• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Using the Shield

Do you constantly use a shield?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know for me using my shield properly started in WW. But have the rest of you ever neglected the power of the shield?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I very rarely use mine. Normally, I just keep it around for looks. Even in Skyward Sword, I hardly ever have one equipped. You actually don't need a shield to beat the game; I've done it without one. That includes Demise, by the way.

For me, the use of the shield all comes down to how good you are. If you're a skilled enough player, you can manage just fine with side steps. In most cases, parts of a game you'd need a shield for don't actually require one. For example, you can get through the entire Forsaken Fortress the first time Link goes there without using/raising your shield once. I've done it lots of times.

I guess you could say I'm guilty of shield neglection on a daily basis.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I've always used my shield in EVERY Zelda game. I had to really work in SS because it really felt like shields finally stopped being an automatic part of fighting. I found myself losing hearts and I would facepalm myself saying "Shake the nunchuk you baka! The shield isn't automatic!"

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I very rarely use mine. Normally, I just keep it around for looks. Even in Skyward Sword, I hardly ever have one equipped. You actually don't need a shield to beat the game; I've done it without one. That includes Demise, by the way.

For me, the use of the shield all comes down to how good you are. If you're a skilled enough player, you can manage just fine with side steps. In most cases, parts of a game you'd need a shield for don't actually require one. For example, you can get through the entire Forsaken Fortress the first time Link goes there without using/raising your shield once. I've done it lots of times.

I guess you could say I'm guilty of shield neglection on a daily basis.

See, I think the opposite. I believe that it takes a certain level of skill to use your shield in a Zelda game – one that I have not quite reached yet. ^^

I'm always too slow when taking out my shield, so I rarely ever use it.

...Actually, on second thought, I use it pretty often in Ocarina of Time, but I've only started that habit recently because I was sick and tired of those stupid stupid Lizalfos always hitting me. And since it's automatic in LoZ, I use it too...

Ah well. I know I never use it in Skyward Sword. I always forget about it.

N

NoahTheNinNerd

I started using it A LOT in OoT 3D- I noticed how I would pull it out instinctively. I REALLY started to notice in Dodongo's Cavern when fighting the Lizalfos. I didn't use it a lot in Skyward Sword, though...

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I hardly ever use my shield. In SS, I actually try to avoid using it. I don't like seeing a shield meter (or whatever you call it) that isn't full. In SS, I only ever use my shield if ther's no other way to proceed in the game. In the other games where your shield can't take damage, I still never use it simply becuase it never occurs to me that I have one.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I used my sheild when it was necessar. For example reflecting Deku Sprout seeds, using sunlight with the mirror sheild, etc. However I didn't use it constantly. I rarely use the sheild.The only game i used the sheild in was in ALttP. No clue why. Maybe because the best sheild is disproportionately big compare to link's body, so i gues i felt more protected lol

i used it at random times when im fighting an enemy i sometimes use and sometimes dont in some zelda games i did use it alot like skyward some but in ocarina of time so much

I never shield in any video games. It's a sign of weakness to rely on defensive maneuvers. Plus, in Zelda games it is wholly unnecessary to ever use the shield. In fact, even when shield use is heavily suggested I still don't do it. I never once shielded in the Demise fight in Skyward Sword. I never once shielded in the entirety of Wind Waker (except for the Mirror Shield puzzles, of course). I honestly feel as though the shield is more or less a useless item that may as well never show up again. Obviously it will, but I'm just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom