• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

USA Raising Federal Tobacco Purchasing Age to 21

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Source.

The federal age for purchasing tobacco products in the USA will be raised to 21 years old in summer 2020.

What do you think about this policy?

I personally hate smoking and my immediate emotional response would be that it should just be banned for everyone but in reality that just wouldn’t work out and would create another black market for those products.

I find it quite stupid that at 18 you apparently are deemed to have the capacity to enlist in the military and go to die for your country, or buy a gun, but you can’t go out and purchase some alcohol or cigarettes.

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
Authoritarian arseholes at it again. If there is to be an age of consent at all it must be consistent. If you can enlist in the army at 18, have sex and burden your family and society with a baby you certainly can't afford at 16 but can't buy cigarettes or alcohol until you are 21 it is absolutely absurd.

I'm not sure the exact reason for this and I don't care because civil liberties should not be impinged upon but it is certainly to make them money somehow.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

~ ZD's Pug Smuggler ~
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
People find ways to buy the products illegally. There were peers I had in Highschool who smoked cigerettes but they were underaged, there was underaged drinking going on as well.

I think 18 should maybe be the age to purchase alcohol legally, the legal age to buy tobacco should have remained 18 as well: it causes less problems.

On the otherhand, the alcohol age restruction is almost in line with the point when your brain is finally fully developed (only 4 years shy). Drinking heavily while your brain is still in development probably isn't ideal, but since you are legally considered an adult at 18, screwing your brain up by drinking a lot should be your own decision.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

The Devil's Advocate
ZD Legend
I find the idea ridiculous, especially in the United States.

If you are 17 in the US, you are old enough to sign a contract with the US military and die for your country. If that's how old you must be to join the military, then it's the same age when you should be able to vote, drink, smoke, ****, and gamble. Anything else is ridiculous.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

The Great Old One, Star Spawn, Sleeper of R'lyeh
It's a ridiculous change. Mostly because laws like these have a historical track record of not working.

If I can purchase a rifle, vote, enlist in the military, consent to having sex at 18, then I should be able to buy a handgun, purchase alcohol, and I most certainly should be able to buy tobacco.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
ZD Legend
The only real case I can see against making some of these things legal at 18 is that it makes it easier for high schoolers to get ahold of them and give to their younger classmates. There might also be a case for them being more likely to drive drunk as well.

I think anyone who wants to drink is going to be able to get their hands on alcohol, though.

I highly doubt this law will change much. It's mostly a gesture. Hopefully people who are 18-20 who smoked before don't start getting arrested now for doing it.

The fact that you can enlist in the army at 18 but can't purchase cigarettes or alcohol is absurd. If you're going to make government standards, have them be consistent. Everything should be either 18 years of age minimum or 21 years of age minimum.

Moe the Moblin

We Are Number One
Lol this bill is actually terrible apparently, it also allocates some millions to gun violence research and 1.4 billion to border wall fund and the age limit also applies to vaping products

Eli Ayase

Bass singer extraordinaire.
I agree with raising the tobacco purchase to 21. But lower the drinking age to 18. Puerto Rico, part of this country has a legal drinking age of 18. The law of being 21 isn't going to stop teens from drinking. The only reason why I said raise the smoking age and lower the drinking age is due to tobacco containing nicotine and the risk of cancers later in life. I'm not sure about alcohol. The worst I know of is you damage your liver so bad that you need a liver transplant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

The Devil's Advocate
ZD Legend
I agree with raising the tobacco purchase to 21. But lower the drinking age to 18. Puerto Rico, part of this country has a legal drinking age of 18. The law of being 21 isn't going to stop teens from drinking. The only reason why I said raise the smoking age and lower the drinking age is due to tobacco containing nicotine and the risk of cancers later in life. I'm not sure about alcohol. The worst I know of is you damage your liver so bad that you need a liver transplant.
What do you think about the discrepancy between the age in which you can buy alcohol and tobacco and the age when you can enlist? In the United States, you can die for your country at seventeen, but can't buy alcohol or tobacco until you're twenty-one (unless stationed somewhere with a lower drinking age).

Last edited by a moderator:

MapelSerup

I swear I’m not Canadian
ZD Champion
My personal opinion is just to let people do what they want. If they want to screw themselves over with drugs and alcohol, good for them. More money should be spent providing education and rehab. The government should try to convince people not to use these things, not force them. It just ends up draining money. There should definitely be a minimum age, but it needs to stay consistent. The only one I think should stay different is the age of consent, but again, make sure people are properly educated about their choices. Lengthening the time before somebody’s allowed to do something doesn’t necessarily make them more informed or mature to handle that thing.

Reactions: Dio

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The libertarian in me says that if someone wants to fill their body with poison that's their right, and that it is futile and dangerous to attempt to legislate care of other people "for their own/the greater good" etc.

A somewhat more or less sensible part of me says that 18 is too young and dumb to be making that decision consciously, and that nicotine addiction is for life and becomes a life long burden on society.

At the end of the day, to settle this internal conflict I usually just default to "let them do whatever they want so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's business and let them deal with the consequences themselves."

But you really can't compare this legislation to guns, alcohol, driving, or military service.

Guns are not themselves inherently dangerous like carcinogens are. Neither is driving. Both are essential provisions.

Alcohol can have more of a negative effect on others, particularly in regards to drunk driving.

Military service is also in itself not inherently dangerous unless you're being deployed to active combat. The draft is another matter since it's involuntary, but then there hasn't been a draft in decades and I hazard that there never will be again. There are a lot nuances to consider in regards to this comparison.

While the question as to whether or not 18 year olds are as mentally fit to consciously acquiesce to all of these activities, smoking is the only one that provides no real benefit and is entirely harmful.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

The Devil's Advocate
ZD Legend
The libertarian in me says that if someone wants to fill their body with poison that's their right, and that it is futile and dangerous to attempt to legislate care of other people "for their own/the greater good" etc.

A somewhat more or less sensible part of me says that 18 is too young and dumb to be making that decision consciously, and that nicotine addiction is for life and becomes a life long burden on society.

At the end of the day, to settle this internal conflict I usually just default to "let them do whatever they want so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's business and let them deal with the consequences themselves."

But you really can't compare this legislation to guns, alcohol, driving, or military service.

Guns are not themselves inherently dangerous like carcinogens are. Neither is driving. Both are essential provisions.

Alcohol can have more of a negative effect on others, particularly in regards to drunk driving.

Military service is also in itself not inherently dangerous unless you're being deployed to active combat. The draft is another matter since it's involuntary, but then there hasn't been a draft in decades and I hazard that there never will be again. There are a lot nuances to consider in regards to this comparison.

While the question as to whether or not 18 year olds are as mentally fit to consciously acquiesce to all of these activities, smoking is the only one that provides no real benefit and is entirely harmful.
But why set the standard for military service to be lower than smoking a cigarette or throwing in a wad of dip? One of my best friends was a bronze star recipient at the age of twenty during his time as an infantryman. According to the law as it is now, he isn't legally old enough to stop in a gas station and buy a pack of cigarettes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom