• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Upgrades - Which Items Benefit Most?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Skyward Sword tried out a few new things. One of these things I would like to see return in future is the item upgrade system. I thought it was a good idea, well implemented and had a noticeable effect on the game too, making Bug Catching easier, the Slingshot more powerful, the Beetle more useful, etc.

It occurs to me though that an upgrade system could breathe new life into old items. So here's point of the thread: which old items would you bring back to take advantage of an upgrade system and how would you upgrade them?

I'll give an example here to show what I mean. The Lens of Truth returns in ZeldaU and it lets you see invisible things like it used to. At some stage you upgrade it and now it can also show you enemies standing on the other side of actual walls, kind of like thermal imagining, I guess (or Promethean Vision in Halo 4).

So that's the thread. Which items would you bring back and how would you upgrade them? I'll share some more of my thoughts later.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Sword
Take it however you like, the Sword (whether it's the Magical Sword, White Sword, Master Sword, Lokomo...etc) is very much an item, and I think it's long overdue for some proper upgrading. Beyond the typical damage multipliers and extra length featured in Skyward Sword, I highly suggest having a "socketing" system alike that of the Diablo series by Blizzard, wherein you can loot a bunch of gems and set them into the blade giving it different properties. Several different upgrades I propose for the sword:
- Dealing Lightning Damage (and 25% chance to shock the enemy)
- Dealing Ice Damage (and 25% chance to freeze the enemy)
- Dealing Fire Damage (and 25% chance to ignite the enemy)
- Dealing Vulnerability (25% chance to weaken enemy defense stat by -.5x)
All of those upgrades and more can breathe more life into the sword, transforming what was once a dull every-day item to something truly extraordinary!

Bow and Arrow
I would take the idea that SS gave to the Slingshot--the Scattershot--and apply it to the Bow. But instead of having something typical like five shots, it would be the following things: dual-shot (two arrows for 25% less damage each), the Fire/Ice/Light trio (can be swapped a la OoT), reduced weapon sway when FPSing, and even an upgrade to transform it to a full auto crossbow just like in LCT!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I like the idea of getting a magic bow that never runs out of ammunition and that you can simply fight with for the fun of it.

Honestly though, I don't wanna see this return unless these upgrades are obtained by real sidequests. Grinding for treasure isn't fun.

I hated the grinding stuff upgrade system and sadly I'm a perfectionist, I just couldn't ignore It and not 100% SS... I'd support DarkestLink idea though, that worked very nice on MM with the gold dust sidequest for the upgraded sword. I also think upgrades should be more limited, the upgrades I enjoyed on SS were the beetle and item bags due to those not making things easier, unlike the other ones such as slingshot and shield.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
There aren't many specifics I can think of at the moment but I would definitely add in multiple paths for item upgrades in the future. It's something that would add more depth to the system, as well as more player choice, and that's always something Zelda can benefit from.

I hated the grinding stuff upgrade system

I rarely had to grind to upgrade anything in Skyward Sword (and I know I'm not the only one), so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
You know you aren't playing right when you have to grind for treasure, though i have noticed in SS that in the pool at the base of the tree in faron the treasure does change i have score a goddess feather one time and another a amber relic. As it is the multiple path idea is great i would love that, they did kind of implement that with the shield system you could pick you shield, and i feel that i have to point out, how is the thunder dragon challenge not a sidequest?

Bow and Arrow
Much like in WW where you could select numerous targets with the boomerang, I'd like to be able to do so with the Bow and Arrow, have link shoot 3 arrows instead of one and later on if magic is implemented in this hypothetical game it'd be really neat to use Ice, Fire and Light arrows all at once to take out multiple targets. I guess the upgrade would have to deal with the size of the bow and how many arrows could be loaded at any one point.

I'll come back to this with more ideas soon, I think i have an idea for the hookshots but not sure.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
In just a random (and uncreative) thought, I reckon a Boomerang upgrading to the Gale Boomerang would be a pretty sweet throwback. Whether it'd be mandatory or not is up for dispute, but for any decent use of its numerous additional abilities, I'd say so.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Here's some other ideas.

Bow

I like what Ventus and Spirit said about allowing the Bow to shoot more than one arrow, that'd be pretty cool. Some other ideas would be upgrading it with a Hawkeye style zoom function and (this one's a little odd) allowing it to shoot ropes. Like, you see a high ledge so you shoot one of these arrows up, it sticks in the wall and a rope hangs down, allowing you to climb up. Other than that, different types of arrows, as said before. Ice, Fire and Bomb arrows could all be obtained by upgrading.

Spinner

First upgrade adds a motor of some kind that allow you to use it without rails. Second upgrade adds spikes which shoot out when you make it hop, allowing it to hurt enemies. Basically, upgrade it into a faster mode of transportation as well as a weapon.

Dominion Rod

Maybe not a great idea this one but here it is anyway. What if you could upgrade it to allow you to temporarily take control of Iron Knuckles, Armos or Darknuts? Be pretty handy in a fight I should think.

Bombs

Upgrading them to be remote detonated like in The Minish Cap would be cool but what if they could do more than just explode? What about Smoke Bombs which produce (you guessed it) smoke? Roll one of these into a room full of enemies and when it goes off they all rush out to get some air. You then dispatch them while their guard is down. Perhaps Flash Bombs would be a step too far...

More, maybe, if I can think of anything. Keep your ideas coming, Team :)

Deku Leaf

This will probbaly end up putting me outside of Zelda's comfort zone here but taking the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker i think a nifty upgrade for it could be almost like a hand glider, think a nice wooden frame to mould it into shape and it'll take Link further and faster rather than slowly floats, he'd also be a bit more protected too.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I rarely had to grind to upgrade anything in Skyward Sword (and I know I'm not the only one), so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

Did you 100% the game? Did you get all upgrades for...

Wooden Shield x2

Iron Shield x2

Sacred Shield x2

Bug Net

Slingshot

Hook Beetle x2

Bowx2

8 Small Seed Satchels x2

8 Small Bomb Bags x2

8 Small Quivers x2

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Did you 100% the game? Did you get all upgrades for...

Wooden Shield x2

Iron Shield x2

Sacred Shield x2

Bug Net

Slingshot

Hook Beetle x2

Bowx2

8 Small Seed Satchels x2

8 Small Bomb Bags x2

8 Small Quivers x2

You do realize that it's pointless to get 8 of each extra container when there's no way you're going to use them all, right? You only need one of each to 100% the game. And, again, I rarely had to grind throughout multiple playthroughs to upgrade everything.

There aren't many specifics I can think of at the moment but I would definitely add in multiple paths for item upgrades in the future. It's something that would add more depth to the system, as well as more player choice, and that's always something Zelda can benefit from.

You had to get the required items for the upgrade and that could be kind of boring sometimes, such as getting the required tumbleweeds. It's not much of an issue on Skyward Sword, but I could easily see Nintendo making It harder and require more grinding on future titles and I would hate that. Sidequest upgrades are more fun and unique.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Cane of Somaria
L1: Make blocks (like in LttP)
L2: Other inanimate objects like ladders or grapping points for the claw shot
L3: added ability to make simulacrums that can be controlled to reach various out of reach switches and items

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom