• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video Games That Require the Most Thought?

What genre requires the most brainpower typically?

• FPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puzzle

• RTS

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Moba

• RPG

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Platformer

• Arcade

• Other

• Fighting

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Point and click

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

We have all been on the streets enough to hear "Call of duty is dumb just point and shoot". What genre typically then do you feel requires the most out of our brains?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Mostly RPG in my opinion, it's all strategy in the fights then you gotta figure out how you are gonna play the fight level the character and all that type of thing.

Dan

Perhaps you're right Cthulu lord of the deep. I think RTS games requires some QUICK thinking however. You can have hundreds of units at one time, you have to keep track of your resources, the entire map, your enemies armies and his resources. When battles occur it can become pretty hectic too and games can change instantly depending on what's going on.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Perhaps you're right Cthulu lord of the deep. I think RTS games requires some QUICK thinking however. You can have hundreds of units at one time, you have to keep track of your resources, the entire map, your enemies armies and his resources. When battles occur it can get pretty hectic to and games can change instantly depending on what's going on.

Yeah i do forget that RTS can be sadistic to you. Goddamn Pikmin the first of my RTS sufferance. But yeah RPG and RTS are probably the most thought consuming in any given situation. So many things to think about. Doesn't help if you have slightly eidetic memory for games.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Definitely RPG's, specifically SRPG's. There's so much to keep track of, and so much to lose. If you are stupid at games like XCOM and Fire Emblem, then you are going to get all your characters killed. That's what is exhilarating about them.

You not only have to think, but the game also makes you very nervous because they force you to take risks. Plus there is always the chance that your soldier is standing 2 feet behind an alien(or in FE's case, you have your myrmidon with a 99% chance of hitting) and they miss. That sort of pressure really involved your entire brain, and it actually does create adrenalin once you are involved. Every move you make matters in these types of games, so it involves an infinite amount of thought.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Fighting games. They are the most relentless of all the genres and require absolute concentration throughout the short duration of the rounds.

Definitely puzzle games in my eyes. Anyone who's played Braid knows what I mean.

D

Deleted member 14134

I voted real time strategy. They require you to think on your feet often while trying to figure out what will be best for you in the future, every decision you make has an impact on the game therefore it requires you to constantly be thinking about what you're doing and what you're going to do next.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Basically any Myst game, just recently beat the one for PS2. It's damn near impossible not to use a guide.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I would say ones that require a lot of quick decisions. Actions that require very specific reactions, something face paced. So fighting games, or puzzle games that are timed that move quickly.

RPGs are of course more intellectual, but they're also slower so they are not as hard on your mind. The required planning is usually done in advance, carefully, at a comfortable pace. It requires intelligence of course, but it's hardly taxing or excessively demanding in the moment.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Real time strategy, then perhaps online shooters or MOBAs, followed by oldschool RPGs (with proper level up mechanisms)

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Fighting games will forever be the games that take the most thought. The practice, preparation, knowledge, and execution standards are all higher than other genres. You have to be not only extremely knowledgeable with your own character, but you also must know the strengths and weaknesses of every character in the game. It's such a fast-paced genre, that it's often deemed to be "too hard to get into." During matches, there's no down-time, and you must figure out the best move to do in the specific situation and also execute said move (which is almost always the harder of the two). The margin of error in fighting games are so small that often you'll (easily)lose 25% of your health simply from double-tapping a direction at the wrong time, and get your movement "punished." And in some matches, you'll lose the entire round from as little as 2 mistakes.

If you're serious about fighting games, you'll easily spend 250+ hours in practice mode alone.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Fighting games will forever be the games that take the most thought. The practice, preparation, knowledge, and execution standards are all higher than other genres. You have to be not only extremely knowledgeable with your own character, but you also must know the strengths and weaknesses of every character in the game. It's such a fast-paced genre, that it's often deemed to be "too hard to get into." During matches, there's no down-time, and you must figure out the best move to do in the specific situation and also execute said move (which is almost always the harder of the two). The margin of error in fighting games are so small that often you'll (easily)lose 25% of your health simply from double-tapping a direction at the wrong time, and get your movement "punished." And in some matches, you'll lose the entire round from as little as 2 mistakes.

If you're serious about fighting games, you'll easily spend 250+ hours in practice mode alone.

Sorry I didn't know pressing random buttons took a lot of thought. Go play Myst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom