• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Vacations and Travel

Ninja

Well well well
Hey all.

Everyone loves a good vacation or some time away from real life to travel and sightsee, or experience new things, food, and culture.

What are some of the places that you have traveled to? What was the favorite vacation you'e been on like?

For me, we spent a week during the winter in Lake Tahoe and it was absolutely gorgeous. We went snowmobiling through the mountains and we finally were able to experience tons of snow.

We are also booking a trip to an all inclusive resort in Cancun Mexico for a week in May, so that's going to be interesting as well. It'll be the first time I'll be using my passport.

QcFQOVmY_o.png

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Washington DC was the best trip I've had in recent memory. I've actually been around a fairly great deal. My dad travels a lot on business and occasionally mom and I would get to come with him to some of the more lovely vacation spots. But that was a long time ago.

The DC trip was my idea for a full fledged vacation just me and the folks. I actually expected the place to be a dump. It was absolutely marvelous. I also expected all of the people to be rude and pushy. They were some of the nicest, friendliest, most open and eager to please folks I have ever encountered. The hotel we stayed at was exceptional. The metro ran like clockwork (although I understand it's not terribly consistent in that regard at times). The town is by far the most pedestrian friendly I've ever seen. In fact, if you travel to DC leave the family vehicle in the garage. Don't even bother with a rental. If you're able to walk, you will have exactly zero reason to ever drive anywhere or call a cab. DC greatly favors pedestrian traffic, which means vehicle traffic gets to sit around all the time. Metro passes are cheap and efficient. My train was delayed only once, and only for about five minutes.

But the museums. DC is the greatest museum town I've ever been to by far. It's certainly one of the top five in the world. It's the headquarters of the Smithsonian after all. But the art gallery was my personal favorite. Absolutely gorgeous building. Three stories of endless galleries of some of the greatest world renowned artwork I've ever seen in once place. There's also numerous small private galleries, like the one that famously features Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. A must see.

The town is cleanly and I never saw any police except for when they were directing traffic for a marathon. I heard announcements about police activity at metro stations over the Metro PA system. I felt safe everywhere I went. Even at night where activity pretty much doesn't stop just because the sun goes down.

Then there's the National Mall. Set aside a day for all that.

The only drawbacks are.
1.) Freakishly hot in the summer. We had the fortune of abnormally mild weather while we were there.
2.) Expensive. Everything is pricey. But tourists should have little reason to pay for anything other than food. We had a fine burger joint a couple of blocks from our hotel and a grocer that sold prepared meals to the students at the near by Georgetown University. Great food and very affordable. Lodging is expensive everywhere.
3.) Homeless. There are a lot of homeless on the streets of our nations capitol. Absolutely f-king disgraceful. They line the streets but they keep to themselves. I never saw a single one even address passersby. Still, dejecting to see.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I've been to D.C, Canada, and Peru for "different" places. I can't say everywhere I've been because I've been everywhere and not much else is worth noting.

I hate vacations. Haven't been on one in years and I am relieved. Hate the beaches and I hate how uncomfortable I am having to wear swimwear. Just leave.

Been to Myrtle Beach like thrice. Been to Ocean City also thrice. Went to Disney World once. Went to Lake Hartwell once. The end.

Of those, Ocean City is my favorite and that's mostly because I like the hotel we stay at and there's this amazing seafood place in Delaware that makes it worth it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have been to a few different places. France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Lanzarote, Tenerife and Japan.

My favourite was Japan. It was somewhere I had always wanted to go and my friends had to go without me the year before as I was busy with university. But after hearing their stories and them expressing desire for another trip I was totally up for it.

I went at the beginning of winter when it was a cool temperature. I like the cold and hate the heat so that was the perfect time to go for me. It was 3-13 degrees C which is perfect weather for just a cotton shirt for me.

I stayed in Osaka mainly and travelled to Kyoto and Nara whilst I was there. Prices were comparable to England maybe even a bit cheaper for food. I don't know why people say Japan is an expensive place. It really isn't that bad.

Generally the people out there are so different. They are polite and reserved. There is no street crime or disorderly behaviours. Everyone seems willing to help you out if you need it. There is virtually no homelessness and the only hobo we saw wore a purple suit and looked like a grand Kung Fu master with his beard and moustache. He never pestered anyone for money.

Trains were excellent and come on time to the second. 20 seconds deviation would lead to a national apology offered by the train company. Queues are orderly when getting on to them.

There are many beautiful temples and palaces to explore and we did quite a few. Kyoto was particularly good for this as the old imperial palace was there. You also find a lot of people wearing traditional Japanese kimonos and you also are likely to see some Geishas.

Food was delicious. I am a lover of Ramen and I had what is considered by many to be the best Ramen in the world. Ichiran Ramen! Look the place up it is amazing. You sit in your own private booth with a hatch in front of you which the servers work behind. You pass your order slip and tickets to them which you obtain from a machine at the entrance. Then the hatch closes and reopens when your ramen is ready. The hatch then closes again. When you need a refil you just press the sensor and a musical theme plays throughout the restaurant! Then your hatch reopens and more noodles are handed through. I get daily cravings for this ramen and I simply must return to Japan to eat them again. They were so good I turned down a pimps offer of some hot Japanese sex on my way to this place. I told him to keep his sex and that I wanted noodles.

Also got to eat pufferfish which is something you can't do in the western world. It was a great experience and was tasty too. I got fried puffer and a hotpot to try a couple of different styles of eating the delicacy.

There is also anime stuff everywhere! Though not Death Note stuff unfortunately. But if you like Attack on Titan, Jojos bizarre adventure, or Dragonball then you will be in heaven.

I visited Nara park which has over 100,000 deer roaming around. They will often bow for a biscuit but I happened to come across the fearsome Killgore! A vicious radioactive deer from Fukushima. Unfortunately I was attacked by the beast. The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed. But I assure you my resolve has never been stronger!

I never got to visit Tokyo on my trip but next time I want to stay there and visit the neighbouring cities.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I hate vacations. Haven't been on one in years and I am relieved. Hate the beaches and I hate how uncomfortable I am having to wear swimwear. Just leave.

Been to Myrtle Beach like thrice. Been to Ocean City also thrice. Went to Disney World once. Went to Lake Hartwell once. The end.

Of those, Ocean City is my favorite and that's mostly because I like the hotel we stay at and there's this amazing seafood place in Delaware that makes it worth it.

Why does a vacation have to mean swimming and beaches? I hate the sand it's rough and coarse and irritating...and it gets everywhere.

Go somewhere cold. Ride a husky driven sleigh somewhere. I don't think I'm likely to do a hot country again I just can't cope with the temperatures.

I want to visit Alaska, Canada, and some of the Scandinavian countries like Sweden, Iceland and Norway. If I don't do Japan again for my next one it will be one of those.

Last edited:

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I guess I've never really been on a 'real' vacation. The closest would be the few trips to amusement parks growing up. The farthest I've been from home is four hours away, to a neighboring state, when we went to King's Island for our senior trip in high school. I've also been to another neighboring state, though that was only a couple hours away, for concerts. So my vacations are normally just small day trips to do something specific in a new location.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
As a kid I went with my family to a bunch of different Mediterranean countries, which was nice enough. As an adult I've done a different kind of travelling, I go abroad for conventions and other events like it. Usually London, but also went to Essen last year. My favourite has to be my first UK trip, not just because it was all new and shiny and it was my first trip abroad on my own, but because it got to be a very unique experience compared to all the others.

Not only did I manage to fit in a signing event, a convention and a play starring some actors I really liked, but I also got to meet so many of the people I had spent the previous couple of years talking to online, one of which even brought me along to her school and her work, which was very interesting to see. I didn't stay in one spot the whole time, which is what I usually do, but actually went several places across the country. And I also turned 20 during the convention I attended and got some really sweet birthday hugs and wishes from the guests. Have yet to top that birthday, lol.

Why does a vacation have to mean swimming and beaches? I hate the sand it's rough and coarse and irritating...and it gets everywhere.
Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of where I would travel. If I got to choose I'd probably go Grand Canyon, Yellowstone... basically anywhere with cool rock formations or other marvels that doesn't require me to flaunt my hideous body. Also trees are nice. Take me to some nature trails; I could go for some trees.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
My family is fairly poor so I didn't have a chance to travel much before University. I have had a very good chance to travel during University though due to all of my travel being partially or entirely covered by grants or scholarships.

Japan (Feb-March 2016)
Here I travelled to Tokyo to work for a Japanese trading company for two weeks on a Uni program. I also visited Sapporo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima on this trip. This was my first time to leave Australia and it confirmed my love for Japan.

China (Mid 2016)
For this trip I went to Beijing and Shenzhen for a two week trip with a Chinese Telecommunications Company. It was cool to see another country and climbing the great wall of China was an awesome thing to tick off the bucket list.

Japan (December 2016)
During this trip I went to Tokyo, Nagasaki, and Hiroshima on a Japanese Government funded tour to learn about the importance of peaceful society. Here I was able to stay with a host family (that I'm still in contact with), and speak to a survivor of the Hiroshima bombing in WW2 which is an experience I'll never forget.

Japan (Jan-Feb 2017)
I did a Japanese Language class at a University in Tokyo during this trip for two weeks. I extended the trip another two weeks to also visit Sapporo (Snow Festival), Miyagi (Cat Island, Fox Village, Ishinomaki), Iwate (Snow Festival), and Chiba (Game Party Japan 2017).

Indonesia/Japan/South Korea (Jan-Feb 2018)
I participated in a University class in Surabaya, Indonesia to learn about Sustainable Development in Developing Countries. I also was able to do some white water rafting, and ride up a volcano on a horse, and explore the city with local student guides. Then I went straight to the annual Snow Festival in Sapporo, Japan for my third year in a row which was heaps of fun. I spent an extra long layover in Seoul afterwards and was shown around the city by a Korean friend I had met in Indonesia.

I'll be moving to Yokohama, Japan in a month from now and plan to be there for a year and a half. During this time I hope to take vacations all over Japan, to South Korea, to Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, and others.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Been to Florida four times, California twice, Boston twice, New York once, been to several places in Canada, been to Dominican Republic, and been to London twice.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Tell us about where you have been and where you want to go in the future. I absolutely love traveling and have been all over the world. Ive been to many of the states as well as Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama, Columbia, Peru, the Bahamas, UK, Denmark, Netherlands, Portugal, and Iceland. I’d really love to visit Germany and Japan.

Where have you been?

dk902466

mamma mia
In 2016 my wife and I traveled to Hawaii for our delayed honeymoon, and it was absolutely gorgeous. It was her first plane flight, and seeing as how we live on the East Coast of the US it was quite an experience for her! She had never been to a beach outside of Jacksonville, Florida and maybe Myrtle Beach, so it was really nice to see her reaction to the beautiful waters around the island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom