• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Ugly" or "Gross-Sounding" Words

What do you find are the "ugliest" or "grossest-sounding" words in the English language (or whatever your preferred language is)? Words that are just downright annoying and/or displeasing to hear/say.

Some of mine are:

1. Luggage;
  2. Moist;
  3. Grits;
  4. Meal*;
  5. Slum;
  6. Ointment;
  7. Pus;
  8. Funky;
  9. Smelt;
  10. Keen.

* I used to see this one all the time whenever I had to punch out for my lunch break back when I worked at Kmart. Damn near wanted to put in my two-week notice because of it. lol

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Since getting interested in linguistics and becoming Linguistically Enlightened, my attitude about making aesthetic judgments on how certain languages or words sound has changed considerably.

That said, "snogging", a British English term referring to making out/amorous kissing might be the word I dislike the most when it comes to sound. Sounds like something from Tolkien's Black Speech.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Everything sounds displeasing in the Scouse accent I must say, but in terms of words that are horrible in general there are:

Keen
Reem
Memes
Tripe
Kek
Ulcer
Minge
Curdle
Sick

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Since getting interested in linguistics and becoming Linguistically Enlightened, my attitude about making aesthetic judgments on how certain languages or words sound has changed considerably.

That said, "snogging", a British English term referring to making out/amorous kissing might be the word I dislike the most when it comes to sound. Sounds like something from Tolkien's Black Speech.
I'm not sure what you mean. What is wrong with thinking a word sounds gross? There's nothing you can do to control how your brain reacts to a sound. I mean, you're literally defending a word here. An inanimate concept (not even an object). I'm sure the word "moist" is going to be okay if I say it sounds gross(it does). What if a word I made was communicated by scratching a nail on a chalkboard? Is everyone supposed to be respect that and not judge the sound? What is your "attitude" on making linguistic judgments? I fail to see anything wrong with it. Literally who cares?

Batman

I'm not sure what you mean. What is wrong with thinking a word sounds gross? There's nothing you can do to control how your brain reacts to a sound. I mean, you're literally defending a word here. An inanimate concept (not even an object). I'm sure the word "moist" is going to be okay if I say it sounds gross(it does). What if a word I made was communicated by scratching a nail on a chalkboard? Is everyone supposed to be respect that and not judge the sound? What is your "attitude" on making linguistic judgments? I fail to see anything wrong with it. Literally who cares?

I didn't say or imply it's not okay to find a word ugly - on the contrary, I think it's perfectly natural and okay. I mean that my understanding of linguistics has changed how I think about the phonetic properties of words, changing how I aesthetically evaluate words. It so happens that words I previously would have considered ugly are nowadays just as phonetically interesting to me as words I find pretty or indifferent, and that affects my emotional responses to them. Hence my attitude about how words sound has changed for me personally and I find far fewer things "ugly".

Then I went on to mention a word I still find ugly lol. So your entire concern about what I said is irrelevant as these are positions I don' t hold, but sorry if I confused you.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Then I went on to mention a word I still find ugly lol. So your entire concern about what I said is irrelevant as these are positions I don' t hold, but sorry if I confused you.
I assumed you were sort of saying "well, if I had to pick one, I'd pick x word, but I think it's wrong to do so", or something. I understand what you mean now though.

Batman

I assumed you were sort of saying "well, if I had to pick one, I'd pick x word, but I think it's wrong to do so", or something. I understand what you mean now though.
Right. I definitely don't think there's anything "wrong" with finding a word ugly, whatsoever. Feeling otherwise would be quite silly. It'd be like someone saying that there's something "wrong" with finding the note C# being played on a saxophone ugly. I'm just saying that if you learn to play saxophone and learn about saxophone music and saxophone culture, your attitude might change on how you aesthetically evaluate C# on the saxophone.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In my country it is the word Vak (subject) because it is EXACTLY the same pronounced as your famous F word.
And in my language the word STRONT is so gross. It means poop. But it is the less polite way to say it. But damn, the way it is pronounced....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom