• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Unified console = less Zelda games

So, if the NX is a unified console and replaces both the Wii U and 3DS, then with only one console will we get less Zelda games?

The 3DS may not fade away when the NX releases but if it did and the NX is Nintendos only platform will we get less Zelda games?

Will the 2d Zelda games cease to exist with just one unified console?

Or will we get more Zelda games? More 3D home games with more teams focusing amd working together on one platform?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I feel like it would be a near-end to the 2D and 2.5D games, but we would still get the same number of games. I mean, we got multiple Gameboy games, multiple Gamecube games, multiple DS games, multiple 64 games, and hell, multiple NES games. We'll be fine.

Salem

SICK
I honestly think the opposite, we SHOULD get more Zelda with a "hybrid" hand held and home console.

EDIT: I doubt this will mean the end of 2D Zelda, in fact this should mean better sales for them cause I noticed that home console Zelda sell better(to my knowledge).

Last edited:
I think the quantity of game will not change.

Note well I said game and not games. You will get the same number of hours of game play. Maybe over less games though. But it will be of higher quality. There will be no need to put out sub par stuff like triforce heroes just to have a portable Zelda game. Nintendo will not have to use resources on throwaway junk Zeda titles and can spend all their time on the better Zelda games that everyone can play because they are on the one console.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
No.

In fact, we will likely get more Zelda games. Working with a single console is a lot more simpler than working on 2. With two different consoles, you have to learn 2 different architectures, two different programming languages, and you have to create 2 completely different engines.

This makes development so much easier, especially considering that they have a Zelda game made, with a fantastic engine out the bat.

This will even make 2D Zeldas a lot easier to create as well, as they already have a fantastic graphics engine.

We will likely have at least 4-5 Zelda experiences, considering we have EAD3, which has the size to create 2 games at once, Grezzo, and Team Ninja to make a Hyrule Warriors Sequel.

If anything, the NX being a unified console will bring more high quality Zelda games to mix, not less.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think if there is a unified console the number and type of Zelda games we see will not change too much. I dont think it will mean the end of the top down style games either. They are easier to make and I think they will continue to be made to pad things out between the big 3D games.

No.

In fact, we will likely get more Zelda games. Working with a single console is a lot more simpler than working on 2. With two different consoles, you have to learn 2 different architectures, two different programming languages, and you have to create 2 completely different engines.

This makes development so much easier, especially considering that they have a Zelda game made, with a fantastic engine out the bat.

This will even make 2D Zeldas a lot easier to create as well, as they already have a fantastic graphics engine.

We will likely have at least 4-5 Zelda experiences, considering we have EAD3, which has the size to create 2 games at once, Grezzo, and Team Ninja to make a Hyrule Warriors Sequel.

If anything, the NX being a unified console will bring more high quality Zelda games to mix, not less.
The most important part is we will not get two games like 2x Hyrule Warriors were one looks good (WiiU) but the other has all the features and content (3DS). The one game for NX will have it all.

I believe there are two chances: Having Zelda games produced faster, or having more Zelda games at a time. If we have only a console left, they will probably have multiple development teams working at it at the same time for the same platform. Besides, Breath of the Wild will be most likely a launch title, so we may get another Zelda game sooner.

Tibari

Rinkuji
If NX is an unified console, it would mean we could get maybe as much games we got on Wii U and 3DS but in one console. That means a lot of games. (Plus 3rd party games maybe)

I don't think the amount of games would change that much because it depends on the dev teams and if they are working on a project.

WindFishTacos

"Look at those sideburns...that's true grit!"
I certainly hope the NX is not the end for 2D Zelda games. I grew up playing all of the gameboy color games first and the top down style is still my favorite way to play Zelda.

Isn't there always kind of not many Zelda games per console? Like... usually it maxes out at 2 original games per console and a series of rereleases to tide us over, doesn't it?

Personally, id rather have fewer but better Zelda games than a bunch of ones that could be improved. Think of Green Day releasing the album trilogy, but one album would've been great; quality will always beat quantity. Considering how much money we'll blow to get all of the quantity, it's respectable that Nintendo still focuses on quality so much when it comes to Zelda.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I don't think it makes a difference. But honestly, I wouldn't even mind. A Zelda game every 3 years is fast enough for me. We have so many already, and above everything else, I just want them to keep putting the effort into making each one feel unique.

This is an interesting question. I'm not too concerned about whether the rate will increase or decrease, but I know that I would love to see 2D Zeldas continue. If the Switch is to be the only console moving forward, developers will likely only want to focus on rich 3D Zelda games, but I would really love to see a NEW "retro" styled Zelda game in the vein of the Oracle games or ALttP, with that same topdown grid-based feel but with updated graphics and gameplay. It likely won't happen, but that's my dream!

Hopefully we don't, but considering the reaction to LBW, there's no way that they'll stop making the 2D/2.5D games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom