• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Underrepresented Genres You Want to See More Of

With the release of Streets of Rage 4 today and some interest in beat 'em up games being reignited after a long time away from the spotlight, I hope to see more games in the genre. The upcoming Battletoads looks promising but there isn't much in the way of classic beat 'em ups nowadays.

I also felt the same way playing Panzer Dragoon Remake last month. It was a solid game in a genre we barely see anymore: rail shooters. The last new amazing rail shooter I can think of in modern years is Kid Icarus: Uprising and that's already 8 years old.

So what genres would you like to see more of in the modern gaming landscape? Are some of your old favorites being neglected?

As a Shmup fan I'd like to see more games from that genre get some love.

Shmup games come out all the time, usually from indie devs, but none get any media attention unless there's some sort of controversy.

Nier Automata had Shmup elements to it and the genre has been highly experimental recently. I'd like a more well-known dev to try and revitalise the genre and put it in the public eye.

With the release of Streets of Rage 4 today and some interest in beat 'em up games being reignited after a long time away from the spotlight, I hope to see more games in the genre. The upcoming Battletoads looks promising but there isn't much in the way of classic beat 'em ups nowadays.

I also felt the same way playing Panzer Dragoon Remake last month. It was a solid game in a genre we barely see anymore: rail shooters. The last new amazing rail shooter I can think of in modern years is Kid Icarus: Uprising and that's already 8 years old.

So what genres would you like to see more of in the modern gaming landscape? Are some of your old favorites being neglected?

You should try Fight'N Rage. Basically Streets of Rage, it's excellent.

Point and click adventure games.
They were huge back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I'd really like to see a revival of the genre knowing that Telltale games is now out of business.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
1588489802195.png

Definitely the spaceflight sim. The old Wing Commander fan in me craves this sort of quiet exploration across multiple star systems, observing stellar phenomenons, hunting down pirates, and upgrading from ship to bigger ship to biggest ship. Surprisingly, it's not a genre tackled by a lot of publishers. While games like the X series, Elite: Dangerous, and (in a perpetually broken and unfinished, never to be released state) Star Citizen have pursued the genre, only Elite has really managed that feeling of a large, interconnected galaxy.

Elite has probably been doing it the longest and the best. No one has really matched them in terms of visuals, things to discover, and sheer scale. Heck, they were making games with seamless planetary landings back in 1993, which is insane to me.

Even if the game looked like this:

latest

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Bullet hell shooters, 2D side-scrolling beat 'em ups, point 'n' click adventure games, and I'd personally like to see more skateboarding games.

I loved Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games, and we don't have enough of them.... :(

Which is why I'm digging Skate XL, so far. Seems to be what I needed in a skate game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm on board w/ the rail shooters too, I put on sin & punishment some time ago, and playing it again made me realize how rail shooters just haven't been a thing lately at all, of course there's panzer dragoon and I heard they were gonna remake the next game as well, but I could think of nothing else beyond that....star fox zero?
it's an awful shame to think that not only have these series been on hiatus, but also their genre

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom