• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twilight Princess Why Do People Dislike It???

I

I am Error

Griping

I know this game has a lot of fans, and I also know it has a lot of haters as well. I try to play any game (in this franchise or otherwise) with an open mind. There were a number of things that I felt were good ideas, but were poorly executed. I loved the precision you could have while using your bow, slingshot, or clawshot in this one. I, however, didn't like the horse-based combat. Yeah, hate me if you want, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Using your bow or sword just felt kind of half-developed. I found myself really wishing I had bought the GCN version after awhile. Wiggling the controller to swing your sword was very annoying. A lot of times I had problems just getting Link to do the specific move I wanted, like a backslash and not a forward lunge attack.

Also, I really didn't feel connected to almost any of the characters. Midna was about the only exception just because of the personal growth she shows towards Link, Zelda, and the world of light in general. But, I didn't REALLY feel a pull to her. I kind of felt obligated to care about her. I mean, she goes through a lot to regain her kingdom, as well as her true form. But to be honest, most of the characters just seemed very one-dimensional and boring. Zelda was a big let down for me, now that I think about it. She shows up maybe three times the entire game, and I'm supposed to care about what happens to her? It's not like the Zelda's from other games were really much more involved, but this one just seemed so disconnected from the rest of the game. ALttP's Zelda was important because she was one of the seven maidens, and you had to save her all that. OoT's Zelda was important because of the whole being in disguise as Sheik thing. In this, though, she just seemed to be there to exist. Nothing else. She finally did something near the end by aiding in the final battle against Ganondorf, but it just felt like a rehash of older games.

I know that everything that could be said about Twilight Princess has been said to death, this is just for my own sake. I honestly liked the game, but I didn't feel accomplished or satisfied at the end of it all. I usually get the sense of accomplishment after each one I've beaten, but not this one. I was left wanting more by the end.

Anyway, that's all for now. I just want to state that I don't hate this game at all. It was fun and entertaining, but just wasn't all I had hoped it would be. I cannot wait for Skyward Sword. A whole new world to explore, and a whole new combat experience just makes me impatient to play it. Alright, I've stalled long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

swag

I think one of the reasons that Twilight princess was SORTA disliked (it was still a great game) was that it didnt seem to stick very well to its own storyline. it started off with your goal being one thing and then it just changed up your goal in the middle of the game after the first three dungeons. one of the things that was nice about previous zelda titles was that the objective was pretty clear within the first hour at the most, some even sooner than that. This rule previously stated applied to all the games, including windwaker though some less attentive zelda fans would disagree. in windwaker there was a major story change when you found out there was a world underwater, but the overall objective was unchanged by that, you still were hunting down the same badguy and you were doing it mostly above the surface, underwater was just for the master sword and the last dungeon. in twilight princess the main enemy till after the FOURTH DUNGEON, dead center of the game, was zant, but then gannondorf appears out of nowhere and ruins a perfectly good game by showing up in a title he simply should not have shown up in, it makes sense though because every title where you play in hyrule has gannondorf in it, physically or in spirit (meaning he is a major part but never physically seen, example: Zelda 2)
All in all, it was an entertaining way to waste 26 or so hours of my life playing videogames when they could have been spent actually having a life, but oh well, games are fun. personally this game is my fifth favorite
1. Oot
2. LoZ
3. Lttp
4. MM
5. Tp
6. WW
7. AoL (Don't hate, its fun if you are immune to boredom)
8. LA
9. TMC
10. OoS
11. OoA
Those are the ones i have actually played, TP is obviously above windwaker and the gameboy games so that alone is evidence of it not being a failure, the quality of zelda games has been, in my opinion, dropping off for the last decade or so and i'm hoping nintendo makes a game that fixes that because skyward simply won't do it, they need a new controller based game because motion controls didnt really feel right with a zelda game, especially one that i played through in 26 straight hours with five 10 minute breaks. i don't want to be standing up that long and motion controls don't work too well when you arent moving. well, thats about it for my zelda nerd rant. have a nice day, night, whatever it is where you people are from, and remember, the cdi games don't count!
-Swagnum Mcmancannon (Tingle invented this name himself, don't steal it)

T

TheEvilM13

I think most think that it is too easy and that it is the most steryotipical zelda game. You have to save hyrule, you become a hero, you meet other speices, and you fight ganondorf at the end.

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
Too Ocarina Too Ocarina I mean Wind Waker referenced it a LITTLE but Twilight Princess! Ugh well its still a good game a bit HUGE for my tastes though

K

Kieran-

I the only reason why I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess, is because it wasn't what I thought/hoped it to be. I remember it's original release date (for the Gamecube at the time I didn't own a Wii) and I was so pumped. But then, it got pushed back a few months, then another then another. It wasn't until Christmas I finally owned it and I was so pumped for it. But when i turned on my Gamecube, and put that disk in, it wasn't what i expected. I dunno that's my opinion, I mean heck i could get like flamed to hell because of my opinion but hey, i was pretty disappointed.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I actually don't dislike the game. I thought the overall story in of itself, and the dungeons plus bosses were very cool. The items were also very inventive, I loved them to death. That said, I didn't think the game was executed as well as it should have been. Up until the end of the Zant battle, I thought it was great. But, I think the random throwing in of Ganondorf was poorly executed, more poorly executed that anything. Being a big story buff, I think it is my single least favorite part of any canonical Zelda story. That said, I think the game is great in its own sense, if not a little random up onto that point. Without the inclusion of Ganondorf, I think it would have been amazing instead of great. As such, I consider the final battle with Ganondorf non-canonical in my personal Zelda story. I founs it more like a mini-filler at the end of the game.

The pathetic controls of the Wii version are a major factor. There are also those that complain that it's too big and too easy. I don't get it, but that's what they complain about.

I don't know why anyone would hate it. I've had a few zelda games for my handhelds as a kid but never got into cuz well.. I was an idiot. TP turned me into a huge zelda fan and it's a great game imo.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I love TP. It was my first Zelda, and my second favorite Zelda. But, I know what I dislike about it. I wish it had more sidequests, a better ending, and more cute cutscenes. The thing I hated about it was the final boss. He was pointless to the game.

When I was playing Twilight Princess I had a nagging feeling that this was all to familiar... And it was, I almost felt like I was playing an updated Ocarina. You could argue that OoT took more from ALttp but realize this: ALttp was 2D and OoT was 3D, so it at least felt like I was playing a different game. Besides, many, if not most of the locations in TP were based off of places in OoT. OoT didn't do that to aLttP, with a couple exeptions.

The Twilight thing was a good idea, but I liked it better in the beta, where instead of being all hazy and bright, it was simply in black and white.

I also really had a problem with the characters. Most of them were compkeatly forgettable, like that group that meets in the bar. Talo was annoying, Malo was...meh and Beth was also very agrivating.
I also didn't like Colin. They way that always managed to bring everything down isn't very likable.
Ilia was way too forced. At the beginning, It was already layed out that Link likes her. Even then she seemed to care more about Epona than Link. And after she gets her memory back, they just left her out of the main plotline. What?

And Zant? Oh boy. When he was introduced I thought "Oh man look at that bad-@$$! That is a Lord of Twilight!"
When he took off his mask, these were my exact thoughts, word for word (more or less).
"Oh, man, he's taking off his helmet! We finally get to see him face to face! I bet he's gonna look so...Oh. Wow. He's looks...well.. What is he doing? When did he become mentally insane? Oh, c'mon Zant, get off the floor, stop dancing like that!"
What a disapointment. Never again did he feel like the all-powerful Twilight overlord. No, now he's reduced to a happy-dancing, baby-crying lunatic.

It's a shame. The game had some great aspects however.

The sword-play was top-notch, the best in any 3D Zelda so far.
Midna was very well developed, no denying that.
IMO, I loved Hyrule Field. They're nothing like crossing the vast unknown on your trusty steed. Well maybe exept acutally doing it. I prefer a more open overworld, which why I loved TP's Hyrule Field and hated MM's Termina Field.
The landscape design was beautiful, the best in any Zelda, IMO.
The lantern cavern were just awesome, although I wish that they're were more caverns like that, kind of like all the caves on the islands in Wind Waker.

Well, I don't dislike it, per se, but when I played these factors always seemed to get in the way, mostly the first complant.

Last edited:
I love TP. It was my first Zelda, and my second favorite Zelda. But, I know what I dislike about it. I wish it had more sidequests, a better ending, and more cute cutscenes. The thing I hated about it was the final boss. He was pointless to the game.
You must be thinking of a different game, because TP is sidequest-tastic. The only Zelda game with more side quests was MM. That should have been called "Legend of Zelda: The Lost Sid Quests".

Rytex

Resident Netizen
You must be thinking of a different game, because TP is sidequest-tastic. The only Zelda game with more side quests was MM. That should have been called "Legend of Zelda: The Lost Sid Quests".

There were four, but it didn't have the second-most. There was the Malo Mart Sidequest, the Poes, the Bugs, and the Hidden Skills, right? If I remember, Minish Cap had more, since there were the Hidden Skills, the Picolyte, the Gorons, Gregor and the Ghost, the Magic Boomerang, the Tingle Statue, and the Deities and their houses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom