• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video game franchises you've followed since day one

Have you ever followed a video gane franchise from the very beginning?

By that I mean playing from day one?

Do you buy the first Zelda game on NES and have you played every Zelda since?

What about something like Assassin's Creed or Final Fantasy?

Which long running franchises have you been following since day one?

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oi, I really wish I can say pikmin since it started during my time, but I didn't get into it until pikmin 2
........nicktoons unite? I don't think there's any franchise that I've been w/ since the beginning, either they've already been long running or I got into them past their inception, the closest I can think of is maybe ape escape since it had to have been relatively new at the time I played it considering how young I was, but I didn't play the later games until much MUCH later on

Last edited:
[..]
I don't think there's any franchise that I've been w/ since the beginning, either they've already been long running or I got into them past their inception[..]
Same for me, I am too young for this question... So I can only list some minor accomplishments like Banjo Kazooie or something in the like.

If we consider video game franchises that I follow since I started gaming, I can list some more: 3D Mario platformers, Mario kart, etc., Sonic, THPS, and probably some more that are not on the top of my head.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Pokemon came out fall of 1st grade for me so everyone was into it and I have played at least 1 game per gen ever since I was 10 since my parents hate video games I was delayed owning it. I did watch the anime, own cards and other merch.

Quin

Disaster Master
Pokemon actually, I bought atleast one game every generations and I started at red. Might actually stop soon, and if you count lets go I already did

Super Mario series. got smb1 as a kid and got them all since then
Same with smash and smash 64

I followed Zelda ever since the first game I got but I only started that series with Links Awakening.

• Starfox
  • Master of Orion (even though only the 2nd game was any good)
  • Commander Keen
  • Legend of Zelda. I played Zelda 2 first but I got Zelda 1 very shortly after and it was still easily in it's prime.
  • Sim City - I remember playing the first one on the Mac SE in all of it's grey scale glory.
  • I have to say I did get SMB1 , 2 and 3 before the SNES came out so I can say I was there at the begining for that too and everyone since.
  • Smash Bros - I did get it on the N64 but I honestly I didn't like it but it was Melee that hooked me on the series. Sm4sh was hot garbage but SSBU thankfully is amazing.
  • I did play all 3 DKC games on the SNES before 1996 and have followed the series ever since, even though the past few fames on WiiU and Wii have been sub par quality. I did get DKC2 first though.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Dishonored
Day one purchase, one of my all time favourite franchises. I adore the setting, the gameplay, the level design, the characters, everything. I have read one of the novels and a bunch of the comics (think I've read all the comics but only because I don't know of any more, whereas I know there are two novels I haven't read yet). I wish dearly for a Dishonored 3, but after the poor performance of 2 I won't hold my breath :(

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I was late coming in to the 7th gen and I only really started gaming with the 6th gen so I got into most video game franchise after they'd been long running for some time.

Sadly, there has been nothing but garbo games since the end of the 7th gen and most new franchises since then have been discontinued due to excessive amounts of sucking. Can't say I'd miss any of em.

Even though I was a couple years late to the Myst phenomenon, it dominated two Christmas selling seasons so that put me only a year removed from the height of its popularity when I first played it. It took me a long while before I could play Riven but I stuck with the series ever since then. I wasn't there in the beginning of Myst Online's beta run nor was I present for its Gametap run but I did eventually play it after development was discontinued and it was hosted for free. I got pretty involved with the community then and ever since Cyan has been back in development I've been backing their Kickstarters and dipping my feet back into the community a bit in the meantime.

But the Myst series has been discontinued with no indication of future games or material despite a long anticipated unfinished fourth book that is still unreleased. That makes it the only series I've seen through to completion.

Ace Attorney: Started with the first game on the DS & followed every release including Vs Professor Layton & the translated AAI2.

If only someone would do the great ace attorney next.....

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'm actually not sure if I have really done it with any long-running franchises, since they've either preceded me being born (i.e. Legend of Zelda, Mario) or I didn't get into it right away (i.e. Pikmin). Thinking about it and quickly running down my list of games, I think the only franchise which I really qualify as having played/followed it from day one (even though it isn't long-running) would be Yooka-Laylee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom