• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Video Game Endings that Left You Speechless.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
What are some video game endings that were so good (or bad) that they left you speechless?

I personally found the ending of Nier: Automata to be incredibly depressing and complex. I felt like I had to take a few days after just to process everything I just played through.

What about you guys?

• Love
Reactions: Dio

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Ys Memories of Celceta b/c it was bad, the game just...ends. Like your whole party is in jeopardy, you fight the final boss, a quick ending sequence where you get rescued by one of the characters, then credits roll, and just one last scene of Adol walking through some plains which lasts a few seconds. The whole thing just made me go "...is that it?"

a big one though is Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d b/c I used super kong (auto-control thing that lets the game play itself) for the last battle to see how long that would last, and I was baffled that not only did it beat the final boss, but it played the full ending and the credits rolled

having the game beat itself had me speechless like nothing else

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What are some video game endings that were so good (or bad) that they left you speechless?

I personally found the ending of Nier: Automata to be incredibly depressing and complex. I felt like I had to take a few days after just to process everything I just played through.

What about you guys?

I second that for Nier Automata. But also for Nier Replicant. Those games need processing afterwards and keep you thinking about them for a long time. Especially on the second playthrough when it becomes apparent that well...if you know you know.

Other ones I can think of are Wind Waker. I was speechless at the death of Ganondorf. I thought the series was over for good and that made me very sad.

Twilight Princess. Again Midna leaving was a terrible thing. I loved her character so much and still think she is the best developed character in the series.I had become so attached to her and TP's version of Hyrule.

Ocarina of Time. I actually spent so much time with this game before I finished it that I just couldn't believe it was over. Also trying to work out the timey wimey stuff that went on makes you think about the game for long after finishing.

Halo 4. Not as beloved by fans as some of the earlier games but the emotional impact of its ending I think was the one that hit me hardest with the death of the companion character (Of course they took a crap on that in Halo 5)

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
My first thought was for Link's Awakening. I already knew from reading how the game was going to end, but it still hit me hard. Just the windfish's speech, the music, everything fading away... it was just incredibly powerful. You know when you get a feeling that impacts you in a way that you don't want to let yourself forget it? That was that game. It was very moving, and Iiked how everything in the game was kind of leading and building up to it. The final cutscene was really bittersweet in the best way.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
Celeste

I just loved Madeline and the part of her that she didn’t like, Badeline, working together and climbing the top of the summit, after all they’ve been through, and all the stress and anxiety Madeline has been through, the game gives you this great “push through it and go all the way up to the summit of Mount Celeste, what you’ve been trying to do this whole time, now having confronted yourself”

The game ends on a really sweet note of the people Madeline met on her journey eating a strawberry pie she baked, the better the pie is depending on how many strawberries you got. It’s a really wholesome way to conclude the game

It’s a game with a fantastic story with great meaning and moral and a really great ending to conclude it

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
then the next game hits you with
View attachment 62703
thanks guys
Hey, at least Rise of Skywalker had the decency to tell you its garbage plot twist at the very beginning of the movie. Twilight Princess made you wait until the very end to take a **** on what little its story had going for it.

Anyway, broken record here, but nearly every Professor Layton game left me speechless at its ending, for better (like with the first 3) or for worse (like Miracle Mask and Katrielle). Classic Layton does a wonderful job of slapping you in the face with a plot twist that somehow manages to be insanely stupid yet charming at the same time.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Tales of the Abyss hits different in leaving a main aspect of its ending up to the player's interpretation
on one hand it's a tad frustrating if you prefer something more conclusive, but on the other, I respect the choice to be vague and let the player draw their own conclusion

Ghost of Tsushima is a bit different in that its ending is much more straightforward, but very emotionally striking because of how well the conclusion is set up through the plot and various character interactions throughout the game
ended up just sitting through the credits in silence for a bit without many thoughts once I beat the main story

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom