• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Underground areas in BotW 2

Robbie fan club
Rewatching the BotW sequel trailer, it looks like Zelda and Link are exploring some sort of cave. I get the feeling the overworld itself won't really change much geographically, so how would you feel if to try and keep that feeling of discovery and a sense of the unknown a large part of the exploration involved an underground network of passages/caves?

It's what I'm hoping for, in all honesty. Zelda has a track record for doing the parallel world thing, and they could easily spin it so that we're seeing beneath Hyrule rather than an alternate version of it. I'd also like if whatever led us to explore underground has caused a moderate amount of topographical changes to the overworld. I've cited Tanagar Canyon and the Forgotten Temple in passing before, when chatting about BotW2, as an example of what I'd like to see more of as far as what is seen on the surface, that could potentially lead below ground. Hyrules lowest point in BotW contained a temple, so it only makes sense to me that it was intentially constructed below ground (and therefore forgotten until the canyon exposed it), so what's not to say we'd see more such temples in BotW2 if we were to explore beneath the surface?

The way they would go about connecting the above and below ground would be the key here though. If done well it'd be a great way for them to keep the world the same, while still having a significant proportion of it be new, and also have the existing world be altered in ways that would make the old fresh and still exciting to explore. BotW severely lacked underground sections and and caves at all, so I do hope what we saw in the trailer wasn't just like a very isolated thing. I would love to see more cryptic underground passages with the weight of existence on me the entire time.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
It makes so much sense to me and I really want to see it.

BotW drew heavily from Zelda 1, so if BotW2 draws heavily from Zelda 1 as well, it would make sense for them do to a BotW version of the underground, where there's set entrances in the overworld to enter it.

Can't wait to find out! :whistle:

I'd quite like it if Hyrule was split and separated.

That way the regions could be better themed and the shifting of the landscapes could radically change terrain.

Entrances to underground caverns could open up and that's where we could find dungeons.

We could also have a proper sailing mechanic on the water like Wind Waker instead of faffing around with Korok leaves.

We could have tides and fjords between the regions with different areas being accessible at different times of the day or lunar cycle.

The castle rising up in the trailer could mean anything. A tower could be beneath it or it may just float like in the concept art. If it ends up being like the concept art then it'd be possible for massive parts of the land to break away.

I think this would be a great way of reusing yet wholly redesigning the whole world.

Also bring in the Zonai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom