• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Using Substitute

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Has anyone here used a Substitute set with relative success? I've been stomped by a few online and have tried using some myself with my SubPunch Breloom. The general idea with a SubPunch setup is to use Substitute and then Focus Punch to deal out some heavy damage while your substitute takes the hit. I've seen Substitute used while trying to setup a Swords Dance or Dragon Dance as well. For those of you who know more about these kinds of sets or have had some experience with them, please let me know in this thread :)

Kybyrian

I don't see a lot of usefulness in a substitute set. I guess it does come in handy sometimes, but only for Focus Punch and stall sets really. Substitute is useless for the most part if you're just using it to be using it. It's very good on subseed sets, though. I'm sure you're familiar with Whimsicott, which is an extremely good subseeder. I've seeded and poisoned various enemies and then subbed up to take the damage from more painful attacks easily thanks to substitute. Aside from that and Focus Punch, there isn't a ton of usefulness behind it.

The viability behind setting up behind a substitute doesn't make sense to me. If you're making a sub, you need a guarantee it won't be broken as soon as you make it. If you're setting up on a Pokemon on a switch, a Substitute is useless, as you could have set up the sub just as easily as you could have swords danced on the switch. Thinking about it, though, you could easily resist status ailments with a sweeper if you set up a sub on someone. It's not a bad route to go if you have an extra move slot.

I have a pretty good Roserade that I subseed with. Leftovers, Stun Spore, leechseed, sludge bomb, and substitute. Can be pretty devastating.

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
If I have reasonable bulk and I want to run a Focus Punch set, I usually slap on an accuracy booster and use Hypnosis and Dream Eater in the set rather than Substitute. Example: My Poliwrath.

But I have used a Substitute set with reasonable success: My Staraptor. It has Substitute, Close Combat, Brave Bird and Double Edge. If I use it in Double Battles and convince the opponents that my other Pokemon is oh, so much more interesting, I can pull off severe recoil moves, both status recoil and physical recoil, for a fraction of the damage. But it's a risky set, not gonna lie.

So long as a pokemon can use Spore, I'd say you can use it pretty well. Since even in a switch out turn you can still set it up. If you're fast enough you can just Spore the next poke as well! The just focus punch the heck out of everything, which seems to be a common strategy with Breloom

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
From what i have seen, Substitute is more of a back-up plan than an actual move. For example, I recently came across someone who used Substitute with a Hydriegon (or however you spell it). He used it, and promptly took out my Dragonite with Dragon Pulse. While his sub was up, I could not revenge kill with my Ice type, and that meant he could easily kill it without losing more than 25% health. I have also seen it used to prevent status conditions, but I personally only use it for stalling.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
I've tried using SubPunch Breloom with little effect. I prefer using Breloom with Drain Punch, Seed Bomb, Swords Dance and Spore

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
I've used it in many ways but it's never really worked as a set strategy for me. Like Markaen said, its more of a backup plan for me. I've used it with little success.

Fig

The Altruist
Substitute is a good move if one knows how to use it correctly and efficiently. It's a great life saver in times of rough battles. I use Substitute on Pokémon that I know have the stability of surviving and have great moves to use while in Substitute form! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom