• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TWW - Is Daphnes dead or not?

After re-beating TWW, something crossed my mind. Is King Daphnes Hyrule dead the whole time? I mean, he is a king of an ancient land from ancient times, so why wouldn't he be dead? He can be seen teleporting around the master sword room, but is this just a teleporting ability, or is he a ghost?

If he is NOT dead, then are we to assume that he dies in the ending?

Or does he not die at all either way? In the game's ending post-credits, Link is setting off on the new journey while riding the King Of Red Lions. Is Daphnes using the king of red lions as a vessel at this point, or is it now an empty vessel completely? (Is the king of red lions seen in PH? I can't remember if he is or not...)

In the game's ending, Zelda says to Daphnes "you can come with us", does she mean as Daphnes himself, or as the king of red lions? Either way, Daphnes refuses as he stays behind, yet in the post-credits we see Link riding the king of red lions as mentioned.

So yeah, is Daphnes dead or not? And if not, did he die in the end or not? I'm not sure if this is even open to theory, or if it is an obvious answer that I'm missing?

I think he probably is dead and is just a restless spirit. The KORL was always just a boat, the king just happened to possess it for a time. His choosing to stay behind can be seen as his time/role in this world being over and it is time for the new generations (Link and the others) to forge their own paths in shaping this new world, which they start doing at the end by going off and eventually founding New Hyrule. Also, you could argue that he chose to remain there to keep watch and maybe even try to prevent Ganondorf's eventual resurrection.

I think he probably is dead and is just a restless spirit. The KORL was always just a boat, the king just happened to possess it for a time. His choosing to stay behind can be seen as his time/role in this world being over and it is time for the new generations (Link and the others) to forge their own paths in shaping this new world, which they start doing at the end by going off and eventually founding New Hyrule. Also, you could argue that he chose to remain there to keep watch and maybe even try to prevent Ganondorf's eventual resurrection.

So you believe that the KORL in the post-credits scene is no longer possessed by Daphnes then?

After re-beating TWW, something crossed my mind. Is King Daphnes Hyrule dead the whole time? I mean, he is a king of an ancient land from ancient times, so why wouldn't he be dead? He can be seen teleporting around the master sword room, but is this just a teleporting ability, or is he a ghost?

If he is NOT dead, then are we to assume that he dies in the ending?

Or does he not die at all either way? In the game's ending post-credits, Link is setting off on the new journey while riding the King Of Red Lions. Is Daphnes using the king of red lions as a vessel at this point, or is it now an empty vessel completely? (Is the king of red lions seen in PH? I can't remember if he is or not...)

In the game's ending, Zelda says to Daphnes "you can come with us", does she mean as Daphnes himself, or as the king of red lions? Either way, Daphnes refuses as he stays behind, yet in the post-credits we see Link riding the king of red lions as mentioned.

So yeah, is Daphnes dead or not? And if not, did he die in the end or not? I'm not sure if this is even open to theory, or if it is an obvious answer that I'm missing?

I think he was alive initially. Hyrule Historia states that he was sealed away along with Hyrule. With Ganondorf released the Goddesses awaken the King to find a new hero. But unlike Ganondorf, he seems to not be able to for whatever reasons physically leave sealed Hyrule. Yet his spirit or mind is able to and controls the King of Red Lions. Yes after the battle with Ganondorf, Zelda offers for him to come with them but he refuses, drowning with Hyrule. Now that he's dead, there isn't anyone controlling the King of Red Lions, it's just a regular boat now.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I thought king Daphnes was alive until he decided to go down with his ship... Now it makes more sense that he is dead...

Yeah, I feel like hisnspirit is stuck down there now

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I have always been under the impression he was alive before the ending of the game. Although he teleports around, and his conscious seems to manifest above the ocean within the King of Red Lions, the fact is he was able to use the Triforce. I can't imagine that'd be possible if he was dead.

He drowned though, and died. Confirmation of his death, the KoRL is lifeless at the end of the game.

Considering that he was alive during the Era Without a Hero, he'd have to be pretty old if he was still alive. I'd say his state is similar to that of Rhoam on the GP; dead, but still able to exist in spirit form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom