• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twilight Realm Dungeon Thoughts

Retsdob

Retsdob
It was my interpretation that the twilight realm was supposed to be a mirror image of hyrule as stated by midna. A world cast in the shadows. This dungeon shows nothing of this, I was extremely dissapointed in the dungeon...not only was it short and easy, it seemed as though the game designers were rushing here. Although it may be the result of Zant's twisting, the Twilight realm was nothing like hyrule. The backround was simply dark and you were on a pathetic island without any attempt for artistic graphics, other then the famous twili symbols which occur in the dungeon. What do you think about this semi-dungeon?

Nicole

luke is my wife
I agree in part. The dungeon was way too easy. I mean, it's Twilight! Be creative! I think the graphics, though, were pretty well-done, if not creative. I actually took the time to look around and noticed little islands floating far away from the only playable one. I thought it would be cool if the Twilight had a bigger explorable area. Maybe a village or town, other than Zant's castle.
Which brings up the question: The Twili, as in the race. If the Twilight realm itself is just made up of floating islands, how do the Twili interact with others on a different island? How do they get to the other islands, physically? Are they more advanced than we realize, and have a means of flying to each island? Or do they all have the ability to warp, like Midna? We know Midna has special abilites, other than those granted by the Fused Shadows. Is this just because she's the Twilight Princess? Or do all Twili have magical abilities? I guess these are thoughts for another thread.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I agree as well. The Twilight Realm was definitely cool as a parallel world...Until you realized how little there was to explore. I feel like it had a lot of potential, it was wildly different than the medieval-inspired Hyrule we're used to, which I guess can be either a good or a bad thing, but the area was so underdeveloped that it was hard to make a complete judgment. The vacant graphics and art design of the world left me wanting more, but the whole "single floating island with no real civilization" thing left me with a raised eyebrow. They tried, but it wasn't quite enough, so it just became an awkward dungeon in the middle of nowhere.

It's true that the dungeon itself was pretty weak... The only thing keeping you on your toes was those creepy floating hands. I can only imagine how much more engaging it would be with fully expounded areas like those of Hyrule; a forested area, mountains, lakes, ect... and even more so with developed and interesting inhabitants, unlike the moaning, stationary ones we received. But that's what happens when game development falls behind schedule, as we're all too familiar. It's a real shame (an so obvious) that TP was rushed, since there was so much more that could've been done with it. It's all "shoulda-coulda-woulda" at this point, but the Twilight Realm was no doubt one aspect of that game that could've used work the most.

Djinn

and Tonic
Midna actually calls the Twilight realm the antithesis of Hyrule. It was meant to be a totally alien world.

"What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses. It was another world entirely... The antithesis of Hyrule, where the sun shines bright. Its denizens became shadows that could not mingle with the light. Eventually, most came to call it the Twilight Realm, and from it, none could return to the world of light..." — Midna
And Eldin gives an explanation as to what happens to Hylians when they are bathed in the Twilight.

"Twilight covered Hyrule like a shroud, and without light, the people became as spirits. Within the twilight, they live on, unaware that they have passed into spirit forms..." — Eldin
Midna explains that they become shadows and Eldin says that they become spirits. This is shown several times throughout the game that Midna has a very malleable form and is not 100% physical. She sinks into Link's shadow when he is in human form. And will float right out when you need to speak with her. So it is possible that she has taken on the properties of a spirit while still existing as a living being. It is also explained that over time the interlopers adapted to their world and became the Twili of today. So that might explain why they still have some physical characteristics while normal people in Hyrule are completely spirits when bathed in twilight.

Anyway, Midna had displayed a few of these pseudo-spirit characteristics with her ability to float around anywhere and through walls along shadows. It was never explained if this was her magical ability r the fused shadow. I do not think it was the fused shadow since it was incomplete at the time, and she was punished and transformed into an imp. So any magic she would have might be sealed away to prevent her from stopping Zant. So if these abilities are inherent in the half spirit Twili, then floating between islands might be possible. And the Twili Realm not that dangerous a place as it was for Link since he required bridges or teleporting pads to move from one island to another. The Twili teleport circles could also be a method of travel between islands. They were already a tribe that was known for their superiority in magic, when faced with a world that has different physics they might put that magic to good use by setting up things like teleport circles everywhere.

It could also be possible that the Palace of Twilight would be raised to a higher and more defensible location. The king of the twili would want the palace to be much higher than the rest of the islands as a way of displaying superiority over the rest. And keep the palace safe from insurrection or war. It might also be possible that Zant personally removed the other islands or the rest of the civilization because he had no use for it. He transformed the twili into mindless monsters only meant to be used as minions for his conquest of Hyrule. There is no point in keeping villages around if they are just animals.

Last edited:

Abbs

I agree.

The Twilight Realm was built up to be this major, dark, otherworld form of Hyrule and the fact that it bare little resemblance to it made it a bit of a let down. It showed little evidence of civilization aside from a few mindless inhabitants dabbed here and there, which makes the need of a monarchy a little ridiculous. I'm assuming there is more to the Twilight Realm than the small portion we got to see, but still. I wouldn't blame the Twili for wanting to expand unto our land. As cool as their realm is, it just didn't seem all that sufficient to support their lives.

I was disappointed too :(

Skyward Sword presents a Hyrule where there's a floating land above it. Maybe the Twilight dungeon was the Twilight version of Skyloft? The rest of the land could have been below.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
The dungeon was pretty spooky, but was very short and easy. I don't see why they had to make it a half-dungeon. And the size of the realm didn't really seem like another world, but just another part of Hyrule.

Twilight Realm was half assed, as well as Hyrule Castle.

If they put more detail into those two dungeons, they could have made the ending waaaaay better. Twilight Realm needed NPC interaction, perhaps a whole other mini-world with side-quests, and the actual Palace of Twilight could have been much longer and harder.

Hyrule Castle was super short, and very disappointing compared to Ocarina of Time's Ganon's Castle, or the awesome four dungeons in Majora's Mask's Moon.
But Wind Waker had a weak last dungeon as well.
Hopefully Skyward Sword's last dungeon will be long and hard and epic.

MrLuigi

Theorist
I liked it because it was short.

I hated it because getting those Sols was a pain.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Altogether, it was a challenging Dungeon...until you got past the Floor- or Wallmasters. Then everything was smooth sailing, pretty much. I was a tad bit disappointed at how simple it was getting the Boss Key. Beyond attaining both the Sols, the Twilight Palace was a little too easy for my taste, but the end ending was definitely worth it. :) After dragging me all the way to this "black sheep" of TP's other Temples, I took great pleasure in whooping Zant's tail. :mastersword:

I actually liked the last two dungeons in TP, ok difficulty and good atmosphere, plus the wallmaster part with the sols was cool!

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I though that twilight dungeon was awsome. I like how the Master Sword glowed in the twilight. The dungeon was very creative and mysterious. But getting the sols were a pain. Getting to Zant was way awsome.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
Amazing. From the people to the setting, it really came out well. The only thing was, I thought is was supposed to be a mirror image of our beloved Hyrule, but it wasn't. I could see how different the two worlds really were. Midna showed you around, and you learned more of the Twili's history. Zant's three appearances were pretty weak though. It is the twilight, the alien world, yet the difficulty stayed the same. The collecting of the Sols were a pain though, with a giant hand crashing down on you. But the design was even more beautiful than the glimpses we saw of it trying to save our own Hyrule. I admit, it was very easy, but that wasn't the problem I had with it. I was hoping that I could explore more while I was there, but it was all about defeating Zant, so it became a little boring. And now for the battle with Zant. He is supposed to be the villian, supposed to be evil. Yet, the boss batte with him was so easy! He let you win. He let himself vunerable to your attacks. I was hoping for a challenge, but I never got it. He repeated what you had already done, what you had already experieneced. Because of this, it was like we weren't even fighting. I was just beating him down to size. The only interesting part of the battle was the last stage. His spinning technique knocked me down a few times, but I still was able to get up and fight him face to face. I was so glad when Midna finished off that wanna-be ruler. I wish that the fight had been more epic, instead of repeating what I had already done. Then again, it sharpened me skills gor the battle with Gannondorf, so I was greatful for that.

Beeker

Wild Card
The only problem I had with the Twilight Realm itself and the palace was the lack of exploration in the world. I love the Twilight Realm, it looks like a very interesting place. I liked the designs and runes on the walls and the distant islands and atmosphere. I only wish this area could've been explored a little more and that more interaction with the Twili themselves could have been done, instead of it becoming an area you would visit once and most likely never return to again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom