• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Ugly" or "Gross-Sounding" Words

To me, a word is a word, and should they have a specific way or two to pronounce them, then I would usually accept that without a second thought or hesitation. Rather, it is the incorrect pronunciation that irks me.

I, as a Japanese-speaker, find many of the "modern (or weaboo)" terms derived from Japanese words such as "kawaii" and "baka" to be both, phonetically and semantically intolerable. I am aware that while Japanese may not be the first language of the people who use these terms, it just does not sound as if they are trying at all. Furthermore, I cannot help but have the urge to tear off my kitchen sink whenever they are used with the incorrectly corrupted meanings that the Western societal media has given them.

I also find the way most of the mainlanders pronounce "ukulele" to be very deplourable, but I am aware that I may be having an objective view due to my cultural background. Regardless, I (and many other Hawaiians) associate the "youkalaylay" pronunciation to the Haoles who have little to no knowledge and respect for Hawaii. As for "Hawaii", we would prefer "Ha-wa-ee" over "Huhwayee". Otherwise, they just sound as if they are instigating a beef.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
That said, "snogging", a British English term referring to making out/amorous kissing might be the word I dislike the most when it comes to sound.

I hate that word too, luckily nobody really says it anymore, god bless America ;) Idk what it is about that word but it makes me cringe so much so I'm glad you said it too

I also hate:
  • moist - just sounds nasty
  • gash - similar reasons
  • slit :S
  • Sludge :(
  • Muck (insert the ZD vomit emote, can't remember the code for it)
  • Mucus :'(
These are words that don't gross me out but they just instantly annoy me when I hear them:

• Wattless- idk if this is even a real word and it's quite recent for me but I hate this word, it means stupid or dim but I just hate the way it sounds
  • Bae - just ****ing stop now ok
There's bound to be more but I can't think right now

Anyway, there has been a study into why people react to certain words with disgust: http://mentalfloss.com/article/64984/science-behind-why-people-hate-word-moist.

In a further move that makes this post even more ridiculous to read, these are words where some versions of the pronounciation annoys me even though it's not wrong and I'm just nitpicking:

• Apricot when pronounced like ah-pricot instead of ay-pricot. Idk why cause/ tomayto/tomahto doesn't bother me at all. Although, this doesn't annoy me when it's due to a native pronunciation of a word, like most Americans would say (probably in my experience) ah-pricot. But I hate when English people emulate it, it just sounds dumb.
  • Anytime there's someone who pronounces words like 'year' 'here' etc like 'yee-ah' and 'hee-ah'. This is a p much unique thing to certain British accents but it makes me so mad because it sounds so stupid
  • Aluminium. I hate the American version. I'm sorry but I just do.
  • Westminster. THERE IS NO SECOND I. IT IS NOT WESTMINISTER. It's Westminster. Get it right. :ananger:
And then there worst one of them all.

SUBMARINE. We all live in a yellow SUBmarine a yellow SUBmarine a yellow SUBmarine. Not a ****ing sumbarine.

Last edited:

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
There aren't too many words that I dislike the sound alone of, but I physically cringe whenever I see the word "m8" or any variation of word with "8" in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom