• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Upgrading Companions

Despite how much it narks me off and how infuriating i find it, Phantom Hourglass had a lot of neat touches to it, and one of those neat touches was having three upgradable companions. Upgrading your three fairy helpers imbued your sword with a different power-up for whichever one you had equipped.

With SS making a move towards the upgrading trend with items etc, perhaps the upgrading system should be implemented in more depth to your companions. Most recent Zelda games have been far too easy and even taking out the companions wouldnt have made the games any more difficult, so perhaps while your companion helps you you could help your companion and perhaps by the end of the game Link could have a lot of extra powers and abilities out in the feild as a result of upgrading his companion... it may make them a little more interesting even if we hate their guts.

Opinions?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I can't see how this would mold with modern Zelda. The games are too easy and will only be getting easier, so why should we have companions that even relate to the battle moments? There's no moment of intensity and thus no need for upgradable companions, let alone companions at all.

Putting my rants aside, I do believe there will be a time where upgradable companions can become useful. With the right parameters, you could have partners a la Paper Mario, each giving you some kind of ability and various offshoots. Mayhap Navi would come along, give you a spell that allows you to wield your blade faster. Or some other companion lets you activate items faster? Who knows?

I'm not a huge fan of upgrading stuff, but I think that would be really cool. It does also depend on what or who the companion is, and what you could upgrade.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think this is a great idea...

Companions have always defied what a companion should actually be, they actually turn out to be more of a hindrance than actually helping Link *cough Fi *cough Navi Even though I like Midna and she was a great companion and all I still think that we should have been able to use her powers more.

If we take a game like Fallout where you can have multiple companions but each one is unique however am not saying we should have different companions but maybe how we decide to level up our companion impacts it on how it would indeed help Link. You could maybe upgrade set companion to help you within combat, maybe upgrading your companions knowledge to help you in situations when you are stuck, upgrading your companion to have a data base on each enemy or even using it to store items that Link can't hold...I think there is so many possibilities that can happen with companions, Nintendo need to stop using them as a cheap way of using a tutorial and actually make them helpful.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Even though I like Midna and she was a great companion and all I still think that we should have been able to use her powers more.

I think that Midna's powers are a great example of how this could be implemented well. I don't think having a companion help would necessarily make the game easier, but could give Link more options for how to get around--like Midna helping wolf Link jump higher--or giving you a little extra power in battle, like her assistance against pig Ganon. Making assists like these options whenever you want to call on them and having the player unlock those abilities wouldn't really be any different than finding items--but it would be a different way of expanding Link's abilities throughout the course of a game. I think it could make for a really interesting gameplay element if executed well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom