• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video game titles you really don't like

Have you ever heard the title for a video game and thought it was horrible, ill-suited or even misleading?

If you have, which games were they and do you feel any better about them in retrospect?

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Link to the past makes no sense as a title. There is absolutely nothing related to the past in the game and was only made to be a pun. The Japanese title “triforce of the gods” still doesn’t make much sense, but at least it sounds cooler

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I mean, the outright bad ones I still like because they're funny and cringey. Like Söldner, and Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi.

The worst ones are the ones that are just generic and boring. I think my most hated one is Lords of the Fallen.

Like, really? That's what you got?

For me I really don't like the Kingdom Hearts titles because the majority of them are ridiculous.

Kirby is another offender, at least in the PAL regions. Kirby Super Star released as Kirby's Fun Pak in Europe and I hate that title.
Likewise, Kirby's Return to Dreamland released as Kirby's Adventure Wii and Rainbow Curse released as Rainbow Paintbrush.

Nintendo, stop messing with Kirby titles!

Star Fox 64 released as Lylat Wars in PAL regions too and while it isn't a horrible title, it feels misleading and vague to not have Star Fox anywhere in the title, especially after the original Star Fox released as Star Wing.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_HD_2.8_Final_Chapter_Prologue_Logo_KHHDFCP.png

first moment I heard/saw this, I was like this shjf is stupid af, it was a dumb collection too b/c it was the latest game in the series [at the time], a way way back movie prequel [which was incomplete], and a game that's a semi-sequel to the prequel / a sidequel to the first game in the series

s w e a r

tri force heroes. also was not very fond of breath of the wild at first but it has grown on me a bit by now.

I don’t believe it was canonically a prequel until hyrule historia came out, and even then it makes no reference in game to being a prequel, though I could be wrong about that
iirc the preface in the instruction manual stated it was a prequel? i could be wrong though, i didnt actually own it on snes

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
What would you rather go with? A title that neatly sums up in two operative words the basic premise of your plot and the ultimate objective of the game, or...

a pun?

Yeah, I'll take Triforce of the Gods for 500, Alex.

Of course, there's also The Legend of Zelda. The title that gave rise to the misconception that Zelda wears a green tunic as well as speculation as to why Zelda can't be a girl.

Okay, okay, okay. So the title literally refers to the menu screen opening scrawl prologue plot synopsis from the first game. But ever since becoming a series Zelda's importance in what is ostensibly her own legend and even her presence in some titles makes way for some speculation as to why she even warrants a mention in the title at all. The second and third games had the sense to put Link's name in the subtitle to make it clear who the protagonist is, but since then silly subtitles about "ocarinas" and majora masks and wind wakers and swords that are towards the sky have left all mention of Link out entirely.

So just who is this "Zelda" anyway and what does this person have anything to do with their own legend?

There is also Final Fantasy, all dozens of them. It's the series that swears it can quit any time!

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
tri force heroes. also was not very fond of breath of the wild at first but it has grown on me a bit by now.

iirc the preface in the instruction manual stated it was a prequel? i could be wrong though, i didnt actually own it on snes
It existed as a prequel in function for sure. Its goal as a narrative was to explain the purposeand significance of the triforce in hyrule. With that in mind, triforce of the gods makes a lot of sense

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
What would you rather go with? A title that neatly sums up in two operative words the basic premise of your plot and the ultimate objective of the game, or...

a pun?

Yeah, I'll take Triforce of the Gods for 500, Alex.

Of course, there's also The Legend of Zelda. The title that gave rise to the misconception that Zelda wears a green tunic as well as speculation as to why Zelda can't be a girl.

Okay, okay, okay. So the title literally refers to the menu screen opening scrawl prologue plot synopsis from the first game. But ever since becoming a series Zelda's importance in what is ostensibly her own legend and even her presence in some titles makes way for some speculation as to why she even warrants a mention in the title at all. The second and third games had the sense to put Link's name in the subtitle to make it clear who the protagonist is, but since then silly subtitles about "ocarinas" and majora masks and wind wakers and swords that are towards the sky have left all mention of Link out entirely.

So just who is this "Zelda" anyway and what does this person have anything to do with their own legend?

There is also Final Fantasy, all dozens of them. It's the series that swears it can quit any time!

I always though of it as link himself being the Legend of Zelda, therefore the title makes sense.

You haven’t even begun to scratch the surface of how bad the final fantasy names are. Not only are none of them final, but 2 is 4 and 3 is, there are 2 different 10s and 2 different 13s, and 11 and 14 haven’t finished yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom