• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Twilight Princess - Who are the Main Characters of This Game?

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a very very odd game in the sense of how the characters are protrayed throughout this game. Link is still the hero of the goddesses, Zelda is still the princess in distress, and Ganondorf is still the final boss and main baddie at the end. However there's something wrong with this picture. Midna and Zant. These two fall into a strange complex category of Hero and Villian, that honestly is more powerful than the iconic 3 that is in the background. That is where it lead me to really see it.

Midna and Zant are the main characters of the game, while Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are actually plot devices that further add a complexity to Midna and Zant's story.

Now I know that seems like I just trashed Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, but it isn't a bad thing, it is a fresh way to look at them. We all expect the same conflict between the three. IN FACT if we were to remove Minda and Zant from the equasion, the game would of played out exactly the same. Link would of found his way to save the kingdom, he would of saved Zelda, and then defeated Ganondorf on his own if destiny played out. However Midna used Link's destiny and used the "hero of time" role to satisfy her own goals.

A supporting fact that made me realize that Link was in danger from straying from his path was the fused shadows quest. When he had a hallucination that was explained by the spirit. It showed that Midna was straying Link too far away from the path of the hero, and honestly, if it wasn't for Zant stepping in and interviening on them, causing Midna to be injured and having Link go back to Zelda to have Midna healed. Then I am pretty sure Link would of strayed far away from his path.

Zelda's role in this game is much of the wise old sage mixed with the damsel in distress as well as the true core zelda experience. She really didn't have much of a character besides taking pity upon Midna and befriending her for the sake of peace. She is mainly a catalyst for Link to become the hero and slay Ganondorf.

Ganondorf's role is by far the most complex in terms of being a plot device. In short though, Ganondorf presents himself as the role of the Devil in this game. A godlike being with imesurable power and influence, swaying the less fortunate into doing evil acts. Never dirtying his hands and letting others act out his will by fueling their own vices against them and others. In this case, Ganondorf in Twilight Princess is the moist Sinister because of his actions in this game, and how indirect he is.

To prove that point, I have to go into the character of Zant, who is the other end of the spectrum for Midna. Midna is the Princess of the Twili Realm, she is also of royal blood of her own kin, and has powers that other Twili don't have. It allows her to be such a high classed person in that realm. Zant is a low class pauper at first, he seems to be just a man that is living in the shadows and constantly has to live under so many that are above him. Something caused him to reach his lowest point in his life to where he feels nothing but pain and sorrow and is willing to do anything to fufil his vices and need for power. That's where Ganondorf comes in, he's a godlike being in the eyes of a commoner. Ganondorf though, is weakened thanks to the Sages impaleing him and sealing him away, and he does need help. So the way I see it is, playing a god... or better words... "The Devil" to Zant. He makes an offer for ultimate power and dominance in the Twili Realm in return for his soul and his obedience when need be. Zant being desperate for power takes it willingly and becomes the Usurper King Zant.

All this took place off screen except for snips of clips that we get to see before the fight against Zant. But you can hear it in his voice and see it in his actions, he's a weakling, he has no idea how to really wield power in the presence of someone that is truly more powerful than him. He acts like a fool during his fight. Hopping around, making obnoxious noises, dancing around. He is clearly not the strong unstoppable force that we saw when he corrupted Midna when he forced you to be stuck in the wolf form. He's just off. He doesn't know what to do. And when you fight him through the different parts of the battle, you get to the last sequence of the fight. Where he flails around like a madman and tries to take on a polished swordsman (IE Link). And gets mutilated.

Midna succeeds at regaining her kingdom, but she does fufil her promise to save Zelda and help Link fufil his destiny. She is willing to sacrifice herself and she changed from being selfish to knowing what is best for both her world, and their world as a seasoned leader thanks to the travels she has been on.

But something odd happens at the end, when Ganondorf is slayed, there's this odd scene where you see Zant just staring at Ganondorf just looking overconfidant but still defeated. And then Zant makes a breaking snap noise...... while tilting his neck... And Ganondorf proceeds to die. That tells me one thing.... If Ganondorf was depending on Zant's life to live. Then Zant sacrificed himself to right his wrongs or get vengence for being lied to by a false god.

I donno, I see the story as that, while Link's personal struggle with Ilia and the children gets resolved along with it, but it is a minor story in the grand scheme.

I'd like Comments, input on this theroy... I just see it this way......

Thank you for your time
-Medri

Last edited:

Kybyrian

That's interesting, but maybe you aren't getting the idea of a main character. Certainly, Midna and Zant are characters that have their own stories to them, but they take more in-depth analysis to really get to their cores. They each have their own story to end in the game, but neither is the main character. The main characters in the story can be defined as the protagonist and the antagonist. It's very simply defined in Twilight Princess. The antagonist is one who is trying to dominate and take over Hyrule, which at first appears as Zant, but then is later revealed to be Ganondorf, as he's working behind Zant. Then, of course, Link is the one to ultimately step up and defeat Ganondorf. This is what makes them the main characters. Zelda is less of a main character, even, but she's still part of the game's focus.

Just because Midna and Zant each had their own story to tell, neither was the main story of the game, which makes them completely separate from the actual main characters of the game.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
That's interesting, but maybe you aren't getting the idea of a main character. Certainly, Midna and Zant are characters that have their own stories to them, but they take more in-depth analysis to really get to their cores. They each have their own story to end in the game, but neither is the main character. The main characters in the story can be defined as the protagonist and the antagonist. It's very simply defined in Twilight Princess. The antagonist is one who is trying to dominate and take over Hyrule, which at first appears as Zant, but then is later revealed to be Ganondorf, as he's working behind Zant. Then, of course, Link is the one to ultimately step up and defeat Ganondorf. This is what makes them the main characters. Zelda is less of a main character, even, but she's still part of the game's focus.

Just because Midna and Zant each had their own story to tell, neither was the main story of the game, which makes them completely separate from the actual main characters of the game.

I don't feel as though that Link and Ganondorf are the central focus of the game, and I don't see them as the main characters, they're just so distant and part of the land, while Midna and Zant seem to be the two that are really fighting.

I guess it is just my point of view.

Kybyrian

It could very well be that way if you look at it from another point of view, yes, but it's not the point of view intended for the game. The main story is that a kingdom is plunged into chaos, and the princess is kidnapped by an evil force. This evil force is revealed to be Ganondorf working behind Zant, so Ganondorf can take over Hyrule. That's the simple story right there, the one most noticeable. It's the story that's been relayed to us so many times in reference to Twilight Princess, and the one that was intended. Just because a separate story is told between two more characters doesn't mean it's the main story, regardless of whether you can focus on it through your own point of view or not. Ganondorf may have had a more scarce role throughout the game, but it doesn't mean he's not the main antagonist.

I don't see how you don't feel that Link and Ganondorf are the central focus. Ganondorf manipulated the Usurper King to cast twilight across Hyrule and kidnap Princess Zelda. He's the puppetmaster behind the scenes of the entire game. Every single event that went down in Twilight Princess was ultimately because of the action of Ganondorf. There would be no story to tell between Midna and Zant if there wasn't a Ganondorf.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I agree. We play as Link as a window into a bigger story. Link's problems motivate us through the game so that we can see the true story of Midna and Zant play out. I think this is true for several Zelda games, and seems like it's the direction the series is headed. In Skyward Sword, Link is acting as the hero of the goddess in a war between the goddess and Demise. Hylia, Zelda, and Fi are highlighted as the main powers of good combating Demise and Ghirahim, while Link is simply fulfilling his destined role in their conflict.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
I agree. We play as Link as a window into a bigger story. Link's problems motivate us through the game so that we can see the true story of Midna and Zant play out. I think this is true for several Zelda games, and seems like it's the direction the series is headed. In Skyward Sword, Link is acting as the hero of the goddess in a war between the goddess and Demise. Hylia, Zelda, and Fi are highlighted as the main powers of good combating Demise and Ghirahim, while Link is simply fulfilling his destined role in their conflict.

I saw more characterization for Link and Zelda in Skyward Sword but I see what you mean.

The reason I point it out so boldly for Twilight Princess is because of how subdued Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are throughout the game and how bold Midna and Zant are.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This is very possible, and not an overt factor. I've noticed myself that Midna manipulated Link simply to expedite her restoration to the throne of the Twili tribe. In fact the game is called Twilight Princess, which is her title as leader in the Twilight Realm. Makes me wonder if that'd also be the case in her adult form... At any rate, it seems--very indirectly--as though she could be the main protagonist, and like you pointed out Midna was something of a motivational force that guided Link to his ultimate goal: the Master Sword. Without that he could never have completed his destiny as "The goddesses' chosen hero" or "Hero of Time" (which he's also called in TP) through defeating Ganondorf. But if Midna had accomplished her own goal--toppling the Usurper King--why did she continue on to Ganon? I surmise that she felt bad about exploiting Link and was equally saddened by witnessing the devastation Ganon had cast over Hyrule with his pall of shadow.

A

Azure Kite

Personally, I agree with you. Everything involving Link in the story gets resolved quickly, but then afterwards, you're sort of forced to do things as Midna's minion, of sorts. Link, being kind and knowing that removing the Fused Shadows would probably be a good idea if he wanted to save his homeland, just followed quietly and did as he was told. It's sort of sad when you look back and sort of realize that, knowing the character you're playing as is nothing more than a plot device and you're just doing the bidding of Midna. But... I still enjoy the game for what it is and has to offer.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
This is very possible, and not an overt factor. I've noticed myself that Midna manipulated Link simply to expedite her restoration to the throne of the Twili tribe. In fact the game is called Twilight Princess, which is her title as leader in the Twilight Realm. Makes me wonder if that'd also be the case in her adult form... At any rate, it seems--very indirectly--as though she could be the main protagonist, and like you pointed out Midna was something of a motivational force that guided Link to his ultimate goal: the Master Sword. Without that he could never have completed his destiny as "The goddesses' chosen hero" or "Hero of Time" (which he's also called in TP) through defeating Ganondorf. But if Midna had accomplished her own goal--toppling the Usurper King--why did she continue on to Ganon? I surmise that she felt bad about exploiting Link and was equally saddened by witnessing the devastation Ganon had cast over Hyrule with his pall of shadow.

Well Midna chose to help Link after she found out that Zant got his power from Ganondorf, though the problem was solved during the fight with Zant. Though the source of the problem was Ganondorf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom