• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Under-appreciated Space Sci-Fi Movies

So, the people who know me here will know that I'm a space girl, I love space sci-fi both in video games like Metroid and movies like Alien...

Recently I've been on a bit of a space sci-fi kick (probably stared after i saw Prometheus) and so I'm wondering, with all of the mainstream classics out there, are there any Space Sci-fi movies that you think are under-appreciated?

I have two...

The first being Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine' (2007) and the second being 'Pandorum' (Christian Alvart, 2009)

I think both movies are very different but equally under appreciated. By under appreciated, i don't mean they had limited release or are rare, since i remember both of the mentioned movies being advertised to grim bugger, I mean in the sense that no one seems to like them or that their fan base is relatively small and that their presence isn't felt within the sci-fi community.

For me Sunshine was a wonderful slow burner that romanticised space travel and character relationships to the extent of true beauty, the music, acting and writing was so poetic and wonderfully realised that i'm surprised to see that this film isn't revered as the first step in a new sub-genre of space sci-fi.

Pandorum on the other hand is just an average horror-space movie that didn't have the luxury of being able to include aliens. It really is living under the shadow of the legends but at the same time, the themes are quite dark, the twist is quite clever and the direction is top notch, there is nothing wrong with the writing and the acting is tight and Antje Traue is bloody gorgeous... But amazingly this film has cult status becuase of the surprisingly small number who seem to like it.

So, any other space sci-fi fans out there who like some films that no one else seems to?
Do you like the two i've mentioned? Do you agree?

thoughts and posts and fun please. :D

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
Apollo 13. Everyone else I know thought it was stupid, and the whole crappy camera thing was annoying, but besides that I thought it was terrifying. The whole flashing scene where the astronaut goes into the crater was crazy.

Dunno if its under appreciated...cause its AWESOME but star ship troopers is...well awesome ;)

The day the earth stood still...actual amazing film

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom