useful ones?

• The Common, but useful ones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have no preference

• The Unique, but mostly useless ones

• Those somewhere in the middle...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:

Last week's Question: So, how did you like the new Zelda-inspired Mario Kart 8 Track?

Third Place: Great (12.50%)
Second Place: Draw between "AWESOME!" and "I don't have Mario Kart 8..." (18.75%)
First Place: I don't have a Wii U... (37.50%)

Really, most people on a Zelda-fansite doesn't have Nintendo's latest console? :huh:

This week's question: When it comes to Zelda-Items, we sometimes get really useful ones, and sometimes really cool ones that is extremely situational (looking at you Dominion Rod :dry:). Do you like to get unique, but mostly useless items, or more common, but useful ones?

The Common, but useful ones
Have no preference
The Unique, but mostly useless
Those somewhere in the middle...

I guess I have to go with commons ones, since the Bow is generally my favorite and most proficient item. Though honestly, what I enjoy most about Zelda items is when you find odd uses for them. Either they do something kinda silly or odd (like bombing a Gossip Stone or smashing one with the Megaton Hammer), to finding very unique ways to use it against specific enemies that you might not normally think about (like electrocuting Majora's Wrath with the Zora Mask).

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I want the franchise to balance its items. I hate useless items like the spinner, bar actual collectibles like trophies. Those are awesome. I want items to mean a lot, and by a lot I mean be used outside of just one dungeon. There's needs to be both classic like the hookshot and new ones that excite people (turning into paintings with that one bracelet, for example.) What if the new Zelda U did this? Imagine a couple new items, like a weather-changing rod (not exactly new) and a trained bird that lets you survey the landscape from above (or a Loftwing you can actually control on the overworld!). These would be cool and take advantage of the vast landscape we've seen. Those could be used in a variety of boss battles and puzzles, just think of a few for yourself right now. The possibilities would be limited only by the creativity of the developers. That's the sort of new and important items I'd like to see. I'd also like to see the old ones used in new ways, similar to what they did with the double-clawshot in TP.

D

Deleted member 14134

There should be an option for unique and useful but Zelda.

No reason a unique item can't also be useful. It comes down to game design. What I want are unique items that the designers spend the time to find further use for.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I like the items when they are useful, especially when they don't require a special button or area to be used. The Bombchu is a good example of a useful item that you can use anywhere, but it's still not "normal".

Here's the truth: you use an item once, it's underused; you use an item twice, it may as well be overused. This goes double for more unique items like the spinner or the dominion rod. It's not when the item is used, it's how it's used; and we all know riding the spinner ten to twenty times stood out to you way more than firing the bow time and time again throughout the game.

Eventually, an item just wears out, it becomes tedious. If they'd implemented, say, the dominion rod more than they had, and in the same fashion, it would have become a hassle to use it; and had they found more unique ways to use it, well, those would be few and far between without feeling forced. It's just one of those things where, you've used it once, you've used it a thousand times, and an items uniqueness won't change that, it only make it stand out more in your mind (take, for example, the Megaton Hammer, or OoT's boomerang, both pretty standard items utilized to about the same extent as the spinner/dominion rod-- that is, very sparingly; yet I've yet to here one complaint about them).

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I think both situational but really unique items and versatile but familiar items both have their place.

With Twilight Princess for example, I was not bothered that the items weren't used outside of the dungeons because the in-dungeon use was satisfying enough in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom