• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 108!

How would you like a Zelda-Game with multiple endings?

• It would be great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It would be okay

• I don't care

• No thanks

• NEVER!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:

Third Place: Draw between Gerudo Valley and Lake Hylia (10.00% each)
Second Place: Zora's River (15.00%)
First Place: Draw between Kakariko Village, Kokiri Forest and Lon Lon Ranch (20.00% each)

This week's question: How would you like a Zelda-Game with multiple endings? Like a good ending and a bad ending.

It would be great!
It would be okay
I don't care
No thanks
NEVER!

D

Deleted member 14134

Multiple endings mean choices which would cause deviations in the story line. I don't think this fits within Zeldas story structure and would be a poor choice for the series. Nintendo has never told an amazing Zelda story as it is, focus on the gameplay first and foremost.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I always love more freedom in games, but it doesn't really fit in with the Zelda series. Still, I'd love to see the change so I voted yes!

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Hmm, interesting idea. I voted for 'no thanks.' I like how in games such as Skyward Sword, or even Majora's Mask, the player had a bit more freedom in which their actions would cause certain events to occur later on. I like this idea for side quests, but I wouldn't want it for the main storyline.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
If Ocarina of Time would have been made in this way, it would have been pretty interesting. I'm not sure it would fit, but I do like multiple endings for games, so I say sure. As long as there is a true ending.

Sounds great, multiple endings would mean freedom in the storyline which I would take anytime. Of course, among the choices, there would have to be an ending that's canon.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nah. I prefer a story with one definitive conclusion. A story where the characters evolve down a path with their choices and actions all paralleling their development. I just finished MGS IV, and man I almost cried. The storylines each reach their conclusions at the end, and its absolutely beautiful. Each main characters gets a resolution to their story, and you're glad to see the saga end. I think multiple endings would have forced developers to create watered-down endings, the development of each ending would force them to take away from anyone great story.]

Still this structure can work in some sort of RPG that allows for unique character design, a morality system, and gameplay based around the choices you make more than developing flowing narratives or characters. I just don't think that's fits a Zelda title, it wouldn't mesh with the silent hero and lack of dungeons. Granted, MM did this to some extent within the time loop, and it could have been taken further as a concept, but I'd find that a very risky feat to repeat.

The thing is, while multiple endings perhaps provides a less constricted experience, they can't provide the cohesiveness of past, and hopefully future, Zelda games. Zelda's storylines have never been particularly complex, but there's always a lot of thematic structure and emotion behind them. If Nintendo wants to present these narratives as one sleek experience, they'd best stay away from the multiple endings-path.

ihateghirahim mentioned RPGs, and I mostly agree with him. The RPG route simply isn't Zelda, it doesn't fit well with Link or his place in most Zelda stories, as a sort of bystander, though, was he given a more active role, maybe I'd reconsider.

Ultimately, I voted "It would be okay," mainly because, though I'm not firmly opposed to a sort of morality system in Zelda I quite enjoy the way things are now, or at least the way things are developing, and I'd like to see where that could be taken.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
I think they should add in as many endings as they want. I don't agree with Nintendo's decision to adopt a timeline, as it limits them as to what they can do with the story.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I said it'd be ok, mainly because I'm not super pumped for it. Yeah it'd be cool and interactive and unique, but with a game like Zelda, where story and the way they all connect is everything, you'd have to have like another timeline split or something. And I don't know if Nintendo wants to do that again :P It'd just screw with all of us too much. But I'm not objected to it

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'd probably be ok with it, but if they did, they have to (like many said) have one true ending, while the other ones aren't canon. Or it could also be minor things that changes, in the end credits for example.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Maybe they could keep one main detail of the ending to carry on to other titles and let you determine the rest of the quest for yourself? I doubt this would happen, but it would be interesting and work well with the timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom