• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 116!

Would you like Nintendo to re-use graphics more to release games more often?

• Yes! I have no problem with that

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! But at least tweek it a little

• I don't care

• No, not really...

• NO! I WANT NEW EVERY TIME!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:

Question: Would you like a sequel to Link's Crossbow Training?

Third Place: Yes! To the 3DS! (8.70%)
Second Place: I don't care (34.78%)
First Place: No (52.17%)

This week's question: Would you like Nintendo to re-use graphics (engines) more to be able to release games more often (aka pull a Majora's Mask)?

Yes! I have no problem with that
Yes! But at least tweek it a little
I don't care
No, not really...
NO! I WANT NEW EVERY TIME!

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
There really should be another option:

Only if the game is directly related (i.e. sequel). That's the option I'd go for. It makes sense for closely related games to use the same graphics (like OoT/MM and PH/ST).

Clank

Hmm
Are we talking just the game engine or the models as well? As far as the game engine is concerned, go ahead and reuse that as much as possible (improving it the whole while). Reusing models though, that presents a different challenge, because every Zelda game so far is uniquely identifiable (aside from maybe the oracle games). I mean even MM and OOT varied quite a bit.

When it comes down to it though, I would say yes, but don't be lazy about it, actually put some effort towards the new game. If it doesn't look better than the last one, then you're doing it wrong.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well, each Zelda has to feel like a new and unique experience, like no 2 of them are so similar, that's one of the big things with Zelda. The reason it worked with MM was because it was so much a different game, so different from any Zelda really, that the same graphics were able to feel like a totally different game. But for nowadays, I'd rather they make new graphics for each game, even if it takes a little longer. But... of course the one time they did re-use graphics, is the best work they ever did... So... I guess I don't know :P

When they reused the assets from OoT to make MM, it pushed them to innovate in other ways and create an entirely different experience with the same building blocks. If reusing graphics encourages Nintendo to be more creative with story and gameplay, I'm all for it. The series could stand to be more daring and take more risks; I want to see another Zelda that challenges our preconceptions of the hero's journey.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm fine with it, but I prefer if they tweak the graphics a little. The only time I'm fine with identical graphics is if the games are released together, like OoA or OoS. Or, if the game is simply a remake, like the collectors edition of OoT and MM. Otherwise, if they have the graphical power and a few years under their belts, there some be some tweaking to the graphics, if only to make them more crisp.

I don't mind them reusing a certain style (OoT, MM and WW, PH, ST were all similar art styles), but reusing them to pump out more games is not the way to go. Zelda is quality and takes a long time to make, speeding up that process also leaves less time for other aspects such as gameplay and story.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
nintendo can do whatever it wants. for you see, nintendo is the Creator of Games in china. this is a title that relinquishes any fault from the holder and grants a 50% bonus to attack speed. essentialyl what this means is that Nintendo is free to choose whatever graphical style i t pleases. i do not care if they reuse a style or discontinue a style so long as the discontinued style is anything from SS to TWW.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Not really. I think the visual style of the game is absolutely crucial in capturing the true essence of the game. I don't like to see textures and graphic styles and such reused much. I mean I understand if say MM3D comes out with the same engine as OoT3D, but if they use a graphic style that's pretty much identical to another game, I'd prefer they just tweak it a little bit so it looks kind of different

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
As some have pointed out, when they did this with MM (small tweaks in graphics) it became an amazing game, because they had more time to work on the gameplay and story. When they did it with ST from PH however, the story was almost non-existing, so I'm not so sure about that one.
I think they could really benefit from reusing different artstyles, but then they need to put effort into the story, like they did with MM. And it's not like they would have to postpone the next "new artstyle" Zelda-game, they didn't with MM to WW (only 3 years between them, and look at the time between the main games today). If they reuse graphics (with tweaking) they could easily make smaller releases in between the large ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom