• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Series.....Who Are Fans?

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I am a giant fan of the Twilight series. Bella and Edward make a cute couple. Then again, it might just be his golden eyes talking........ Anyway I love the series and the drama. My favorite book is Eclipse, and that is my favorite movie to. Of course, Zelda still takes up more of my quality obbsession time. :) I love just reading the books. Do you like the series?:suspicious:

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
I can confidently say that I read this series before it became EXTREMELY popular. I read the series in my 8th grade year (2007) and I cant help but say that I was addicted. Although I'm not stuck on these series anymore. I mean, it has been a couple years... Anyways, the movies ruined the series, as usual IMO. I read the series within a week probably. Just couldn't pu the freakin' books down. But I've moved on, I'm glad to say, from the obsessive fans of the Twilight Series.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I agree Chilfo Freeze. I liked the movies, but they ruined the books. Of course, most movies do not do their books justice.

L

llamaman000z

i hate twilight to me now this is my opinion twilight is the stupidest thing ever to be created

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
I really love the Twilight series:). I also read it before it became popular lol. Eclipse is my favorite book from the series and my favorite of the movies because it seemed to have more action than the rest.

Another great book is "The Host" which is also by Stephanie Meyer. It was hard to follow in the beginning but it turned out to be a really great book and I highly recommend it.

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
I'm a big fan, I love the characters. My favorite of the book are the last two. I sadly was late getting into the book and read too much info the anti-hype, thus makeing assumptions on the books. Though my mother pushed for me to see the first movie with my family. I thought it wasn't that bad, but was still reluctant to read the books. My mother got me New moon in paperback, and after procrastinating not wanting to hurt her feelings I read it, since then I've loved it. <3

I also really like The Host. I thought it was very good. I am curious what Stephanie will write next.

I like Twilight enough. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the series or that I find it mindblowing, but it's decent and it's entertaining. I've always been a fan of romantic stories (believe it or not with my current avatar :P ), so Twilight was enjoyable to me. I admit to being pretty pissed off about the sparkling thing for a while, mainly because I was watching Twilight and when he's like "YOU NEED TO SEE WHAT I LOOK LIKE" I expected a ****ing awesome bat monster, so naturally you can see how I was disappointed. But I've gotten over it.

I've mainly seen the movies. New Moon and Eclipse are better than Twilight IMO. New Moon had better atmosphere I think, but I appreciated Eclipse's added action and I loved that the director was the same as the guy who did 30 Days of Night. He was a perfect choice, and though Eclipse is a totally different movie (less, you know, GORE), I can actually see his influence all over in it and it appealed to me. The scenes with Jasper and the newborns were the best. I also like it how they've switched directors so much; gives me the feeling that they're taking the movies seriously and picking a director who can pull off the specifics of each story as good as possible.

I've also been reading the first book, though kinda slowly. I'm enjoying Edward's punk-*** attitude, and Chief Swan is also great. Keyshe has told me stuff from the books that was left out of the movies, so I've gotten a lot of the lore that was never put into them. I like the lore of Twilight best I think. The psychic pack stuff with the wolf shapeshifters was intriguing, and I love the really classic yet realistic version of the vampires. Real classic Dracula stuff, what with the psychic powers, invulnerability to daylight, lack of a soul, and the seduction of humans. I love it how the vampires are basically built to be the perfect predator of humans, and I've come to at least appreciate the sparkling for what it is: An extension of the vampires' "beauty", as well as going along with their super-dense, stone bodies. It's nice to see someone attach density to super strength for once, since you technically need one to have the other.

i hate twilight to me now this is my opinion twilight is the stupidest thing ever to be created
Care to elaborate?

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I liked the drama. New Moon showed real action and drama through Bella and Jacob's actions to stay together. I like the relationship between the two in all the books, because as they describe it, it is "As eay as breathing." Yet, Jacob always angered me. He hurt Bella so much, and his apologies and promises were broken many times over. Yet, he still is my favorite "dog," and I love how he loves Bella enough to give her up. Also, in Twilight, Edward annoyed me. So careful with Bella, always trying to stay away, but couldn't. As seen in New Moon, he couldn't leave forever. I felt really bad for Jacob in New Moon, because he was better for Bella. I like how the vampires were perfect hunters of humans. Their strength and power were hidden behind their mesmerising beauty. I always wish Bella were a stronger character. She never had self control, and was depressed at the thought of Edward and Jacob never being together. She always needed to be comforted, and she hated herself. She said it many times over in Eclipse, that she wished she could die because of her action. I liked the books more than the movies, because the movies left out alot, but they at least gave the characters faces. I like the series alot, having re-read everybook at least twice. I am reading New Moon again, and I hope to find another series like this. I would tell everyone to read the books and watch the movies, because they are good. But make sure you read the books first, because the movies leave out alot of the important explainations.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Yesterday in a skype chat I jokingly made a comment about the writing style sucking, an unsubstantiated claim not meant to be taken seriously. I think I put some people off (I admit, I was being pretty annoying), but I actually do think what I've heard of the writing style is awful.

I've only ever heard excerpts from Twilight, which means I can't formulate a fair opinion. I fully acknowledge this. It was the "Alex Reads Twilight" video series on youtube, where he'll read some of the book, summarize most of it, and make jokes about it. It's pretty much much what the Nostalgia Critic does for movies.

Now, while my opinion can't be fair, I am allowed to have an opinion, and I most certainly do. What little I heard of the writing is atrocious, offensively so. I could out-write Stephanie Meyer, and I do not count myself as a good creative writer. Now you could say this is because it's in memoir format or whatever, but no, that's an excuse. It alternates between vague emotional reactions and thorough but uninteresting descriptions. It reeks of an adult trying to write like a teenager.

Perhaps the writing looks better when read continuously, and when read on the printed page. Perhaps the story contained therein is as riveting as Shakespeare's Richard III. From what I've heard, I highly doubt it, but I'll have to actually read it for my opinion to count for much.

Obviously, I don't think the writer deserves any scorn even if her books aren't that good, and it's no use bashing Twilight fans. I'm glad for Meyer's success. And perhaps, in six months, I will return to this thread having read the book and declare it the definitive masterpiece of its time.

I wouldn't bet on it.

PS: Seriously, no offense intended to Twilight fans. Like what you like. My opinion means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I can confidently say that I read this series before it became EXTREMELY popular. I read the series in my 8th grade year (2007) and I cant help but say that I was addicted. Although I'm not stuck on these series anymore. I mean, it has been a couple years... Anyways, the movies ruined the series, as usual IMO.

How could the movies ruin the series? Whether they're good or not, they don't affect the contents of the original text.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I did enjoy the books quite a bit. And whether the writing is awful or not, they are written for young adults. Stephenie Meyer's The Host was quite intriguing and written for an adult audience.

Thus, I am a quiet fan, but a fan nonetheless.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
I can honestly say that I found both the books and the films rather dull. I couldn't really make it through the first book without getting bored, but then again I'm not really into the typical ''High-school romance bla bla bla'' style. Not saying they're awful or anything, just not really my cup of tea.

...Though, an interesting theory I read somewhere is that Twilight is a cleverly designed way of getting the average teenage girl to continue reading the series by making Bella a rather blank character and giving extremely detailed descriptions for Edward and Jacob, so that the reader can put themselves in Bella's place and live out what I guess is some people's fantasy. (Average teenage girl with two ''hot'' guys fighting over her. Yay?)

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well. I read them before they were overly popular and I thought they were okay. I dismissed them as a pretty good read, but nothing too amazing or shocking. The writing style was okay but a little repetitive IMO. The movies I don't like very much. It's not really the the franchise I hate but I hate the Vampire craze. I liked it better when young adult sections were filled with more fantasy and less Vampires. I'm really just sick of it all. The fan-girls I don't like either.

So I guess the books aren't horrendous but everything that came with it kind of is.

I read the series, and watched the first two movies. I didn't particularly like the first book at all, my favorite book would be New Moon (hell, I even liked it enough to check it out of the library twice). I'm a fan of romance, so the series did appeal to me however... the writing style was rather poor, and the plot was unoriginal. There were a lot of flaws, but it was.... interesting? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom