• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds USGamer: Horrible Graphics. Comparing It with the Ones of the CDi Games

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Was this discussed before?

A Link Between Worlds reproduces entire elements of A Link to the Past wholesale, and it attempts to recreate quirky 20-year-old bitmap graphics in polygons. The effect, unfortunately, doesn't quite work, and the whole affair is an eyesore -- especially cutscenes, where the awkward appearance of characters (who come off as refugees from the lowest grade of third-party Dreamcast software) deflates any intended dramatic impact.

You can't help but be disappointed by this outcome, as the Zelda games have generally featured fairly attractive graphics. You'd certainly never know about this legacy by looking at this latest entry, though. Even the DS games, low-resolution as they were, demonstrated a pleasant art style that worked well within that system's constraints. A Link Between Worlds reminds me less of Phantom Hourglass and more of those laughably terrible CDi games that Philips developed (leaving a permanent stain on the franchise's reputation to serve as Nintendo's penance for backing out on their "Play Station" deal with Sony). I many hours into A Link Between Worlds at this point, and throughout the entire adventure I've cringed at the agony being inflicted on my eyes every time I glance at the screen.

Wow, I mean Wow! Criticism is always welcome. But only if the Reviewer knows how to turn on a Gaming Console. This is so horrible bad written. And the comparisons to the CDi Games are almost pathetic.

Is USGamer popular in the States? Never heard of these guys. Sounds more like an early Review to generate Clicks for the Article. I mean, yes, the Graphics may not be that beautiful and detailed when zoomed in the faces during Cutscenes. But this Review is nothing more than stacked rubbish. Crap.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I have never heard of USGamer before tbh, however I must say that I both agree and disagree with them. On one hand, the cutscenes DO look pretty downgraded. Corny is the proper word tbh. On the other hand, the main game has that Zelda charm, and even that ALttP charm, at least graphically so I see no issue there.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I agree with him, but not to the extent he went. I actually don't think it's a pretty game at all, I think it's quite ugly, art-style and graphically, but he does go a bit OTT about it. And it's not like it'll detract from the gameplay.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
If the Graphics are charming or not is only to be revealed on your own 3DS. It's quite hard to judge a 3DS game not played personally. With the Vita, you can publish high resoultion pictures and videos. That's, unfortunately, definitely not possible when it comes to the 3DS.

But no, I would never go so far to call the Artstyle/Graphics ugly. It's like Diablo III. It is not the most prettiest Game in this Generation, but absolutely charming looking.

While I'm not against someone who critize the Visuals, I'm against absurd comparisons like these guys from the Review did.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
While I'm not against someone who critize the Visuals, I'm against absurd comparisons like these guys from the Review did.

Definitely agreed 100%. Unlike Northerners I can say that we two have hearts, and we can see through the dust with our Hearts. Keep it strong, Unlucky Monkey, else you may face a Northerner with a silly review like this one. It's quite disparaging to have someone breath down your neck saying "these graphicsa re CDI QUALITY" and mean it. :/

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To be honest I actually like the graphics, so what if there not 1080p HD? They look great for a handheld and it's nice that Nintendo are including cinematic cut scenes with a top down game, which is a new addition.

I've never heard of this reviewer but the graphics aren't a defining factor in what, essentially, is a gameplay focused game.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Keep it strong, Unlucky Monkey, else you may face a Northerner with a silly review like this one.

Maybe I'm brave enough to read the complete Review when it's published Ventus :D

@justac00lguy

I think I read the Name "USGamer" often when I'm visiting Metacritic. Seems like they're posting their Reviews with the focus on the "Most attention we can get".

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Wow. That is harsh.

"I many hours into A Link Between Worlds at this point..." <-- I'm not sure if this was just mis-quoted or what, but that currently makes no sense. It comes off as pretty foolish when you write a harsh, very critical review like this, and it clearly wasn't proof-read. And this line right here really annoys me: "You can't help but be disappointed by this outcome," I hate to use this reference but EXCUUUUUUSSSE ME, PRINCESS? Is this reviewer actually telling the reader what to feel?? That's a big no-no, sir or madam. You can't pass off your own opinion as fact and pretend everyone has it. *Grr... Grumble... Grumble...*

I even quite like the graphics for ALBW. I've always admired Nintendo's ability to make more from less in terms of graphics, and ALBW looks pretty good to me. Sure, they're not really my favorite graphics in the series but they aren't anywhere near as bad as the CDi abominations. And in my opinion, they look far better than Phantom Hourglass. Besides, to me good graphics are only gravy. I don't need them to enjoy my meal, thank you very much.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
"I many hours into A Link Between Worlds at this point..." <-- I'm not sure if this was just mis-quoted or what, but that currently makes no sense.

No it isn't a mistake that came from the quote, it is the real deal :D They didn't even correct it on their own Website. I think he means: "In many.....". But this is pretty bad for a professional Review.

You can read the Review called "A Link Between Worlds: Looks like crap, plays like a dream" on their Homepage: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-link-between-worlds-looks-like-crap-plays-like-a-dream

If this Review goes Online over at Metacritic, they should prepare for a S***storm.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Wow, I mean Wow! Criticism is always welcome. But only if the Reviewer knows how to turn on a Gaming Console. This is so horrible bad written. And the comparisons to the CDi Games are almost pathetic.
They are not comparing the graphics of this game to those of the CDI games. They are saying the CDI games looked hideous at the time and ALBW look hideous for the time.
When we have OOT3D on the 3DS there should be no excuse for corny looking characters. ALBW has some amazing art for it, yet the game itself bears little resemblance.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds-4.jpg
This is a cutscene from ALBW

the_legend_of_zelda_ocarina_of_time-1616930.jpg

This one is from OOT3D

A-Link-Between-Worlds-Artwork-2.jpg

This is the ALBW artwork of link, here he looks like he is from OOT3D rather than ALBW

I wish the game looked better. Apparently the gameplay will make up for the eyesore, but it is always better to have both great visuals and gameplay. Even if it plays perfectly there will always be complaints about the look.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
@Ganonking

And here is the problem. Comparing the Graphics of Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link Between Worlds? This won't work. Why? Because you can't compare both looks. Ocarina of Time 3D is a fully 3D Action-Adventure, with complete remastered graphics. A Link Between Worlds is made to enjoy with the Top-down view. Diablo III features a similar perspective. Those Games did not look shiny in Cutscenes. Beside that flaw, the graphics are charming.

When it comes to the Artwork Ganonking, I have to agree with you. They changed the Link Artwork, yet, none of them suits the Model featured in the game.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Being a retro junky, this opinion holds no weight with me! Graphics are Never an issue for me when i am deciding whether i like a game or not! Now if the graphics are so bad they hinder gameplay then yeah ill give you that! But then again my opinion is the opinion of an old fart who is stuck in the golden days of gaming when visuals didnt matter, it was all about the gameplay!

so even if i were to take in this Pricks opinion as fact, he still said it plays like a dream. So to me, thats saying the game is great. all the BS about poopy graphics mean nothing to me!

Being a retro junky, this opinion holds no weight with me! Graphics are Never an issue for me when i am deciding whether i like a game or not! Now if the graphics are so bad they hinder gameplay then yeah ill give you that! But then again my opinion is the opinion of an old fart who is stuck in the golden days of gaming when visuals didnt matter, it was all about the gameplay!

so even if i were to take in this Pricks opinion as fact, he still said it plays like a dream. So to me, thats saying the game is great. all the BS about poopy graphics mean nothing to me!

Thank you.

Visuals are great and definitely important, but these graphics aren't even bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom