• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video Games Being More "active"... <_<

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
I just want to see if anyone here has anything to think about it, and this post won't even be as detailed as an article lol. Everyone has seen it in some form...videogames have become more accustomed to you moving around more than sitting on a couch. The first example I have personally seen was Wii Sports (or even the Wii as a whole :P) , then Play Station move, and now Kinect. Do you guys feel that this whole evolution is a step in the right direction? :?

I personally don't. It is just as ridiculous as making sports more "fantasy-like" or defying reality. If a videogame where you swing the controller to play tennis or baseball seems normal, what would you think of a new sport where you try to "collect the triforce shards" or "jump on goombas"? There should be a fine line between the two mediums because 'active video games' and 'virtual sports' are equally dumb.

Anyways, that was my humble opinion and I would like to see if I'm crazy after all. :lol:

Ganondork

goo
Well, it's a fun thing when friends are over, or family, but alone it's stupid. I'm hoping that this phase, like guitar hero, dies out. If it doesn't, then I'll be disappointed in Nintendo. I play basketball competitively every other day, and sitting down and playing a game is fun, not standing up and playing a game.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
If motion controls become less popular then "active" games will go down with it. Now that I think about it, motion controls don't scream "video game" to me. A NES or Gamecube controller fits that image much better than waving a Wii remote. Besides, going outside and exercising in the fresh air is healthier than playing Wii Sports in your room, and if a kid lacked the motivation to exercise outside would a video game be any more successful?

I don't mind moving around in games, but alot of the time, I'm worn out from school, and all I want to do is sit on my bean bag in front of the TV, and play something using just my hands. I don't want to be moving around and stuff.

However, motion controls as a whole aren't a bad thing, I just prefer being lazy and not having to move around to play a game.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I don't mind motion controls as a general concept. They can be fun to play if you're feeling active and can be enjoyable exercise if you get pulled into ones which have a vague sense of a plot.
Heck, right now the Kinect is my only source of exercise. A phobia of people and the like prevents me from really going out anywhere to get a healthier source.

Would I like to have those controls as the complete next step and lose the controllers though? No. Sometimes you just want to sit down with a controller and mindlessly push buttons, not put a lot of effort into playing a game.

Really though, if motion controls become more frequently seen then i'd like to have an option where you can switch to a controller. Both worlds applicable to one game.

Dark_Kokiri

I be a Kokiri~
When you're hanging with friends it can be a whole lot of fun. But just sitting around and stuff, I wouldn't want to do it. I think so long as there's a balance between the active games and the sitting on your butt games it'll be all good. That's the thing I'm not looking forward too much in SS, though. I'm afraid that the motion won't work as well and that I'm not gonna be able to play it just sitting down. It'll be a bit lame.... But yeah, I don't want ALL games to be that way. It'd take out the fun of being able to kick butt while still sitting on the couch~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom