• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Two Teen Boys Arrested in Shooting Death of Georgia Infant in Stroller

Killjoy

The Insane One
Two teenage boys were arrested Friday in the shocking shooting death of an infant, killed in the stroller his mother was pushing in a coastal Georgia town.

Seventeen-year-old De'Marquis Elkins is charged as an adult with first-degree murder, along with a 14-year-old who was not identified because he is a juvenile, Brunswick Police Chief Tobe Green said.

The mother, Sherry West, was wounded in the apparent attempted robbery Thursday morning. The precise motive still is under investigation.
Two teen boys arrested in shooting death of Georgia infant in stroller | Fox News

These are the kind of thing that are causing people to say things about Higher gun control. and why it should be done. What are your thoughts?

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Those boys had serious problems if they were able to just walk up to a mother and shoot her infant dead. Even among criminals, crimes against a child, let alone an infant, are considered particularly horrid.

That being said it's foolish to look to individual shock cases like that as rational for gun control. Deranged individuals like that shooter would have just as soon stabbed the woman and her child if they didn't have guns.

Killjoy

The Insane One
Exactly why I personally think that pushing more authority on gun control is dumb. All it would do is cause people to find another random object to use(EG steak knife, baseball bat, etc, etc) to kill. I Believe that the parents are (in a way) also responsible for the teens general possession of the gun in the first place.

Xinn nailed the ramifications of the actual crime.

It's pretty clear that interest groups and the media desire gun control. Ever since the Connecticut school shooting, more and more gun violence stories are being posted. I express my condolences for the victims in question but that doesn't change my stance on the issue-2nd amendment rights should be preserved. The many people who properly use their firearms are jeopardized by the few who go on a shooting rampage.

Killjoy

The Insane One
Exactly what I'm thinking. My dad owns a few rifles and a hand gun for hunting and only hunting. I go hunting with him a time or two. I've even downed a young buck(Literally[it had stubs]) even downed a black bear in Alaska and a buffalo in Montana once. That is the only thing I and my dad would do is hunt game.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
True, it is possible to assault someone with something other than a gun, but while a knife requires proximity and strength to do damage, a gun only needs one trigger finger. It is easier to defend yourself against a knife than it is against a gun, in fact it is impossible to defend yourself against a gun. Unless you're wearing a bullet proof vests, and even they can be pierced with the right kind of ammunition, once that shot is fired at you, you cannot duck away, cannot shield yourself or someone else from said attack.

I find it appalling that whenever a terrible thing like this happens, people tend to be more focused on countering arguments against firearms than on the victim. Would you really be so keen on guns if it had been you and your kid who had been shot by these kids? Sure, gun control isn't the only issue (there should also be focus on what made these kids do such a heinous act - are they sociopaths by nature, were they involved with gangs or were there other environmental factors that contributed), but it is still one of the issues.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I find it appalling that whenever a terrible thing like this happens, people tend to be more focused on countering arguments against firearms than on the victim. Would you really be so keen on guns if it had been you and your kid who had been shot by these kids? Sure, gun control isn't the only issue (there should also be focus on what made these kids do such a heinous act - are they sociopaths by nature, were they involved with gangs or were there other environmental factors that contributed), but it is still one of the issues.
Speaking for myself, I just find it annoying that people insist on turning every isolated extreme shock case into a debate on firearm regulation, for the exact reason that people are more likely to leap all over the gun issues instead of the social issues. It's like focusing on the cough and not the fever. I'm against firearm regulation for a number of reasons, but I'm not simply trying to counter firearm arguments for the sake of it. I just strongly feel that legislation would do better focused on the social issues behind gun violence, rather than the guns themselves.

In this particular case, sure a knife would be easier to defend against, but those kids would have still just as soon wounded the mother and killed her child. Ya the mother might have walked away with less injury, but that doesn't change the fact that those kids still assaulted her.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I say we do need higher gun control. Yes, the notion simply broods upon more problems with the nation, but I feel that crime could be significantly reduced if the tools were either a) removed altogether or b) much harder to obtain. I mean, let's use what Xinn said as an example. If a person has a gun, all they have to do is point and click to kill someone. A knife, however, would take more time in order to do the killing (and requires more effort), so a life could potentially be saved in the latter case as well as the person caught and successfully dealt with.

Gun control isn't the problem or the issue, it's a gun-obsessive, paranoid culture. Good luck legislating that away.

Joy

The Sexy One
I don't understand the US citizens' need for guns. Being from France, where you cannot have guns unless you are part of the police, military, and where many less shootings occur than the US, (even though I do realise the two countries are not the same size and not the same amount of populations). your obsession with needing guns for protection seems... strange. I personally think you'd be better off that way, with only people who you know can use them and will use them (for the most part) responsibly.

Now onto the shooting, I don't know why or how they could have done something that horrible, but we are lucky these people are just isolated cases, nutjobs, monsters that don't represent the population who owns guns, most of which who are responsible.

We were a nation forged by gun warfare, we have romanticized it ever since. Hence why you don't see that kind of culture in nations like France.

Austin

Austin
I find it appalling that whenever a terrible thing like this happens, people tend to be more focused on countering arguments against firearms than on the victim.
I really don't see how it's "appalling". There isn't that much that can be said for the victims. It goes unsaid that we feel for them and wish them the best, that much is obvious. People these days snap up to countering arguments against firearms because they inevitably spring up. It's stupid to allow someone to take advantage of the situation by promoting their own agenda while withholding your opinion out of respect for the victims. If the argument is going to be raised, it should be debated as any sort of proposed sweeping legislation should. That's part of the heart of a democratic society.

Would you really be so keen on guns if it had been you and your kid who had been shot by these kids?
I don't see how this is relevant at all, unfortunately. All this would do is promote biased, emotion-driven decision making which is generally terrible for legislation as well as any intelligent discussion whatsoever. That's not to say that there aren't legitimate arguments against gun control, and that this event can't be used as evidence, but that it really should not be cheapened to "WHAT IF IT HAPPENED TO YOU".

There is a discussion to be had here, but it should be argued calmly and intelligently. Not on the basis of knee-jerk emotional reactions.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I don't understand the US citizens' need for guns. Being from France, where you cannot have guns unless you are part of the police, military, and where many less shootings occur than the US, (even though I do realise the two countries are not the same size and not the same amount of populations). your obsession with needing guns for protection seems... strange. I personally think you'd be better off that way, with only people who you know can use them and will use them (for the most part) responsibly.
Our constitution's second amendment guarantees a right to bear arms. For a foreigner it can be a little hard to understand just how important our constitution is to our nation's laws and policies, but from a sheer political point of view, outright gun restrictions is an infringement on constitutional rights, which is in spirit overturning part of the very foundation on which our nation was forged. The political ramifications alone would be huge.

In addition, while the legal availability of firearms does correlate to number of firearm attacks, it's certainly not the definitive factor. If you look at Switzerland for example, they have a very high number of legally owned guns relative to population, but they also have a much lower rate of firearm attacks. America in general has a higher proportion of gun attacks to guns owned than other countries, suggesting the problem is not with the availability of the weapon itself persay, but an issue with society. There's also always the black market.

All in all, regardless of "whether we'd be better off" or not, the fact remains that actually getting through the implementation of severe gun restrictions is nearly impossible given the circumstances, and is still in the end only treating the symptom rather than the cause.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom