• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Under Appreciated or Obscure Games

CoD is definitely under-appreciated...people pan it simply because it's popular; Zelda was once like this, you know. I mean, yes, the series is very uniform between releases, but people are *****ing about the series when their beloved Zelda does the exact same thing! The difference is that COD sells like hotcakes and Zelda procures a menial 3 million or so. (seriously, CoDBO2 360 Y2D is 12 million units -- the PS3 version is 10 million units)

I think really my only problem with CoD is that it seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It also started making too many game companies focus on trying to emulate the style and not really focus on refining their own engines to make something unique. But I think this discussion would probably be fit for another thread.

Din Akera

Sniper
I skimmed the thread to see if anyone mentioned it, I kept hoping but no one did, so I have to raise my voice. Chameleon Twist.

Lots of people have heard of it, or played the second one. Very few people I have talked to have actually played the first one. I loved it. When i had my N64 (back when it was new, lol) I rented it from the movie store (yeah, back when you could still do that. I'm dating myself arn't I?) Anyway. I spent hours upon hours playing that game. I constantly renewed it, I basically had a lock on that game. I now have my own copy and treasure it.

I'm not sure what it was about the game that grabbed me so much. But it was an adventure, fantasy, and a all around great time. It was inventive in weapons and area themes. There was a simple but interesting story, and a heck of a lot of fun!

Loved it. You should try it if you haven't.

I've updated the front page with a table of contents in case of any new people popping in, just in case! Hopefully we can get a nice little library going and encourage people to try out new and interesting games to come or that they might not have had the chance to try in the past. :)

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

I never hear this one talked about, and while it isn't perfect it's still pretty fun to play. My favorite part of the game was the soundrack and graphics. The game featured an interesting choice in music that made the player feel adventurous and the graphics were gorgeous (even for the GCN). The combat was a little off and blah blah blah, but it was still fun to play.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I also think that Sonic Heroes is underrated I don't know why people hate it so much it's pretty much the adventure games except you play as 3 people instead of 1.

Eh, it was more like a combination of the classic and Adventure games. There were multiple quests, but there weren't any levels that revolved around drastically different mechanics. Different levels had different themes and gimmicks, but they were all pretty much straight shots to the finish line.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
I skimmed the thread to see if anyone mentioned it, I kept hoping but no one did, so I have to raise my voice. Chameleon Twist.

Lots of people have heard of it, or played the second one. Very few people I have talked to have actually played the first one. I loved it. When i had my N64 (back when it was new, lol) I rented it from the movie store (yeah, back when you could still do that. I'm dating myself arn't I?) Anyway. I spent hours upon hours playing that game. I constantly renewed it, I basically had a lock on that game. I now have my own copy and treasure it.

I'm not sure what it was about the game that grabbed me so much. But it was an adventure, fantasy, and a all around great time. It was inventive in weapons and area themes. There was a simple but interesting story, and a heck of a lot of fun!

Loved it. You should try it if you haven't.

You know, it's really funny that I see this now because aaallllll morning I was trying to think of Chameleon Twist 2 from my childhood.

ILU

i luv u
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

I never hear this one talked about, and while it isn't perfect it's still pretty fun to play. My favorite part of the game was the soundrack and graphics. The game featured an interesting choice in music that made the player feel adventurous and the graphics were gorgeous (even for the GCN). The combat was a little off and blah blah blah, but it was still fun to play.

I love that game! I was always lucky enough to have somebody to play it with. I had a Selkie. I also loved the one for DS (Ring of Fates?) because it was so similar.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
HOW COULD I forget about Bomberman 64: The Second Attack? Gosh that game is madly obscure. No one even knows it exists, let alone the Bomberman series. I don't remember any reviews coming out for it at all; all I remember is that the game is really fun especially with the varieties of Pommy you can create. Kings and Knights is my favorite mode. And, of course, elemental bombs. ;)

Dan

HOW COULD I forget about Bomberman 64: The Second Attack? Gosh that game is madly obscure. No one even knows it exists, let alone the Bomberman series. I don't remember any reviews coming out for it at all; all I remember is that the game is really fun especially with the varieties of Pommy you can create. Kings and Knights is my favorite mode. And, of course, elemental bombs. ;)

Van major Bomberman fan here, I own two copies of mega Bomberman for the sega Megadrive, and Bomberman on both Gamecube and wii. I've played the snes games as well. I really want to play the sega saturn version often regarded as the best version. But yeah Bomberman is a great game to play with ze friends.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Simpsons Hit and Run... I'm not sure if this was overall under appreciated as such but I see that it never gets mentioned when people reminisce about the "PS2 days". I generally feel this was a great game, it was kind of like a tame GTA style Simpson world, from a big Simpsons fan at that time I loved this game and the world felt quite realistic in terms to the actual cartoon series. It had a variety of stages and level sets, you would start off within a specific area in Springfield and as you complete a certain amount of levels you can advance onto a new section of the world with a new character.

The game kept the Simpsons humour, it had great graphics that similar to the series and the voice acting was also topnotch. I loved the little easter eggs and references here and there and the story felt great, like I was playing an episode from the Simpsons. One more thing was probably the challenge, one could skip missions however the true challenge came from completing the missions and completing all the side quests/races and collecting all of the cars etc. (which I should mention where cool). Great game overall and one of the best on the PS2 in my opinion.

Well, there is a horror series called Obscure...

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the wii i think is under appreciated and largely unplayed by the gaming masses which is a darn shame.

This is actually, quite literally, my favorite Bomberman game. And it's up there with my favorite games of all time. :) It's a nice spin on a classic formula and it just works! Especially since it's actually co-op too!

Well, there is a horror series called Obscure...

I could chalk that up to being a pun. The series is actually pretty obscure even though it's literally a teen horror movie with some interesting co-op and silly dialogue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom