• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Two Cents

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"Adding in your two cents" is a phrase commonly used on the Internet which, in my understanding at least, has come to be synonymous with "put your [seemingly] worthless opinion into the lot." However, I don't consider my own opinions to be valued at a meager two cents. In fact, I don't have an intrinsic value placed on them at all.

On that same train of thought, I also have an indescribable desire for other thoughts and opinions. Surely some could use improvement, but none are by any means worthless to me.

How do you feel about your own thoughts and opinions? Are they a mere two cents? What about others' opinions? Are ill-thought out opinions simply another two pence to you, or do you feel they're worth much more?

I've been told that "adding one's two cents" is a product of being modest of one's own opinion. Surely, the impact of one's opinions upon others is subjective and may vary from person to person (i.e., worth more than two cents), but the idiom itself is just a figure of speech that was never meant to be taken so personally and literal. However, it can be seen as a form of irony if one's own opinion is indeed very impactful--unfitting of the idiom's namesake (2 cents). On the other end, it can be taken to mean providing one's input where it isn't needed, but we're obviously discussing the first instance here. If you don't put your two cents in, how can you get change?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I use the phrase "adding my two cents" to just state that I'm giving my opinion. I don't really think one's opinion is "worth more" than another's opinion. Every one has a different view on things, and you can only change that on rare occasions. I honestly don't care about opinions to be honest. I'm not saying that my opinions are right, because opinions are opinions. I may disagree with your opinions, but that doesn't really mean that I think I am right. No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to opinions. It's just your thoughts. None of us are the same which is why I don't take other people's opinions personally.

But that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
I've never understood why people offer a "penny for your thoughts", yet people always put in their " two cents worth".

It makes no sense as to why people always sell their thoughts for less than they are worth.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i've found that when i give my opinion on something i've had a lot of experience with, sch as being a struggling musician, other people don't care. they don't care about what the person with experience has to say because most of the time we try to teach from our mistakes and people don't see it that way. i value other opinions, i don't really care about what i say but it's worth more than two cents just based on what i've had to go through to be able to say what i do often say.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
well i never used that phrase before lol.. though when I give my opinion i would like to think that it's worth something more than two cents.. though i'm pretty sure that it's not lol. So whenever someone asks for my opinion i give it regardless of it's worth lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom