• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

User Profile Blogs?

Would you like to see a user blog system?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I tend to like blogging a lot, but only with privacy settings. So I'm not sure how often I'd use one, but at the same time, I think it would be useful - for example, I've had low activity over the last couple of weeks due to work and that would be a good place to put that. I also could use it to link to things I've found that had no appropriate place on the forum. In short, I think it's worth a "trial run" at least (and you could advertise it as such if you wanted, so that people knew that there was a possibility it may go away.)

And I personally don't mind most joining threads (I wouldn't think to check a new user's blog) but I do like Meego's idea of using it to help eliminate leaving threads. Because it's nice to know when people have left, but lately they've been more drama-filled than practical. Blogs wouldn't stop the drama but at least they could put it farther out from the public eye.

Kind of like MyIGN? I think it would be a good idea so members can feel more connected with the community. You guys can also do community spotlights where every week or month someone on the staff picks a user's blog to be featured as the shoutbox notice or on the front page.

From a moderation standpoint, I would find it annoying to have to deal with more personal content that doesn't have to do with Zelda, which is a more defined topic.

A few people have addressed this, I'm pointing out Locke's because it seems to be the most straight forward to respond to. People initially join a site like this to talk about Zelda. It is the reason why they join. Its a forum, and yes it should be mostly about the topic it is meant to discuss... But why do people stay at ZD. I can guarantee you for the most part (the people who have stayed 2,3+ years) it is not for the Zelda boards but rather for the friendships they have made on the forum.

While personal content is not about Zelda, it helps keep the member base alive, Giving them a reason to check back into ZD more often then if they only did when they had a Zelda issue really probing their mind. I've been a member of the Zelda community for just over 6 years now. My first 2 years in the community I was very much into the Zelda discussion, over the past 4 years I've become more of a general chat person, but I still occasionally go into the zelda boards when I think of something or an interesting (to me) thread is brought up. Zelda isn't my main focus at ZD but it is still alive and well.

So that is my little blurb on why the non-zelda related stuff needs to have its space on ZD. Its ultimately to compliment the forum and the Zelda section and ensure a healthy life of the forums.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I would support the new blog system. I understand Locke's argument because he's a Moderator, but most of the time in the SB, Skype chat and elsewhere, there isn't much talk of Zelda. More of our personal lives, really. I don't see why blogs would be a big problem. Most members would probably exhibit the same behavior in blogs that they do on the forums.

Diablo

King of Redeads
Awesome idea, AI constantly have projects that I'm working but really don't have a proper way to talk about them on the forums. There is that moderation issue though how would mods make sure that people are writing appropriate things on their blog.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I think blogs would be a great idea, it'd allow everyone to talk about something without needing to post it in an entirely new thread. I think it's a good idea, and a good way to let everyone know something at once.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I think it would be really great. Maybe put something like Shoutbox restrictions on the Blog system as well, that might reduce spamming and trolling. I agree that it would help reduce the number of goodbye threads in the general section.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I think it is important that we have either the standing rules when it comes to blogging as we do with the fourms, or to even have it's own set of rules.
It should be layed out in such a way that there is no question as to what is acceptable, and what is not. That way it won't be as hard to moderate the blogs.
People may claim that because it is a personal blog that they are allowed to say whatever it is they want to say, but as with everything, I think a set of 'Ground rules' would be a good idea to have for the blogs.

Just my 2 cents.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I think they are a fun idea, but I doubt that I will use mine, personally. And there has to be some way to effectively moderate them...

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
And I personally don't mind most joining threads (I wouldn't think to check a new user's blog) but I do like Meego's idea of using it to help eliminate leaving threads. Because it's nice to know when people have left, but lately they've been more drama-filled than practical. Blogs wouldn't stop the drama but at least they could put it farther out from the public eye.

This is the main reason why I would support blogs wholeheartedly. As I'm sure many people know, I really dislike the drama aspects of the community forum. I would hope personal blogs would help remove these over-the-top exits.

I can see possibly using mine as I've had topics in mind before that I felt just didn't need a thread, but I wanted to discuss (like my own stories of growing up with the Zelda series and the like). I do see moderation (as pointed out many, many times above) could be an issue though. I would almost say more user-based moderation (reporting of offensive material) might be more beneficial here. I doubt mods would really want to have to comb through user blogs unless a problem's reported.

I can see where there might be more member-aimed hating in blogs though. IE - a user has a tiff with another user, and then goes and spouts off on them in their blog. It's less likely to be noticed ASAP as it would in a thread. I guess it bears watching I suppose to see if this happens, or if people behave with their blogs. I suppose it wouldn't be much worse than the visitor messages and how they can sometimes be misused in talking about people "behind their backs" in plain view.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think it would subtract from the forums, users might become more interested in focusing on their own personal blog than on posting and making threads. But then again I'm sure many people would enjoy this feature, I'm just saying, it would change the forums and its users, and I like it as it is. Since there are sooo many users I rather not have to check everyones user profile just to read their thoughts. I rather go to a thread and read multiple posts from multiple people.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think they are good, so I voted yes. Let's see how they do over the course of a few weeks. My thought is that after a few weeks, they won't be used as often, but will still be made occasionally.

My concern is similar to Raven. The forums are a place where you can 'blog' pretty much at anytime.

However, what has occurred to me is that... forums themselves could be considered dated by some people. They've moved on to more social network type sites where it is even more interactive. So while it might take away a few threads/posts from the forums, I think it adds to the overall community. Consider it more as an expansion of what our community is defined as.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Good points Mazes, I just thought I'd mention though.. that it seems like a lot of the ZD forum users are talking about non Zelda related things on their blogs. Effectivly making ZD forums into a less Zelda oriented community, however it's not really something to be concerned about, users talk about all sorts of non zelda related things in the SB, and in quite a few of the forums sections. though I do agree that it is an expansion.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think that blogs would be an awesome idea! They would really help keep me interested in the site, because it would allow me to see a more personal side of the community than just talking about topics on the main forum. People could talk about everything from what's going on in their life, to their current progress on a video game. I know there are a lot of things I would like to share now, but don't because I'm not sure they would make good forum topics. They're just more interesting to people who want to get to know me, or care about what I'm doing, my progress, etc.

I suggested the idea once before, but I didn't think anyone was listening. Thank you, Justin!

Oh, and sorry I'm not posting more... I'm just feeling really distracted right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom