• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Updating Your Nintendo 3DS

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Matt's Guide to Updating The Nintendo 3DS Handheld System

Periodically Nintendo is going to release updates to their Nintendo 3DS handheld system. These updates correct problems with the system, improve the efficiency of its functionality, and add additional features and programs.
150px-Nintendo_3DS.png
Depending on your your internet router, however, you may experience difficulty completing a system update. Usually the error message: An Error Occurred. Unable to Update
This message means that your internet router's security settings have blocked your 3DS from completing the update. There are two ways to fix this. The first is a very difficult and extremely technical custom IP for your 3DS, and the second is to disable your security settings temporarily. Obviously the more logical and universal choice for most routers is going to be disabling your security settings.

Here is a step by step guide to updating your Nintendo 3DS:
Step One:

• If you experienced the An Error Occurred. Unable to Update error before and you are still on the same internet connection, skip down to Step Two.
    NOTE: As of system update 2.0.0-3U, this step should be done automatically when you have a working internet connection. In such a case all you need to do is make sure the error isn't there. If it is, continue to step two. If your version is 2.0.0-2U or lower, then read the rest of step one.
Turn on your Nintendo 3DS. If it isn't charged enough, meaning the power light is flashing red, then you have to wait until it's sufficiently charged before you can update. Make sure you've already set up its internet connection. If you haven't, follow the instructions to do so included with your 3DS.
Next, in the Main Menu, scroll to the right until you reach the option System Settings and open it. Now use your stylus to select Other Settings. Scroll over with the arrow keys to Tab 4 and choose the option called System Update. Choose "OK" and connect to the internet. It will ask you to agree to the terms, just choose I Accept. Follow the onscreen instructions and make sure not to turn off your system.

• If the update worked, you're done. If you instead got the An Error Occurred. Unable to Update message, then continue to Step Two.
Step Two:
Determine your wireless router's login address and log into it through your internet browser. You can use Nintendo's Guide to help find your router's login address. Nintendo's guide has clickable links to each router's settings as well as their default usernames and passwords. All routers are set to these respective defaults when you get them, after you log into them you can leave these as is or change them.​
Step Three:
Once you are logged into your router find its security settings. Find the firewall settings and completely disable them. The click Apply or Enable, whichever your router has on the page, to disable your router's firewall protection.​
Step Four:
Repeat the process described in Step One. Proceed to Step Five when done.​
Step Five:
Once the update completes successfully, log back into your wireless router's settings and go back to its security settings. Return all the settings you changed to normal to re-enable your firewall.​

Now that your Nintendo 3DS is updated, your Menu Version, visible in the System Settings, should update to the latest version.
List of Updates:
This is a list of all known versions of the Nintendo 3DS system. If your menu version displayed in the System Settings displays the latest released version number, you do not need to update your 3DS. Note that the letters following the numbers indicate language areas. U for United States English, E for British English (in most of Europe and Austrailia), and J for Japanese. Below lists the United States versions, but they all should be identical otherwise from the language and spelling.
  • 1.0.0-0U - System Default - Initial version included at the launch of the system.
  • 1.1.0-1U - March 24, 2011 - Enhances overall network connection, improves stability of system, notably it fixes a "black screen of death" that causes certain 3DS games to only show a black screen that rendered them unplayable. Music video White Knuckles by OK Go added (deleted on subsequent system update)
  • 2.0.0-2U - June 6, 2011 - Adds Nintendo eShop, System Transfer, Internet Browser, 3DS camera update, enables SpotPass while in Standby Mode, improves stability of system, deletes music video White Knuckles by OK Go.
  • 2.1.0-3U - June 15, 2011 - Fixes and improves minor issues. Corrects problem with Ridge Racer 3D that was introduced in the previous update.
  • 2.1.0-4U - July 25, 2011 - Various improvements to the system stability. Supposed DRM features to disable homebrew and other unofficial modifications to the 3DS.
  • 2.2.0-XU - November 13, 2011 - Game card only update included on, and required by, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. It allows players to join in online games that friends are playing using the Friends List. Also improved system security.
  • 3.0.0-5U - December 6, 2011 - 3D Video Recording, new features for StreetPass Mii Plaza. Improvements to Nintendo eShop: Ability to download demos and in-game purchases, download in sleep mode, purchase additional content for games, improved payment options. Adds ability to use Nintendo 3DS software transfer. Improved security and online play. Blocks several flash cartridges. Nintendo Zone added in Japan and North America.
  • 3.0.0-6U - December 21, 2011 - Minor update to StreetPass Mii Plaza and a minor improvement to overall system performance.
  • 4.0.0-7U - April 24, 2012 - Improved eShop layout. Added ability to created up to 60 folders to contain downloaded games, apps, pre-installed apps, etc. on the main menu, ability to patch retail games, Nintendo Zone added to European 3DS units, Ability to take pictures of QR codes with the 3DS to redeem purchased content.
  • TBA - TBA - Nintendo Network to be added.
Notes:
  • So far there have only been reports of the updating feature experiencing this firewall blocking. All other wireless functions on the 3DS thus far do not share this problem and work correctly.
  • Future updates should give you a notification when they become available.
  • Updates released prior to the date you purchased and activated your 3DS might not give you a notification.
  • If your update download hangs or stops completely without a warning message being displayed, you may turn off your 3DS and try again. To improve performance in this case, move within 30 feet (9 meters) or closer from your wireless router and turn off any nearby interfering devices such as microwaves or cordless phones before attempting again. If it still doesn't work, attempt this at a friend's house that has a faster wireless router.
  • Translating most of the legal mumbo jumbo in the agreement you need to accept to get the update:the top parts only mean that an adult should read and agree to the terms, and not that the owner has to be an adult. And the rest is mostly just Nintendo threatening people not to try to hack or homebrew the system or "else".
  • Regarding the "black screen of death" error: It is a problem where during the playing of certain 3DS games the game locks up and reverts to a black screen rendering it unplayable and making most of the buttons unresponsive. Requiring you to completely shut down the unit to restore functionality, done by holding down the power button until the unit shuts off. The first 3DS update is supposed to fix this, however some people have reported that though while sometimes reduced, it still happens. For anyone still experiencing the black screen of death, the best advice is to be patient and wait for Nintendo to address it in the next update.
  • After getting the Nintendo eShop, and downloading several things, you may notice that the amount of space you have on your SD card isn't enough. Standard SD cards are only supported up to 2 GB, and have to have the FAT format. However, the 3DS can support SDHC cards at 4GB or larger. However your computer's SD card port might not read these cards, you may need to buy an SDHC card reader. The SDHC card must have the FAT32 file format or else the 3DS won't be able to use it. To replace the included SD card with a better one, you first need to take out the original card and then copy its contents to your computer, exactly, to a temporary location. Then insert the new card into your computer or card reader and then copy over the content you just got from the other card. Then it should work on the 3DS. The class of your memory card affects how fast it reads and writes. For comparison, the card included with the 3DS is class 2, meaning it writes at 2 MB/s. The highest class currently available is class 10. A higher class would improve download and saving times while downloading things from the eShop, as well as other miscellaneous improvements in reading and writing performance in operations where things are read and written to the memory card.
  • Note that DSiWare games and apps save to the system memory, which is quite small. While games and apps unique to the 3DS save to the SD card. You can move DSiWare to the SD card to save space, however they will only function when on the system memory.
  • The Netflix app available from the Nintendo eShop has a few bugs. Namely if you try to close the system while the app is still running and let it sit for a few hours or more, there's a chance that you'd open it back up to a blank screen with all the buttons unresponsive forcing you to turn the system off with the power button. Similar to the previous black screen of death error. A simple way to prevent it is, before you close the lid to the 3DS, is to press the home button to suspend the Netflix app. That will prevent most occurrences of the bug and it should pick up where you left off when you resume it.
  • The automatic updates introduced in version 2.0.0-3U are an type of digital rights management that enables them to install updates on their units that will disable devices that have been hacked or homebrewed, as specified in the update agreement. As such, automatic updates cannot be disabled, short of disabling wifi on the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Currently, there's only one update available (at least over here in PAL-land). To see if your update was successful, look for the 3D movie in your main menu. When selected, the top screen should say "For a Limited Time Only", along with a pic of a few parachute guys.

By the way, that video is awesome.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I did the update (now it's 1.1.0-1E) after hearing the "Black Screen of Death" case just after buying the console. But before that, I set my 3DS (like Wii) to the UK (despite living in Poland) to avoid surprises, like "service is not being offered", becuase Nintendo might not fully support all Central and Eastern European countries.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I'm getting worried that we haven't seen a release date for the next update and the e-shop. The 3DS is selling poorly, Nintendo needs to pull out all the stops.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Next update for the 3DS (with the E-shop) is june 7th.
That's the Japan date, and it's very early in the Japan day, anywhere else in the world it'll be later in the day on the 6th, which is what Nintendo of America announced. Anyway, the date's added now.

Godkarmachine

Angry Megaman Fan
I've updated it, and found the video rather annoying... xD I hope that i can delete it soon...
I'm also waiting for the e-shop and the internet browser (even if nintendo said it won't come with this update)
Let's just hope nintendo doesn't delay the next update anymore....

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Does the Mii creator function count as a 3DS game? I ask simply because I managed to get the 'black screen of death' while using it. Previously i'd simply heard of people getting the error while playing on an actual card game.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Does the Mii creator function count as a 3DS game? I ask simply because I managed to get the 'black screen of death' while using it. Previously i'd simply heard of people getting the error while playing on an actual card game.
I suppose it does. They weren't entirely clear what was effected by it. Since it is a software problem in the 3DS itself, not the games, I suppose it could effect the pre-installed apps too. The next update is almost here. Hopefully it'll be fully patched in that update. The first update was rather rushed. They have more time now to fix it.

B

Biendeo

I kind-of need some help importing my DSiWare after the update. I don't know where to look for the feature. Can anyone give me steps on how to import my stuff like Flipnote Studio and stuff like that?

Anubis

The most inactive active
I kind-of need some help importing my DSiWare after the update. I don't know where to look for the feature. Can anyone give me steps on how to import my stuff like Flipnote Studio and stuff like that?
After you've updated your system to the latest update. (Europe: 7th June, USA: 6th June)
Go to settings, open Data Management, (While you have the DSiWare data on your SD) Touch DSiWare and click on your SD card. But unfortunely 3DS can be very buggy so it may not read the files... (That's how it is for me.)

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
First, you need to download the "Nintendo 3DS Transfer Tool" for free on the Nintendo DSi Shop on your DSi/DSiXL. then to open them up and follow the steps onscreen. unfortunately, you can't transfer Flipnote Studio. For the whole list, visit by blog...
_______________________________________________________________________________|
..|
..|
..|
..|
..|
<

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom