• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 109!

Many considers SS too linear. What would you change about it to make it less linear?

• The Story

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Level Design

• Let the player choose their own path (like in ALBW)

• Nothing, it's good as it is

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:

Third Place: NEVER! (12.50%)
Second Place: Draw between "It would be great!" and "It would be okay" (25.00% each)
First Place: No Thanks (29.17%)

This week's question: Many considers SS too linear. What would you change about it to make it less linear?

The Story
The Level Design
Let the player choose their own path (like in ALBW)
Nothing, it's good as it is

D

Deleted member 14134

Level design, I suppose. Though not the only thing I would change about this game.

Sheik

:the:
I found the level design in SS to be quite enjoyable, so I wouldn't change that. My vote is on "Let the player choose their own path". For instance, I think it would be neat to explore Eldin Volcano before Faron Woods, or maybe take on the Sandship before Ancient Cistern, contrary to a previous playthrough. Honestly, though, this would have to involve changing the story to fit whichever path you take, which would make things rather complicated. Would have been interesting, though.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
To be honest, there's dozens of horrible design choices in this game that has made it as disappointingly linear as it was. It's not like just one aspect could be surgically fixed and the game would be good to go.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
For me, it's the level design that was way too linear... It felt like you were just following a path to a goal, like a Super Mario stage

I think we should have been able to choose our own path. Maybe not with all the dungeons, maybe just for the Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and Fire Sanctuary.

I don't think the level design was TOO linear. You followed a set path into a more open area, like the Sealed Temple into Faron Woods. I also liked how they kept those more open areas compact, so there wasn't too much wandering around. If they allowed the player to go in any dungeon order, then they'd have to change the story as well, so I voted for "Nothing. It's good as is." I thought Skyward Sword was a pretty awesome game on it's own. Yes, it had its flaws, and it certainly isn't my favorite Zelda ever, but I still really enjoyed it.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
The level design. That was my main gripe. I enjoyed it much more on a recent play through but it leaves very little room for pure exploration

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Why are so many people *****ing about the level design? That's one of the game's strongest features. I suppose the surface portions could stand to be a bit more open, but the Sky was supposed to be the exploration section. The problem is just that it lacked substance, much like the Great Sea.

Anyway, I chose letting the player choose their own path. See above for reasons why.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Why are so many people *****ing about the level design? That's one of the game's strongest features. I suppose the surface portions could stand to be a bit more open, but the Sky was supposed to be the exploration section. The problem is just that it lacked substance, much like the Great Sea.

Anyway, I chose letting the player choose their own path. See above for reasons why.

What? You mean what I said, above your post...? About the games needing to improve upon giving the player freedom? Actually shouldn't all of us want that, I know I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom