• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Types of Dungeons

What kinds of dungeons would you like to see in Zelda Wii U (like Forest, Fire, Water, etc...). I would honestly like to see completely new themes to the dungeons, and have multiple themes in some of them. Sure I would like to see a couple of traditional dungeons (I would want an Ice dungeon, and a wind one), but the other dungeons could be totally new and unique. I think having new dungeon themes and ideas would help the Zelda series, and that game a lot.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want to see a legitimate graveyard for a dungeon, I want ice, sound, and totally other dungeon themes. But, I also want to see puzzle heavy and combat heavy dungeons, not just "ohh here's XYZ themed" dungeon. Oh, and make the dungeon design vary; perhaps we could have tons of slopes, flat planes, etc?

Salem

SICK
Maybe make a mixture of themes that were never mixed before? Like mix shadow/darkness with.... Fire or Water? Hell make a Fire-Water combo dungeon.

DarkLink17

Well then
Maybe something like the Traditional Dungeons in the Overworld, but they could have counterpart Dungeons in the Dark World with differing themes and whatnot. So it's twice the Dungeons with twice the variety.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I personally would like to see a Light temple and I'd also like to see the Spirit and Shadow Temples again. I've always thought it would be cool to have ghost-type enemies in the spirit temple or to incorporate spirits in ways other than just the name.

I've always wanted to see a Weather dungeon and more dungeons with meshed themes like the Ancient Cistern. Also, I thought it would've been awesome to have the school in SS be a dungeon...so maybe they'll try something like that. I just hope that they aren't ridiculously straightforward like some dungeons in the past :/

I'd like to see something like the Skull Woods dungeon from A Link to the Past, where the dungeon is effectively integrated into the overworld. Skull Woods did it to a small degree with having to go in and out of the dungeon, creating a maze-like environment, and having to maneuver around the overworld obstacles. I'd like to see them take that same concept a step forward for a 3D Zelda, and really make the dungeon and overworld an "interlocking" and codependent environment.

One possible scenario/theme could be an overrun town that has been taken over by enemies, and the "dungeon" essentially becomes the town itself and/or an underground component created by the enemy which interacts with the buildings and townfolk above. The dungeon would require transport up to the buildings within the town through ladders/elevators (whatever the mechanism may be) that open up from trapdoors into different areas. You interact with the townfolk while you move through the dungeon (they may provide you hints, allow you to purchase items, etc.), and some of the buildings may be "open" to allow you out into the main overworld while other buildings may be locked. You have to figure out when and where to move up into the town in order to get to different areas of the underground component of the dungeon.

The key to this idea is that you could actually leave the dungeon/town area and move into the rest of the overworld whenever you found yourself in the town,even if you had not completed the dungeon yet and come back to it when you wish. You can obviously leave dungeons when you wish in other Zelda games, but sometimes the game does not progress until the dungeon is completed and the fact that this type of dungeon wouldn't be constrained entirely by walls would make it feel much more integrated with the overworld and may not even feel like a classical dungeon. I think this would really promote and support the idea of a less linear overworld and story flow that many Zelda fans are now asking for in a 3D Zelda game.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I want Zelda U to explore new ideas with everything, including dungeons. No more of the typical Forest-Fire-Water combination that has been a recurring theme in the series. Zelda U should do like Majora's Mask, and give us unique, long, and challenging dungeons. Maybe include more than said game did, but maintain the superb design and difficulty of the dungeons that MM has. This is pretty much ideal for a game that Nintendo wants to explore new ideas with.

How about a burried city where monsters have made a home and it's filled with stalfos and redeads. I think that would make for a cool theme.

JoeDeLait

Zig Zag Wanderer
How about a dungeon that's like a prison? So Link gets locked up and has to escape, all the enemies are guards or pets of guards(?) and there are no normal enemies like bokoblins and keese.
Or possibly a deserted village, a ghost town. If the Hidden Village from TP was a dungeon and a bit bigger and each time you're inside a building you can hear something creeping around outside.

Salem

SICK
How about a dungeon that's like a prison? So Link gets locked up and has to escape, all the enemies are guards or pets of guards(?) and there are no normal enemies like bokoblins and keese.
Ahhh, forsaken fortress?

Hyrule castle when you were a wolf in the beginning was sort of like that.

Or possibly a deserted village, a ghost town. If the Hidden Village from TP was a dungeon and a bit bigger and each time you're inside a building you can hear something creeping around outside.
Ok that's a good idea.:yes:

Dungeons with more than one theme. Kinda like Ancient Cistern in SS, which I thought did a pretty good job with that. I also would like to see dungeons we haven't seen before.

I think that Skyward Sword overall did a great job with interesting dungeon themes that matched their environments. That being said, I felt there was a bit too much overlap between the two desert and two fire dungeons. Based on the themes, however, Skyward Sword probably went the furthest to making interesting dungeon themes that didn't feel like gimmicks. I hope they continue on that path.

One other mild criticism - I felt Skyward Sword lacked as far as dungeons was a truly creepy dungeon. The underworld portion of Ancient Cistern was sort of the right idea, but it wasn't very extensive. I would like to see a full-scale creepy/unsettling dungeon in Zelda WiiU, personally.

Mono-typed dungeons in the traditional style can be great, but I think dungeons truly shine when they have some kind of twist or unexpected element that comes as a fun surprise.

The Skull Woods from ALttP, a full dungeon integrated into the overworld, was a great idea that should return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom