• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Realm Vs. The Dark World

peanutjoepap

Mr. Peanut
Most every one thinks that in the end of OOT Ganondorf is sealed in the dark world, but is that true? Because it is also possible that he was sent to the twilight realm because of similar circumstances. Both times he was sealed by the six sages in to another world. And that officially OOT was the first game and ALTTP was the last because of it saying "AND THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS AGAIN... FOREVER." Though that could just be complete crap because nintendo did not know where the zelda series would go then. According to that it would be OOT then ALTTP and it would all be over. But if he was sealed in the twilight realm the series could go on. What do you think.

S

Sword of Faith

You're forgetting that there's multiple timelines. While the Master Sword might stay put forever in one, in the other, there will be more heroes.

Also, I doubt he was put in the twilight realm, as The Dark World is the exact opposite of the light world, where as the Twilight realm is the strip in between the two. Ganondorf was only locked there in TP.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The twilight world is a place of banishment created by the gods, but if the TR was the DW that would mean the Twili had a shot at the Triforce the entire time.

The DW was also Ganon's creation by twisting the Sacred Realm into his own idea. However the DW in FSA is confusing to me on what it could be, unless it's the TR but I can't decide on that.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

No, they're definitely different. I used to think they were the same thing, but that was when I thought it fit in the timeline differently. The main idea of each of them is different.

The Dark World is actually more perfect than the Twilight Realm, at least this early in the timeline. The Dark World is only the Dark World during A Link to the Past and its backstory. Prior to that part of the story, it was the Sacred Realm or the Golden Land, a place made perfect because it was the dwelling of the Triforce.

The Twilight Realm, on the other hand, is intended to be essentially corrupted because it's between light and dark. The last I checked, corrupted was quite the opposite of perfect.

but if the TR was the DW that would mean the Twili had a shot at the Triforce the entire time.
I'm obviously already saying they're different, but I think I'll point out that this wouldn't give the Twili access to the Triforce, as it is split up and not in the Dark World during Twilight Princess.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
No, they're definitely different. I used to think they were the same thing, but that was when I thought it fit in the timeline differently. The main idea of each of them is different.

The Dark World is actually more perfect than the Twilight Realm, at least this early in the timeline. The Dark World is only the Dark World during A Link to the Past and its backstory. Prior to that part of the story, it was the Sacred Realm or the Golden Land, a place made perfect because it was the dwelling of the Triforce.

The Twilight Realm, on the other hand, is intended to be essentially corrupted because it's between light and dark. The last I checked, corrupted was quite the opposite of perfect.

I'm obviously already saying they're different, but I think I'll point out that this wouldn't give the Twili access to the Triforce, as it is split up and not in the Dark World during Twilight Princess.

The Twili have lived in the TR longer than just TP, they lived there since who knows when. But they had to live at least before or after OOT.

Ganondorf was sealed in what they called the Evil Realm. Many people believe that the backstory of ALttP tells of this event, however I disagree. If they were to have sealed Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm at that point, they would have called it that instead of the Evil Realm. So I highly doubt that it was the Twilight Realm at all.

As far as ALttP being last on the timeline, that's really all left up to what theory you believe. So many people have different ideas that it could possibly be the last, though it wouldn't make sense considering the back of the ALttP SNES box clearly states that the game follows the adventures of the "predecessors of Link and Zelda". Which is talking about the Link and Zelda from LoZ and AoL, as those were the only other two games created at this point.

My opinion is simply that at that time, Nintendo could have either wanted to end the series, or wanted to not go any further with the Master Sword on the timeline. They could have very well been planning out Ocarina of Time towards the completion of ALttP, and of course, OoT was a prequel to all games made up until this point. According to my timeline, the quote about the Master Sword sleeping forever still holds true. My timeline has ALttP being before LoZ and AoL, which is where my timeline ends, and neither of those games use the Master Sword. So thus far, that quote is accurate by my standards, but you also have to look at the fact that it can easily be retconned at any time if they were to make another game past AoL.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I believe that the dark world in ALTTP is the very same one as in FSA as they are both exactly the same as Hyrule, just a dark form. Also, it's pretty clear that FSA is meant to be a prequel to ALTTP. The maps in both games are very similar and the palace of the four sword is in ALTTP (the GBA version).

The quote about the master sword sleeping forever means absolutely nothing, IMO. It was the third game in the series, and I'm sure the creators had no idea that Zelda would become what it is today. The game was created before the timeline and before the series was immensely successful so I think they put it in there as a "what if this series doesn't take off" thing so if the series died, then there would be no open ending as the master sword is supposedly sleeping forever. Besides, how would anyone know that the master sword will sleep forever. When you bury someone's body, you bury them with the intention that that's the place they will stay forever. Some graves say "here lies so and so and here they shall remain for eternity" but what if someone were to come along and steal the remains or what if some natural disaster causes huge geographical movement and destroys or moves the body, then the body wouldn't have been resting there forever. There is no way the "narrator" or whoever said that quote in the game would know for sure that it would never be used again. It's just something that sounds epic.

The dark world is an opposite of Hyrule. It looks the same in nearly every way except it's, well, dark. The twilight realm is not in any way a nearly exact opposite of Hyrule, therefor i conclude that they are not the same place.

Also, the twilight realm does not necessarily have to have been around for a very long time. It seems that it wasn't around in the times of OoT as there was no twilight mirror in or around Hyrule castle and if they were gonna banish Ganondorf in OoT why not banish him there and why banish him in the sacred realm? Doesn't make much sense.

The twilight realm had to be created sometime within the 100 years between OoT and TP.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
I'm not sure if this is necroposting, but I wanted to point out that the Twilight Realm was made by the Goddesses/Light Spirits to banish the Dark Interlopers. The Interlopers were the ones who instigated the Hyrulean Civil War, which took place before OoT. The TR was made to banish those fueling the war.
It was eventually ended by the efforts of the Hylian king, who established his dominion over Hyrule (which may or may not have been called Hyrule at that point- the Hylian race ruled.). The Sheikah that fought against the Hylians were all but exterminated, and the loyal remainder became the retainers of the Royal Family. The Dark Interlopers and their Fused Shadow were banished, before the events of OoT.

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
Going back to the main poster here, he couldn't have been taken to the twilight realm because even though they had the twilight realm, it had been forgotten about so he was ethier sealed in the sacred realm (Ganon wan't there yet so it was called the sacred realm) or a realm we don't even know about yet.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Most every one thinks that in the end of OOT Ganondorf is sealed in the dark world, but is that true? Because it is also possible that he was sent to the twilight realm because of similar circumstances. Both times he was sealed by the six sages in to another world. And that officially OOT was the first game and ALTTP was the last because of it saying "AND THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS AGAIN... FOREVER." Though that could just be complete crap because nintendo did not know where the zelda series would go then. According to that it would be OOT then ALTTP and it would all be over. But if he was sealed in the twilight realm the series could go on. What do you think.
I wasn't aware that most people thought that... in any case, we can figure that The Sacred Realm is The Dark World. How do we come to this conclusion?
[SHEIK] [SOURCE]
"If you would seek the sacred triangle, listen well... The resting place of the sacred triangle, the Sacred Realm, is a mirror that reflects what is in the heart...the heart of one who enters it...If an evil heart, the Realm will become full of evil; if pure,the Realm will become a paradise."

In ALttP, the "Golden Land", said to be where the Triforce is:
[ALttP] [SOURCE]
"...This world used to be the Golden Land where the Triforce was hidden."

So, according to actual in-game text, The Sacred Realm would be The Dark World. I don't think that the Twilight Realm was created by the Goddesses just to banish Ganon or the Dark Interlopers. I think it was there beforehand, and ended up being used as a prison of sorts by the three light spirits (who were the ones to banish them, not the Goddesses). In any case, The Dark World isn't an opposite of Hyrule- it's a mirror that reflects what is in the heart. That means it can either be a good or bad place. The Twilight Realm, on the other hand, is very much like an opposite of Hyrule. They are "two sides of the same coin", if you will. Hyrule is the realm of light, and the Twilight Realm is a realm pervaded by twilight. In conclusion, The Dark World is a corrupted Sacred Realm, namely the place Ganon was sealed away to in OoT's Adult Timeline (and he breaks out around TWW, blah blah blah), and is separate from the Twilight Realm, the place Ganon was banished to in OoT's Child Timeline.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
Ocarina of Time said:
If all six Sages come together,
we can imprison Ganondorf, the
King of Evil, in the Sacred Realm.

I think that pretty much sums it up ;)
Ganondorf, in Ocarina of Time, corrupted the Sacred Realm, turning it into the "world of evil". The words for "world of evil" (Ocarina of Time), "Dark Realm" (Wind Waker), and "Dark World" (aLttP) are all, interchangabley, "yami no sekai" and "makai".

The first meaning "world of darkness" and the second meaning "demon world". Neither one of these are ever used to describe the Twilight Realm, but it's possible that the Twilight Realm is an incarnation of the Dark World.

My complete thoughts here:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2009/05/a-new-perspective-the-nature-o.php#more

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
The twilight realm had to be created sometime within the 100 years between OoT and TP.

There is no proof to support that. As far as we know (and as one of my theories/fanfics) the Twilight Realm could've been created when the Triforce touched the world, millions of years ago.

I'm not sure if this is necroposting, but I wanted to point out that the Twilight Realm was made by the Goddesses/Light Spirits to banish the Dark Interlopers. The Interlopers were the ones who instigated the Hyrulean Civil War, which took place before OoT. The TR was made to banish those fueling the war.
It was eventually ended by the efforts of the Hylian king, who established his dominion over Hyrule (which may or may not have been called Hyrule at that point- the Hylian race ruled.). The Sheikah that fought against the Hylians were all but exterminated, and the loyal remainder became the retainers of the Royal Family. The Dark Interlopers and their Fused Shadow were banished, before the events of OoT.

Again, there is also absolutely no evidence that the godesses or the light spirits created the Twilight Realm. For all we know, the Twilight Realm may serve another purpose that has not yet been revealed. My theory is that it is the afterlife, due to the creatures of the light world becoming spirits.

Also, the twilight realm does not necessarily have to have been around for a very long time. It seems that it wasn't around in the times of OoT as there was no twilight mirror in or around Hyrule castle and if they were gonna banish Ganondorf in OoT why not banish him there and why banish him in the sacred realm? Doesn't make much sense.

I agree. The mystery of the Mirror's whereabouts is, well, still a mystery. But as for sealing him within the Sacred Realm, I can speculate that since the realm was now transformed into a place of evil, it only made sense to send him there. The Triforce was no longer in the Sacred Realm, as Ganondorf had already touched it and caused it to split up. So, they put him somewhere where he cannot get to the other two pieces. The did say at the end of Ocarina of Time that Ganondorf was sealed within the "Evil Realm", which by speculation is the Sacred Realm, now turned evil.

Not exactly. The scene in TP that shows Ganondorf's attempted execution was said to have taken place only several years after Ocarina of Time's CT (SOURCE, 2). So the Twilight Realm was obviously around at this point. TP itself starts some hundred years after OoT's CT, but the actual execution did not take that long to carry out.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Not exactly. The scene in TP that shows Ganondorf's attempted execution was said to have taken place only several years after Ocarina of Time's CT (SOURCE, 2). So the Twilight Realm was obviously around at this point. TP itself starts some hundred years after OoT's CT, but the actual execution did not take that long to carry out.

I said that it likely was created within the 100 years between OoT and TP. Several years after OoT would be within that 100 years...

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Have you ever considered that, like WW's 100 years is supposed to be hundreds, so TP's 100 years are supposed to be hundreds, as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom