• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon... Already Hate It

Let me frank and say I was not looking forward to Ultimate Spider-Man when it was announced. The Spectacular Spider-Man was already proving to be the Spider-Man cartoon I've waited for. Season 2 left me with so much more, so much wanting and... cancellation. Why? Ratings? Bad rep? Nope, Sony had a choice of either movie rights or television rights and they choose to keep the movie rights. So, does Disney decide to renew the show they have completely under their control? Nope, they made Ultimate Spider-Man with Drake Bell as Spider-Man.

I'm gonna repeat that again...

Drake Bell as Spider-Man?!

I've mentioned this show before but I need to make it clear to everyone. The Spectacular Spider-Man is, hands down, no argument, the BEST Spider-Man cartoon. No lame censorship, no recycling animation 50% of the time, no need for non-Spider-Man Marvel characters to make guest appearances, it is a near perfect show. Even if you don't like Spider-Man, you should watch it. If you say you don't care or don't like Spectacular, then you don't deserve the right to complain about One More Day.

A perfectly cast Josh Keaton as Spider-Man with funny jokes, Sand Man appeared in more than just one episode, every character and villain backstory felt linked, Electro was cool again, reimagining elements of the Ditko era, combining elements from all previous incarnations of Spider-Man to fit into a story that is both original as well as pays homage to everything Spider-Man. Characters you hadn't seen recurring in a Spider-Man cartoon like Molten Man, George Stacy, Betty Brant, Sally Avril, and, to show how much Greg Weisman showed respect for the source material, Gwen Stacy.

And then came the Season 2 finale, Final Curtain. But what do I get besides a third season? A NEW show. Do you know why I was bitter about a new show? Because WE DIDN'T NEED ONE!

BUT now that I've seen Ultimate Spider-Man's first two episodes... while it wasn't as awful as I thought... it still sucked. Everything I felt Spectacular got right in the first two episodes GONE. Drake Bell is whiny and annoying as Spider-Man, the animation isn't as fluid and it has a ton of bad jokes and the jokes that COULD be funny are ruined by visualization worthy of lame Family Guy gags, and the costume changes to the arms AND the SpiderCycle AND Spider-Man is working with SHIELD?!?

Excuse me, I got to bash my head on the keyboard.

uy7hyghtytyh7ytgfrrfhyrfdsferghyijkuugrfghtyjyuhyhtt5r4ty6iuu56 3e4wdseghybtjkiml

I only remember two funny moments out of the two episodes combined. They were both Flash Thompson moments.

I went online and found the show to be a mixed bag, IGN giving it a 6 out of 10, a score they didn't give 1 single episode of Specatular Spider-Man. If it turns out you do enjoy stuff like the Spider Cycle or that really stupid "Spider-Man sits next to me in Spanish class" joke ruined by the imagery or the unneeded fourth wall breaking that Deadpool would probably kill Peter Parker for, then maybe you'll tolerate it more than me.

I really feel like this show is Marvel's answer to Batman: The Brave and The Bold by focusing on Spider-Man teaming up with other heroes. Except in that show, which was lighter because it was inspired by the Silver Age, an underrated era of comics, Batman still remained the brooding, serious minded individual he's known as despite being a bit snarkier and still maintained the important elements of Batman. Here though? It just tosses aside elements that previous Spider-Man in favor or a whiny, reckless rookie who knows little about responsibility as a superhero... despite that element of his personality as well as learning on his own are major themes of Spider-Man. For Marvel's first Spidery cartoon completely made by them... I'd say give it back to Vic Cook and Greg Weisman.

PS Amazing Spider-Man's gonna suck too.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA! Spectacular Spider-kid? THE Spider-Man cartoon? I don't think so. That goes to Spider-Man The Animated Series. Spectacular Spider-Man looked really horrible. Great animation, good cast, and a really great story, but damn! That sh*t was whack. Ultimate Spider-Man has the superior animation here. But it falls short in so many places. Spider-Man's voice is so damn whiny and the whole premise sucks. Marvel has overdone it with the whole Fury and SHIELD stuff lately... It's unnecessary, especially in a Spider-Man cartoon. It's like Ultimate Spider-Man and Spectacular should of swapped writers and animators/designers. I'm especially disappointed in Paul Dini. He's done such great work before. As a show, Ultimate isn't that bad. It looks great and it's entertaining, so I guess I could keep watching it...but it's very disappointing because it had so much potential.

Um... no.
Look, 90's Spider-Man was great... for its time. However, it hasn't aged well with outdated animation, as well recycled animation, including rather lame censorship. That's not to say I don't enjoy it anymore, but I don't think it deserves that spot anymore. (ALSO, don't forget it was MY opinion)
The Spectacular Spider-Man went with a more stylized look so they can get away with much more fluid animation in both fight scenes and web swinging. Tell me the web swinging parts with the angles moving on the spot doesn't look even the least bit impressive... AND without CGI backgrounds. This nitpicking is the same as with The Wind Waker. The animation and look of Ultimate is okay... BUT it doesn't stand out or look as eye catching.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Um... no.
Look, 90's Spider-Man was great... for its time. However, it hasn't aged well with outdated animation, as well recycled animation, including rather lame censorship. That's not to say I don't enjoy it anymore, but I don't think it deserves that spot anymore. (ALSO, don't forget it was MY opinion)
The Spectacular Spider-Man went with a more stylized look so they can get away with much more fluid animation in both fight scenes and web swinging. Tell me the web swinging parts with the angles moving on the spot doesn't look even the least bit impressive... AND without CGI backgrounds. This nitpicking is the same as with The Wind Waker. The animation and look of Ultimate is okay... BUT it doesn't stand out or look as eye catching.

What? That's like saying Batman The Animated Series isn't "THE" Batman show and that it belongs to The Batman... Spectacular Spider-Man's stylized animation is hot garbage. It's not even appealing. When you're watching a cartoon about superheroes, they better damn well look like superheroes and not some lame excuse of one. The villains weren't menacing, everyone looked kiddish and some people even looked like they had a tire burn rubber on their foreheads. It's like women, you are pulled in by attraction which Spectacular fails at. You don't go in because you want to "get to know it". If you want to talk about animation, then Ultimate would be the better one in that department. WTF was up with Eddie Brock? Goku let himself go or something? (can't believe I just made a reference to garbage...)

Spectacular only stands out because of it's horrible designs. Yeah, the animation was better. You're talking about a show that came out in 2008 compared to one that came out in the 1994. But that doesn't make it a superior show.

Last edited:
What? That's like saying Batman The Animated Series isn't "THE" Batman show and that it belongs to The Batman... Spectacular Spider-Man's stylized animation is hot garbage. It's not even appealing. When you're watching a cartoon about superheroes, they better damn well look like superheroes and not some lame excuse of one. The villains weren't menacing, everyone looked kiddish and some people even looked like they had a tire burn rubber on their foreheads. It's like women, you are pulled in by attraction which Spectacular fails at. You don't go in because you want to "get to know it". If you want to talk about animation, then Ultimate would be the better one in that department. WTF was up with Eddie Brock? Goku let himself go or something? (can't believe I just made a reference to garbage...)

Spectacular only stands out because of it's horrible designs. Yeah, the animation was better. You're talking about a show that came out in 2008 compared to one that came out in the 1994. But that doesn't make it a superior show.

*sigh* You're not understanding what I'm meaning and besides animation alone does not make a cartoon.

Just drop it.

Pfft... I understand clearly. And yes, I just said that... You're just giving up.

No you're not, your making the same complaint people have against The Wind Waker or Transformers Animated. It is a very weak complaint and a weak reason to bash it.
I'm not dropping this conversation with you because I'm losing, but because it is going nowhere and it will keep going nowhere. So just stop it, nobody wins.
Besides, this topic is about people's reaction to Ultimate Spider-Man. Stop commenting and let this topic be what it is about.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No you're not, your making the same complaint people have against The Wind Waker or Transformers Animated. It is a very weak complaint and a weak reason to bash it.
I'm not dropping this conversation with you because I'm losing, but because it is going nowhere and it will keep going nowhere. So just stop it, nobody wins.
Besides, this topic is about people's reaction to Ultimate Spider-Man. Stop commenting and let this topic be what it is about.

It's not weak. You just want to say it is. Wind Waker looked like a toon and acted like a toon. Spectacular Spider-Man took something that already existed and raped it, visually. It's a Spider-Man show, it's trying to be taken serious and it can't be taken serious because it looks horrible. It's a cartoon, one of the most important parts is how it's going to look. It's what attracts you. And if I'm not attracted, then what the hell is the point? Spider-Man of the 90s had a comic book look and played out like one. It didn't look goofy and tried to be serious.You said it yourself, they sacrificed detail for fluid animation. Something Ultimate has no problem with. Spider-Man TAS is the most complete Spider-Man cartoon, with great story telling, and a look that brings the comic books to life.

spiderman_parker_150.gif

Is it just me, or does Spider-Kid look familiar?

4335904_std.jpg

Don't tell me what the thread is about as you clearly didn't make it about a reaction. Don't go spewing out how another Spider-Man show was better and how others sucked and expect for everyone to agree with you. You set yourself up for disagreement.

It's not weak. You just want to say it is. Wind Waker looked like a toon and acted like a toon. Spectacular Spider-Man took something that already existed and raped it, visually. It's a Spider-Man show, it's trying to be taken serious and it can't be taken serious because it looks horrible. It's a cartoon, one of the most important parts is how it's going to look. It's what attracts you. And if I'm not attracted, then what the hell is the point? Spider-Man of the 90s had a comic book look and played out like one. It didn't look goofy and tried to be serious.You said it yourself, they sacrificed detail for fluid animation. Something Ultimate has no problem with. Spider-Man TAS is the most complete Spider-Man cartoon, with great story telling, and a look that brings the comic books to life.

spiderman_parker_150.gif

Is it just me, or does Spider-Kid look familiar?

4335904_std.jpg

Don't tell me what the thread is about as you clearly didn't make it about a reaction. Don't go spewing out how another Spider-Man show was better and how others sucked and expect for everyone to agree with you. You set yourself up for disagreement.

You're proving my point about why this needs to stop. You're the one being very opinionated here, PLEASE stop talking about it. Your "point" isn't getting across so please stop it because it is really starting to annoy me.

Furthermore, the look alone doesn't make a cartoon strong, its what's IN the cartoon, namely writing and voice acting.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
You're proving my point about why this needs to stop. You're the one being very opinionated here, PLEASE stop talking about it. Your "point" isn't getting across so please stop it because it is really starting to annoy me.

Furthermore, the look alone doesn't make a cartoon strong, its what's IN the cartoon, namely writing and voice acting.

It's not my fault you're not understanding. I've even made analogies to make it easier, but you're still not comprehending it... Plus, you did this to yourself, so don't think you can just tell me to stop.

Don't act like it's just a cartoon. It's much more than that. This isn't like Phineas and Ferb or Looney Tunes. It's a cartoon based off of Spider-Man. The look matters very much. If you don't enjoy staring at something, why would you be interested in the rest? If it was trying to be cartoony, then I wouldn't mind the cartoony look. But that isn't the case is it?

Spider-Man TAS had good writing and a good cast...what's your point?

You shouldn't be letting any of this annoy you. This is the internet... If you can't handle being on it, then you might as well not use it.

It's not my fault you're not understanding. I've even made analogies to make it easier, but you're still not comprehending it... Plus, you did this to yourself, so don't think you can just tell me to stop.

Don't act like it's just a cartoon. It's much more than that. This isn't like Phineas and Ferb or Looney Tunes. It's a cartoon based off of Spider-Man. The look matters very much. If you don't enjoy staring at something, why would you be interested in the rest? If it was trying to be cartoony, then I wouldn't mind the cartoony look. But that isn't the case is it?

Spider-Man TAS had good writing and a good cast...what's your point?

You shouldn't be letting any of this annoy you. This is the internet... If you can't handle being on it, then you might as well not use it.

I'm asking you one last time... STOP.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm asking you one last time... STOP.

Or what? Is that supposed to be a threat? You can't tell me to stop. This thread wasn't simply about a reaction to a TV show, as one can clearly see talk about other incarnations of it and even a movie. What's your problem? Are you trying to force it down my throat that Spectacular is superior? All I did was simply give my stance on the matter and you decided to respond to it. Therefore, starting the argument. Deal with it.

It's Ultimate Spider-man?
They need to kill him then.
Course, it's a cartoon, so...

They did... in the comics.
In fact, that's something else that upsets me, if this is supposed to follow the ULTIMATE comics then why are they doing this with a team of heroes?

Strangelove

Somewhere
I know. I was saying they need to kill him to line it up with the comics because of Miles Morales. They also need names which don't have a meaning. Just one John Smith who is actually famous. Just once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom