• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Un-sequel-able games?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Which games do you consider, tricky word ahead, un-sequel-able? Games that feels like it would be impossible, unadvisable or just unnecessary to make a sequel to, for one reason or another. Maybe games that doesn't need a continuation to their stories, games that are good enough on their own, or just games that feel perfect, a franchise that has reached peak.

We're not talking spinoffs here, or making a sequel that would be a drastic change/overhaul. A straight-up sequel, building on what came before it.

Maybe some examples are required: I have a hard time imagining a sequel to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The next game would require some kind of sidestep or overhaul for sure. How could you reiterate, improve and expand on a game that's essentially 'Ultimate'? I'm sure there's a way, but personally I just feel like that franchise has reached peak. I thought The Last of Us really didn't need a sequel since it was such a perfectly self-contained story, to the point that a sequel would make that game's ending obsolete. (But here we are, and Part II looks pretty good)

I have a similar opinion about Mario Kart 9. I found MK8DX to be damn near perfect. I'd rather see them doing a Nintendo Kart, or some kind of campaign spinoff, like they did with Octo Expansion for Splatoon.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Pandora's Tower
this game has a self contained story and location that I just can't imagine how a sequel would work, especially since there's multiple endings [unless we wanna take ending S as the canon one], maybe a prequel could work to show off more of the history of the Thirteen Towers? I just feel any follow up would need to heavily involve the Thirteen Towers in some way, which kinda sucks b/c I was really intrigued w/ what was going w/ the countries surrounding the towers
then again you can look at Ys in that aside the first two games and origins, the series basically does not involve Ys the land at all, yet the series is still called Ys

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Majoras mask.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a sequel exploring the hero of time and his transformation into the hero’s shade, but I don’t want a new game with the three day mechanic. Part of what makes MM so special is it’s uniqueness and I think that doing another three day mechanic would ruin this nearly flawless game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I would have considered the original Bioshock a game that didn't need a sequel. It was a well told, self-contained story that tied up all its loose ends, but then they went and made a sequel.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
For me, I feel like Skies of Arcadia is a game like this. With the way the story went, and how it was all wrapped up nicely in the end, it would've been very hard to imagine a sequel being made (as much as some people wanted one). In some ways I'm glad this was the case, since there's no way a sequel could've lived up to how amazing SoA was.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I really wish the Last of Us wasn't getting a sequel. I thought the game gave enough of what we needed to see at its ending, and it feels sort of weird that they're continuing on.

Hyper Light Drifter and a couple of other indie titles fit this pretty well too. Owl Boy, a couple others, but I think those games are mostly made to be self-contained and just tell one story before the developers move on to a different project anyway.

I really wish the Last of Us wasn't getting a sequel. I thought the game gave enough of what we needed to see at its ending, and it feels sort of weird that they're continuing on.

Hyper Light Drifter and a couple of other indie titles fit this pretty well too. Owl Boy, a couple others, but I think those games are mostly made to be self-contained and just tell one story before the developers move on to a different project anyway.

I agree that Hyper Light Drifter shouldn't get one. But I think it is.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I agree that Hyper Light Drifter shouldn't get one. But I think it is.

Interesting. We'll see if I feel the same way after it, if I decide to pick it up, I guess. I really liked the story telling in the original, and I feel like a follow-up to that world is unneeded.

Anything by Fumito Ueda/Team Ico(Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian). The stories of his games are self-contained, and the characters in them aren't the type to involve themselves elsewhere. Depending on certain interpretations of his works, they are made even less "sequelable".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom