• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twillight Realm/Fused Shadow & Majora's Mask?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I completely agree that Majora's Mask has no connection to the Fused Shadow, but you know how much I love to play the Devil's Advocate so in defense of the theory at hand, at the end of MM the HMS said that the Mask's power was gone (meaning it was just an ordinary mask). It's possible that with it's power gone, it started to alter in appearance (aka turn into stone). Due to the design of the mask, someone who found it (maybe one of the first Twili people) could have bestowed powers unto it making in the Fused Shadow.

It's a long shot and I certainly don't believe it, but it's a theory and I love coming up with theories.

Majora's Mask also had a more heart-shaped form, don't forget it.
Oh, and on top of that, after you see that scene in wich Lanayru tells you about the Dark interlopers, you get the idea(at least I did) that those events happened really, really long ago...
Maybe even before OoT...

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
I'm surprised to see that someone has the same theory about Termina and the Twilight realm as me...
Well...
I read the article about the "dark tribe" in Zelda wiki, wich may be related to that theory:
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Dark_Tribe

It is about a "dark tribe" wich may be the Twili, because it is said to have been banished ine another dimension via a mirror, after invading Hyrule (FSA). Just read the article to know more about the connection between them, this is convicing.

In MM, the Happy Mask Salesman describes the people which created the mask, here is the quote:
The mask that was stolen from me... It is called Majora's Mask. It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals... The ancient ones...sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse. But now, that tribe from the legend has vanished...

If we follow those theories, the "dark tribe" described in FSA became the Twili and they also are the "ancient tribe" wich created the Majora's mask.
Of course the "ancient tribe" may be a different one... But now we have these similarities between the Fused Shadows and the Majora's mask. First, they are EVIL MASKS, which is kinda uncommon. And then they have the same eye design...
There is a lot of other questions... Why did the tribe (possibly the Twili) created the mask for? Are they the "ancients" who sealed it? (the ancients may be the light spirits from TP after all) Did the tribe vanished because they were sealed by a mirror?

So, we now have elements which suppose that the Twili created Majora's mask... Now, why should Termina be the Twilight Realm? It is not said that the ancient tribe that created the mask was from Termina. But I remember what Midna says about it: There is a Twili legend which says that an animal will come to save them, or something like that. In both MM and TP, Link can change himself into different creatures, and then manage to save the alternate dimension...

Well, I personnaly think that Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadow are connected, and I also think that Termina and the Twilight Realm are the same place. I think studying Midna's quote about the Realm may be entertaining, she describe it very often.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
First, they are EVIL MASKS, which is kinda uncommon.

I don't recall anyone ever stating that the Fused Shadow is an evil mask... In fact, it's used by Midna (who is an ally and helps Link save Hyrule), so I fail to see what makes you think that the Fused Shadow is evil..

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Maybe the fact that Midna accidentally kills Zant when she wears it? :p
Even its shard had the power to change Darbus into a gigantic monster...

Well, I have no doubts about the nature of this thing ^_^"
And I think that Lanaryu clearly says that the Fused Shadow hold an evil power during the weird "shadow Link" cutscene.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Yeah. =)
She didn't want to kill him after all.
And I still think that Lanaryu explains that the power in the Fused Shadow is kinda evil in that freaky cutscene...
Anyway, if you prefer, they are MAGIC masks, which is a common point after all.

I played Majora's Mask today, and, in French, during the cutscene where the Happy Mask Salesman tells the story of Majora, he says something like "old tribe" instead of "ancient tribe". So, this means, like I supposed, that the tribe and the ancients who sealed the mask are different people.
I know this is a detail but... ^_^'
By the way, while playing, I will pay attention if I notice something that could have a link with TP...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
if you prefer, they are MAGIC masks, which is a common point after all.

ALL of the masks in MM are magic masks, so I still fail to see how that solidly connects Majora's Mask with the Fused Shadow.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Termina being the Twilight Realm?
Hm... We all should know by now that there is NO chance that the Sacred Realm is the Twilight Realm(It would be stupid of the Goddesses to imprison the people who wanted the Triforce in the same place that it was kept), and I don't think that it is Termina.
We don't see a single piece of evidence that even makes you consider it.
The only thing that connects the Fused Shadow and the Majora's Mask is the eye design, and the fact that both were created by ancient tribes.

And the Old Tribe/Ancient Tribe translation is kinda the same, so i don't see the problem, Gohma.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Yeah, that means the same thing, but with "the ancient tribe" and "the ancients who sealed it", we could think that they are the same...
Well, that's not important after all.

About Termina/Twilight Realm, that's true that we don't have a lot of elements, but IF Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadow were created by the Twili, it is possible that the spirits sealed them in the same place.
It is impossible to know if the two worlds are the same, but this could be true...
The major problem is that Link and Epona enters Termina without using any mirror, probably because of Skull Kid... Now if Majora can travel between the two dimensions, it is not logical at all...

Remember that this is just a theory, and I miss elements...
If anyone has some clues about that? ^_^'

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Here's something for thought.

According to legend... the troubles caused by Majora's Mask were so great... the ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse
- Happy Mask Salesman

That story resembles another story doesn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWfFRWRrUo

Lanaryu and the other spirits are quite ancient when you think of it. Another thing is that while Majora may have support in Termina, where did Skull Kid find the mask on the Happy Mask Salesman? The Lost Woods in "HYRULE". This gives information that this mask is but another one of the weapons of magic created by the Twili.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Yeah, that means the same thing, but with "the ancient tribe" and "the ancients who sealed it", we could think that they are the same...
Well, that's not important after all.

About Termina/Twilight Realm, that's true that we don't have a lot of elements, but IF Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadow were created by the Twili, it is possible that the spirits sealed them in the same place.
It is impossible to know if the two worlds are the same, but this could be true...
The major problem is that Link and Epona enters Termina without using any mirror, probably because of Skull Kid... Now if Majora can travel between the two dimensions, it is not logical at all...

Remember that this is just a theory, and I miss elements...
If anyone has some clues about that? ^_^'

Keep in mind that the Happy Mask Salesman apparently knows how to freely travel between Termina and Hyrule without any magic (to our knowledge). There doesn't necessarily need to be some special way to travel to Termina (mirror, skull kid/mask powers) because a (mostly) normal Hylian knows how to get there on his own.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
I don't know if we can consider the Happy Mask Salesmasn "normal".. xD
Seriously, he is really suspicious...
He is the one who had Majora's Mask, which was said to be "sealed", he is unnafected by the Song of Time... Even Tatl said something weird about him at the beggining...

But yeah, Link, Epona and him got in Termina without apparently using any kind of magic...
Referring to Midna, the only way to enter the Twilight Realm is the Mirror, and I don't remember any in MM, except maybe in Ikana temple.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Also, the Happy Mask salesman seems to be wearing a mask of his face in some cutscenes, the guy's a freakshow,and I love him:)

But, back on topic: Apart from the fact that both are powerful masks(even though MM has a personality and is an actual being), and having similar eye designs, the similarities end there.
I don't think that the two are connected.

Also, bellum's eyes closely resemble majora's and I've never seen anyone connecting them xD

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Also, the Happy Mask salesman seems to be wearing a mask of his face in some cutscenes, the guy's a freakshow,and I love him:)

But, back on topic: Apart from the fact that both are powerful masks(even though MM has a personality and is an actual being), and having similar eye designs, the similarities end there.
I don't think that the two are connected.

Also, bellum's eyes closely resemble majora's and I've never seen anyone connecting them xD

Actually, the thing that separates bellums eye from Majora's is the angle of it. Bellum isn't in the correct position that makes the fused shadow eye and Majora's masks eye so similar.

Also, Majora seemed to have most of it's power from the fact that it's owner was weak minded. Midna however had power and control. As you saw during the cutscene where Midna stabbed Zant, it looked like she lost control of her power right there, that kinda shows that the weapons might have minds of their own. They just need to be controlled.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Actually, the thing that separates bellums eye from Majora's is the angle of it. Bellum isn't in the correct position that makes the fused shadow eye and Majora's masks eye so similar.

Also, Majora seemed to have most of it's power from the fact that it's owner was weak minded. Midna however had power and control. As you saw during the cutscene where Midna stabbed Zant, it looked like she lost control of her power right there, that kinda shows that the weapons might have minds of their own. They just need to be controlled.

That is a fact, but, the Majora's Mask clearly haves a personality, even when It's not being weared by the Skull Kid, while the Fused Shadow is clearly just a mask.
And nothing shows that the Fused Shadow also has a mind of it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom