• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resolved Username Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
So I was thinking, I kind of want to change my username, however the change is permanent according to our current rules (unless you're Gobli). Various ideas have been brought up as a way to go about username changes. I'm proposing two ideas:

•Change the rule to allow two username changes per user

•Sell username changes in the shop, to where a user pays a certain amount of gold to change their Username

Out of the two, I would opt for the latter. Make the cost anywhere from 500-1500 gold and you're in business. My only issue would be how frequently one changes their username. Their should be at least a 6 month window before one can change their username again, but I'm not sure if you can work that into vBShop.

Thoughts?

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
MegaGobli here I come. :lol:

I like the idea of having to pay gold in order to change the name, but I think twice a year would be fine imo. Imagine all the chaos that would come if there were more number of changes per year; well, it would be fun making peeps all confused about it, too. ^^

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm iffy on the idea of making the username cost #### gold. While some would continue to post as normal, perhaps be a little more active, I can also imagine we'll have a lot more spam, a lot more "ya, this is cool" posts from people who just want the gold for the name change.

I think a name change once every 6 months or once every year would be fine.

I would rather have username changes set to once every few months than purchasable with gold. If username changes could be bought in the market, they would have to be sufficiently cheap to allow every member to purchase them since some people don't post as much as others. The problem with this is that people with a lot of gold could buy several username changes in a short span of time to intentionally confuse others.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
This is the question I've been struggling with. Does it make sense for the more active members to be able to change their names more frequently? Or is that backwards?

I'm not too concerned with spamming just to get gold, but I also want to add other items to the shop to make it a tougher decision. (so the shop doesn't turn into a "change your name every x posts" machine)

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
This is the question I've been struggling with. Does it make sense for the more active members to be able to change their names more frequently? Or is that backwards?

I'm not too concerned with spamming just to get gold, but I also want to add other items to the shop to make it a tougher decision. (so the shop doesn't turn into a "change your name every x posts" machine)

I agree with others in that it should be like every 6 months or something like that.

Clank

Hmm

Why not have a much simpler policy where the proposed name change is brought up and voted on by the mod/admin team? That way all reasonable requests would be granted, but it would easily solve the problem of members frequently changing their name.

Why not have a much simpler policy where the proposed name change is brought up and voted on by the mod/admin team? That way all reasonable requests would be granted, but it would easily solve the problem of members frequently changing their name.

This thread proposes solutions to make the username change process simpler. Allowing users the ability to purchase a username change or do so via an option on their profile is simpler than contacting the admin to do so. Having both mod and admin intervention only makes things more cumbersome.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I'm up for the every 6 months/once a year thing.

I wouldn't be opposed to having it exist as a buyable option either, though some policy should be in place to stop several back-to- back changes. I feel as if it would get really difficult to keep track of who's who if such a policy wasn't implemented alongside it.

I also think users who ended up misspelling their names, or want a minor variation of their current user handle should be allowed to have their names altered without it having to count as a name change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom